Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:00 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,476 times

Advertisements

Come on,first I have a contract with God to live to 100,second ,my yet unborn children will take care of my parrots...
I understand occasional flesh eating by greys,but...eating your own kind..?
I see in documentaries that only in the final phase of starvation do animals (...& humans) turn to cannibalism...

Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
I see in documentaries that only in the final phase of starvation do animals (...& humans) turn to cannibalism...
Nope. As Jane Goodall discovered, chimps do it and they were not starving.

But you're lumping all parrots together - big mistake. As was posted a Patagonian ate a smaller species, a conure. That's like a saying a mountain lion ate a domestic cat (which they do when they can).

While all parrots are of the same family (psittacidae), they are then different according to genus and species. It's a far cry from cannibalism.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:58 PM

Ok...

Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 5,188 times
Quote:
I will soon relocate to a country home in Mia,with enough place for a little parrot house...
I am fascinated by the intelligence & the longevity of talking parrots...

Do they really live 50 years,in a protected environment ?

I welcome comments from anyone who likes & owns parrots...
I have a parakeet (Budgie)-a breed of parrot- I have had birdiegirl for 8 years and she is a joy- she is so smart- I do spend a lot of time with her-she loves to sit on my shoulder and move around the house-she will fly over and give me kisses if I pretend to cry- I think 2 of the most important things to give any bird is attention and free fly time.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:24 AM

Correct,I would never imprison any bird in a cage,in fact there has to be a law for minimum dimensions of cages...

Old 03-21-2010, 12:23 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Quote:
Correct,I would never imprison any bird in a cage,in fact there has to be a law for minimum dimensions of cages...
completely contradictory to your posts in your eagle thread..

Old 03-21-2010, 02:23 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
That is not a pretty mental imagine of a bird always allowed to fly free within a home. Besides the obvious, pooping all over the place, they would chew up everything in sight. That would be clothes, any fabric, any paper, plants (you better hope there are no toxic plants in your home), everything they could get their beaks on. You would have to keep your curtains closed and dark all of the time or they would fly into the windows and break their necks. Also be careful going out and entering the house so that they do not fly out. When you are cooking anything there is a constant danger of the bird getting too close or right in a pan, hot liquid, or on a burner. And always watch where you are walking or one could be on the floor, or on the couch seat you were about to sit on etc.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:01 PM

That's why I plan a birdhouse...

As for the eagles, if I ever make good money,I can offer them a generous "enclosed area" ...
If they became domesticated,then they could live free,like trained falcons...
I wonder why hasn't anybody done it yet,given the popularity of bald eagles...
They are the equivalent of a lion & economical in domestication,if that could happen...

Old 03-21-2010, 02:13 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
That is not a pretty mental imagine of a bird always allowed to fly free within a home. Besides the obvious, pooping all over the place, they would chew up everything in sight. That would be clothes, any fabric, any paper, plants (you better hope there are no toxic plants in your home), everything they could get their beaks on. You would have to keep your curtains closed and dark all of the time or they would fly into the windows and break their necks. Also be careful going out and entering the house so that they do not fly out. When you are cooking anything there is a constant danger of the bird getting too close or right in a pan, hot liquid, or on a burner. And always watch where you are walking or one could be on the floor, or on the couch seat you were about to sit on etc.
My birds have free run of the place when I'm home. And you know what? They just hang out on top of their cages. Sometimes the smaller one flies up onto the kitchen cupboard if something startles him, but that's about it. Otherwise, they hang out, go in their cages on their own and play with their toys, eat, or nap. When I'm watching TV, I put old sheets down on the couch and they sit with me, and they have their own towels and quilts to chew up, poop on, and so on. (Yes, I do a lot of laundry.)

I don't keep the blinds closed all of the time--they're vertical, but the slats are open--nor is it dark all of the time. I do, however, keep the lid down on the toilet. When I'm cooking, they go in their cages with the doors closed.

Birds won't go too far in a house if they have everything they need in close proximity, especially larger ones.

However, you do need to be vigilant about doors, lamps that get hot, and ceiling fans. NEVER use a ceiling fan when birds are out.

And never use air fresheners, Carpet Fresh, aerosols, candles, or non-stick cookware. All of them can kill a bird.

Otherwise, you just need to watch your bird. Out time should be supervised.

Here's a story for you: There was a family in northern Virginia who had a hyacinth macaw that had free run of the house even when they weren't home. The bird didn't destroy anything because he had his food, water, toys, and perches all close by.

One day, the family came home to find that someone had broken in. The bird was still on its perch--and there were two human fingers on the carpet.

The bird had attacked the intruder, bitten off two of his fingers, and then gone back to his perch.

P.S. The police caught the guy by checking the local hospitals to see who had come in missing fingers.

Last edited by Yzette; 03-21-2010 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: I can haz spelling?

Old 03-21-2010, 03:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
This thread is getting ridiculous with the mention of eagles in captivity. As has been explained several times both here and in the eagle thread, ain't gonna happen. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds