Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 06:02 PM

70 posts, read 212,822 times

Advertisements

My mom just called me because her cockatiel is eggbound....she's frustrated because she cannot find an aviary clinic open in or around the Waxhaw area. She asked me two things...find out if there are any safe home remedies or find a clinic, she's got 4 birds and is FREAKIN' out right now about this one...
I've searched and can find neither answer for her...Please someone help with good advice or a 24 hour clinic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 07:20 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,361 times
Where are you located?

I don't know if our vet that deals with birds is in tomorrow, but if she is, I can ask her. I know we have had lots of birds come in with this problem, but I honestly don't recall ever being around when she talks about treatment

You can always call a local vet and ask if they know of anyone that treats birds...we get alot of calls like that, and if our vet is out, we have others in the area to recommend, so someone should be able to help you. I would also think that a thorough look through the yellow pages might turn something up.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I will try to find some info.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:45 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
I belong to a Yahoo Group for Conure owners. You might try looking up a Yahoo group for Cockatiel owners and they would be more than happy to help answer your questions.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:20 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdei38 View Post
My mom just called me because her cockatiel is eggbound....she's frustrated because she cannot find an aviary clinic open in or around the Waxhaw area. She asked me two things...find out if there are any safe home remedies or find a clinic, she's got 4 birds and is FREAKIN' out right now about this one...
I've searched and can find neither answer for her...Please someone help with good advice or a 24 hour clinic...
I don't know what state Waxhaw is in??

But, yes, you definitely do need an Avian vet to help with your eggbound cockatiel. Finding a cockatiel group, as TwinkleToes suggested, is great advice.

I would also do a search for "Avian Vet" in your state. They are not plentiful - you might have to travel quite a distance. My avain vet here in Jax, FL has clients that come from states away to see her because they do not have an avian vet near them.

If you have a bird, you need to have an avian vet.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:24 PM

Ssdei, not that this is of any help right now, but a great gift idea for your mom is a subscription to Bird Talk magazine. They always have a lot of great articles on care of your pet birds. I keep all of my issues and refer to them from time to time when I need an answer and I remember reading something about it in the past. I would have pulled one of them out and answered your question but I'm in the process of moving and they are all packed away!

Old 06-08-2007, 02:39 PM

70 posts, read 212,822 times
Default Eggbound bird (Lucky)

I haven't posted for a bit but I wanted to say thank you for all the help.

I hate posting this but Lucky did pass away...the night I posted, my mother got in touch with a few vets who help birds....but the best appointment she could get with an avian clinic was too late....

She took the bird in and the vet immediately put her on oxygen..

Mom got to hold her and tell her goodbye as she passed away.

The vet explained that old age may be the cause of death. Mom acquired this bird 10 years ago when she landed on my dad's shoulder while he was working in the yard. Who knows her age when she landed at their home...She may have been 10 years old then...

Thanks for the replies everyone...

Old 06-08-2007, 05:43 PM

I am so sorry to hear this very sad news. My condolences to both you and your mom.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:31 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
So sorry to hear that.

Maybe when your mom is ready, she'll want another. If so, the avian vet may be able to help - they often know of good birds needing homes.

Last edited by riveree; 06-08-2007 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: correction to vet sentence...you have the avian vet now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds