Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:08 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,476 times

Advertisements

I believe eagles & especially the bald kind,are fascinating many bird lovers..
I know about hawks but somehow...I prefer the beauty of an eagle...
I wonder if bald eagles can be domesticated,kept as domestic birds...
in a spacious birdhouse... wide,high,long...

Perhaps raised in captivity,fed with non-flesh food,so as to minimise their meat-eating instincts...

If anyone has any experience on domestication ,he can share it with us...

Old 03-05-2010, 07:15 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
I don't have any experience with raising eagles, but..

1. Eagles are primarily carnivorous- they eat fish and carrion and whatnot. Good luck making one a vegetarian.

2. I would venture a guess that raising a bald eagle for a pet would probably be illegal for a regular Joe to do.

3. Birds like these, I feel, are much more beautiful when seen in the wild, seeing an eagle as a caged bird would be sorta depressing.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:21 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
No no no no no

They should not be domesticated. Please note even if that were a good idea there are some serious licenses you would need to get to keep them. Not least of which they need to be viewable by the public.

You cannot do anything about them eating meat. It is what they eat. Period.

I have the honor of working with several in connection with wildlife rehabilitation. They are wonderful. They are majestic. But they are not interactive and would make horrible pets. The only reason we keep those we do is because they are unable to return to the wild (incapable of flying due to traumatic wing injury, etc.) Although I love working with them it pales in comparison to seeing them in the wild where they should be.

As a rehabber I try to get these animals back into the wild and hate the thought of eagles that are able to survive in the wild being kept in captivity.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 PM

Your comments on the... temper of BE are helpful,but I am not taking about...incarceration .
I imagine a " birdhouse " 50 ft long by 10 wide by 20 high...
If domesticated,they might be as loyal as trained hawks,live in semi-captivity...
I could persuade any authority about the good care I would provide to BEs...

Old 03-05-2010, 07:46 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
50 ft long is about two or three wingbeats for a bald eagle. Not that they would really fly that much unless you had the time to either fly them on a creance or run them back and forth from one end to the other.

I disagree with their "domestication" on many levels.

But again I think it is all an academic exercise anyway because it is VERY difficult to get a license to keep an eagle.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,368 times
Harry, it may not be a simple matter of "persuading" an authority that you could take good care of it. They are federally protected, and I would imagine it will be next to impossible to get a private ownership lic. for one. You may want to think about offering your time to a rehab facility- this would be a good way for you to interact in close proximity to the eagles while helping them. Whatever you decide to do, be sure to give it plenty of thought. Good luck!

As an aisde, a bit off topic but still related to BE & other birds, I just want to mention something I only discovered in recent years... dunno why I was in the dark about it, or if it is simply not widely known... either way in case there are others out there who are out of the loop- I always knew that you couldn't have a bald eagle feather in your possesion, but I had no clue that the same goes for any species of bird native to the US. A crime to have a single blue jay feather? Yup. A crime to pick up and keep a fallen bird's nest? Yup. A crime to collect the broken empty shell of a robin's egg? Yup. I learned all this when I started to go into taxidermy and was shocked... I collected all of these sorts of things when I was a kid!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Please don't. Eagles have a HUGE range, and what you describe would be torture for the bird.

If I recall correctly, you were interested in parrots on another thread.

I don't say this to insult you, but I really feel that you are not prepared or knowledgeable enough for any kind of bird right now. Please do not get one of any kind until you speak to an avian vet in person, as well as talk to your local bird clubs and sanctuaries.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Eagles have a HUGE range, and what you describe would be torture for the bird.

If I recall correctly, you were interested in parrots on another thread.

I don't say this to insult you, but I really feel that you are not prepared or knowledgeable enough for any kind of bird right now.
AMEN.

I have replied repeatedly in the parrots thread and while I certainly do not expect my word, or that of any of the other parrot owners who replied, to be taken as gospel - I DO expect that anyone who is truly interested in keeping parrots to at least go away and do the research using what's been posted as a spring board to further learning or understanding. You seem to have done nothing of the sort. Now it's bald eagles? What's tomorrow, a condor?

Er, by the way, you do live in Florida, correct? See lots of bald eagles flying around the Miami suburbs do you?

You have about the same chance of getting a license to keep a captive bald eagle as you have of getting one to raise panda bears. Here, I tell you what - try pandas first. The Chinese government's mission in DC is listed in the phone book, I'm sure.

Crow Girl - I'm green with jealousy and there is much gnashing of teeth going on here... First it was vultures, now it's eagles. I bet tomorrow you're going to tell me you've rehabed owls. If you say owls, I'm going to get so jealous, I shall cry. *sniffles in preparation*

Sheridan... so the wild turkey feathers I've just picked up off the ground are illegal? Ye gads, that I never knew. Could I claim it was an illegal turkey, you know... just slipped across the border when no one was looking? "Honestly Officer, it was gobbling in a totally foreign gobble. Couldn't understand a word of it."

Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
An Eagle feather, claw - or even red tail hawk in my past knowlelge someone can turn you in and your screwed by federal Law. Felony.

Friend of mine years ago had a license to get a Hawk from the nest it took him over 12 years to accomplish to get an egg not a bird.

The Red Tail hawk and Bald eagle feathers were illegal in WA as of 5 years ago but Turkey? you can hunt them in WA .... Have bald eagle feathers and Red Tail Hawk along with Turkey butts in my house.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 AM

I am sorry to see my good intentions to be misunderstood by suspicious commentators...

I plan to have a large,by urban standards estate,some 5 acres...
So,a birdhouse for parrots is feasible & I will certainly do it.

Apart from the realistic & feasible parrothouse,I have that dream with eagles.
I've seen videos with trained hawks & I wonder if the same may happen with eagles.

The issue is that simple.
An eaglehouse would be just for the beginning,until they were trained...
Then they would live unrestrained, like the trained hawks,without the barbaric eye cover...

I think that people like me,who are willing to make a good deed without asking any gov grant or money at all,should be encouraged by the authorities...

If that species of the bald eagle has legal problems,then what about...the next best species..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds