Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 05:41 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,186,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Potty training for parrots ? Any reference ...?
You asked for knowledge & experience, which is what I gave you. However, since you asked, I simply googled "potty training parrots" and loads of articles came up. Here are the first few:
http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww71eii.htm, http://www.petplace.com/birds/potty-train-your-parrot-easy-as-1-2-3/page1.aspx, http://www.mit.edu/~rei/birds-potty.html, http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Potty-Train-Your-Parrot&id=486427, http://birds.about.com/od/behaviorandtraining/a/pottytraining.htm, http://www.ehow.com/how_2385014_potty-train-parrot.html.

I have to question, however, how much time/effort you are willing to invest to own a parrot, when putting three words into a search engine was too much work. Parrot ownership requires you expend a lot of both.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
He would eat and have corn crud all over his beak, then shake his head and that would fly everywhere.
I always feed mine cooked corn on the cob, cooled down to room temperature, but I had to chuckle because that is a great description of what they do

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
The larger parents need physical interaction with their owners, they need toys and things to play with, they need different stimuli so they do not get bored.
All parrots require this, not just the larger ones.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:33 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,508,787 times
I have two parrots, one greenwinged macaw and one electus parrot. Both are rehomed parrots the owners could not take care of. Parrots especially the Macaw are messy.....not oh little messy A LOT messy. Plus you have to keep very fresh veggies and fruits along with there seed diet. You have to maintain there cage or you will get rodents and other not so nice bugs with many legs. Macaws are very smart birds. You must give undivided attention to them or they become destructive and mean. They always need play time, which intells chewings wood and other birdie toys. They do get board rather quick. Electus are a bit smaller in size more of a medium parrot, less messy on the feather side but still messy on the eating and playing side. Same needs of attention. My advice get a small bird love it and take care of it. They too live long.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:10 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,702,489 times
I would suggest you go to a Rescue and talk with them, maybe do some volunteer work so you can see how much time and effort are involved with caring for these highly intelligent creatures.

Parrots are not domesticated animals, they are wild. Think of them as a two year running around with a pair of scissors.

There are countless avian websites and forums for you to google but the best thing you can do is hands on volunteer work.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,475,988 times
A personal experience may be better than an article in Google,that's why I originated this thread,instead of only going Google..

So far,your experiences were valuable info...

So a parrot needs ...a family,so that at least 1 person can play with him everyday...
I say him because I think only the males are joyful,the females are...chicken...

Old 01-26-2010, 05:51 PM

They need humans to interact with, but a one person family would be just fine if that person can devote the amount of time/energy required on a daily basis

Not only do parrots need the daily human interaction and fresh food, they need to be bathed frequently too. Rain forest birds, for example, should be at least misted daily and have a bath which soaks them at least couple of times/week. This helps keep their feathers in prime condition. Some parrots enjoy being misted with a spray bottle for their baths, others enjoy splashing in a bowl of room temperature water, while others prefer going into the shower with you. (Then again, there are a few who just do not like any types of baths - yet they are essential to a parrot's health.)

Both males and females can be quite playful. It depends upon the bird.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,853,741 times
Quote:
A personal experience may be better than an article in Google,that's why I originated this thread,instead of only going Google..

So far,your experiences were valuable info...

So a parrot needs ...a family,so that at least 1 person can play with him everyday...
I say him because I think only the males are joyful,the females are...chicken...
Please don't get a large parrot.

I hope you don't find this offensive but it appears you want one for fairly selfish reasons (so you don't have to watch a pet die) and that your commitment may wane when the honeymoon is over. Also, if you are planning on passing prior to the bird, how will you care and nurture it in your latter days? Have you considered the detrimental effect on the bird if you do die before he or she does?

It sounds like the advice above about a smaller species it simply fantastic.

I recently acquired an African Grey that I have been seeking advice and counsel on here ( New Grey Owner and need a "help" thread (http://www.birdboard.com/forum/african-grey/958410-new-grey-owner-need-help-thread.html - broken link) ) and I can tell you that these birds deserve owners that are willing to do anything for them and not just seclude them in some makeshift backyard aviary.

It's just not right for the birds.

These animals are wired to live in jungles and have vast amounts of stimulation. Please, for the birds sake, reconsider your species.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:26 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,475,988 times
I understand that u r a whole-hearted animal lover,so u should appreciate my...humane affection for parrots,due to their longevity & intelligence...

I plan to play with them every day & if I am absent,the wife & ...future kids will be there...

I would never degrade myself to cause harm to an animal,by abandonig it or mistreating it...
That's why I cannot take a dog,watch it grow old & eventually euthanise it & then ...cynically buy...a new one...

Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,363,999 times
Quote:
I understand that u r a whole-hearted animal lover,so u should appreciate my...humane affection for parrots,due to their longevity & intelligence...

I plan to play with them every day & if I am absent,the wife & ...future kids will be there...

I would never degrade myself to cause harm to an animal,by abandonig it or mistreating it...
That's why I cannot take a dog,watch it grow old & eventually euthanise it & then ...cynically buy...a new one...
I completely agree. Buying a dog to replace a previously purchased dog is not the way to go, especially with the millions of homeless dogs out there. So why not adopt a dog? Save a dog's life by going to your local dog pound and adopt a dog in need? You will no doubt grieve when that dog passes, but this opens up a spot for you to adopt a second dog in need. Look at as saving a dog's life .

On the parrot perspective, I have two. A grey and a conure. And yes, they are high maintenance, messy, messy creatures . They are expensive as well. I don't mean the price tag on the bird (again, there are many that need rehoming), I mean the vet care and such. For my 2 birds' basic vet care, I spend about $1400/year. That's just regular checkups and grooming. When there have been health or emergency issues, forget about it - thousands! Then there's special parrot food, fruits and veggies every day, toys that will need regular replacement...

Read up as much as you can, on the internet and specialty bird magazines (they have them at Barnes and Noble). Make sure you have access to an avian vet (they are not in every city), you'll need one.

Oh, and parrots can be loud...very loud!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,231,309 times
What the others are saying about reading up and volunteering is right on. I would go further and say that if you've never had a bird before, a large species is a risky proposition. If I had a dime for every time I've heard, "But I'll take care of it and play with it every day" and then seen a bird end up relinquished for adoption, I could buy everyone who has responded to this thread so far a nice lunch.

I would visit a bird sanctuary or rescue before going any further. Really. I know your intentions are nothing but good, but so were the intentions of every other person who found they couldn't take the noise, the mess, the boarding when they want to go on vacation, the behavior, the time, the work, the expense, the education, and the pain. Yes, pain--I don't care how much you know about birds and how well you treat yours, you WILL get bitten at some point, and more than once, hard, enough to draw blood. That's one more reason not to get a large bird as your "starter" bird, actually.

Also, visit the websites of bird sanctuaries and rescues. [URL="http://www.phoenixlanding.org/"]Phoenix Landing,[/URL] the one where I adopted my Green Cheek, has a good site.

And for the love of heaven, don't get a cockatoo, especially if you're going to work outside the home and there's any chance he or she will be alone for much of the day. This [URL="http://www.mytoos.com/"]very sad site[/URL] will show you why. My vet actually links to it from his own web site, and he wouldn't do that unless it was the truth. Also, my boyfriend has a cockatoo and I can promise you that they are VERY emotional, needy birds. (Fortunately, he has three other birds, too, so the cockatoo is never entirely alone.)

Research, research, research, and best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds