Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:41 AM

8 posts, read 17,400 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are moving to Birmingham in a month. Can you please suggest an apartment/townhome complex in a safe/friendly neighbourhood with good schools. Proximity to a not-so-expensive golf course would be realy great!

Thanks,
gobindaas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 09:27 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,545 times
What age children, and what budget?

Old 07-08-2010, 01:56 AM

6 yrs and 3 yrs.
Max I can afford is $1000.

Thanks for replying to my question.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM

Look for Hoover, Homewood and Vestavia schools. You really can't go wrong with any of those. 3BR apartments can get expensive, but if the kids can share a bedroom, that will help with the cost. I haven't been inthe apartment market for 15 years, so I can't couch for current conditions. But I would definitely visit the apartment complexes by driving through in the evenings or weekends and see how it looks -- teenagers rambling about, lots of people working on cars, etc. might not be what you want with little kids. Check out some of the complexes off 150 in Hoover, or in Cahaba Heights (Vestavia).

There are tons of golf courses, and many that are either municipal or open to the public. Some in the city, some west of town, some south of town. None are what I would consider a "long" drive from anywhere, particularly if you stay central in the Homewood/Hoover/Vestavia areas.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:46 PM

156 posts, read 304,122 times
You might try The Reserve at Lake Heather. If you are signing a year or longer lease, you should be able to get a nice sized 3 bdrm for a little over $1000/mo. It is in a really good school district--Greystone Elem which is a Hoover City school. Something to remember when checking apt websites--many complexes are discounting rent off of their published "market" rates. There are other nice apt complexes in the same area (hwy 280 corridor). Look for those in the Oak Mt school district or Hoover district.

We looked at a couple of complexes in the area that were zoned for B'ham City schools. You do NOT want those apts if you are putting your child in public school. It's a shame because they were both really nice apts--Crowne at Grandview and Springs at Greystone. Most of the 280 corridor is Shelby County (Oak Mountain Schools) or Hoover, but there are isolated pockets of land annexed into the city of Bham. Just verify the school district before signing a lease.

There is a complex in Cahaba Heights called Breckenridge that I liked, but they didn't have any 3 bdrms at the time. It's a great location though and in Vestavia (excellent) schools. Rent was $975. Older property.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2010, 01:00 AM

Jakabedy: Appreciate your inputs on what to avoid when zeroing in on the apartment. I prefer a 3 BR, because, though my kids share a room, I can use the 3rd as my home office.

Autiger92: Thanks a lot for cautioning me on the school district zones. I will take that into consideration. My work place is going to be on the corporate parkway off 280. The reserve at lake heather looked impressive on the website, not sure if the published rates are correct, if that is the case, 3BR is too expensive, I thought.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:23 PM

156 posts, read 304,122 times
Don't go by those published rates. I am pretty sure when I talked to them at their office (at Lake Heather), they quoted me right around $1000/mo with a 12 month lease. To give you another example of the discounts you might get-- We ended up renting at The Parc at Cahaba River. The published "market" rate on their website is 1250-1280 per month, but we got their discounted rate -- $975 per month--and that was on a 6 month lease--for a 3 bdrm. I didn't suggest Parc at Cahaba for you because it's Jefferson Co schools. (Gresham Elem.) I think it's "ok" but not as good as Hoover or Oak Mt.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:00 AM

I will call the office and find out. By the way, I believe Hoover schools start on Aug 11. If I end up moving to Birmingham mid September, will I be able to get admission? I am not at all familiar with the US school system. My daughter completed 6 years by June end. So, she will be eligible for Grade 1 I believe. My son will complete 4 years by mid October 2011. If the cutoff date for eligibility is September end, he will miss it by 13 days. Should he have to wait another year to get into kindergarten?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:48 AM

There is no cut-off date for admission to public schools (private schools might be a different matter). If you move into the area mid-term, you simply go to the school your child is zoned for and register your child.

If your children are coming from another system (or another country, it appears) the school will probably want to meet the children and possibly give them a placement exam to determine which grades they should be placed in.

I believe Kindergarten in schools here starts at age 5 (5K), but you'd have to contact the school system to see if they have a 4K program.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM

897 posts, read 2,454,288 times
[quote=jakabedy;15016683]There is no cut-off date for admission to public schools (private schools might be a different matter). If you move into the area mid-term, you simply go to the school your child is zoned for and register your child.

If your children are coming from another system (or another country, it appears) the school will probably want to meet the children and possibly give them a placement exam to determine which grades they should be placed in.

I believe Kindergarten in schools here starts at age 5 (5K), but you'd have to contact the school system to see if they have a 4K program.[/quo

The cutoff date is Sept 1- so your son must be 5 by then-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area