Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:36 AM

15 posts, read 61,602 times

Advertisements

in BHAM? What is the area around the Avondale park like???? Is it safe??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
We lived a block away from Avondale Park for 15 years, on the South side of Fifth Avenue, only moving 1.5 years ago.

We have nothing but great memories for that neighborhood. It's a very tight-knit community where people feel safe to walk in the evenings. The park itself gets used by a broad community of people. My son's little league games often lasted until 9 p.m. at night, and we felt perfectly safe walking home through the park afterwards.

What's more, Avondale Park is the site for a number of activities from art shows to cultural festivals and more. If the park were unsafe, then none of those events would take place.

Yes, on the northern side of Fifth Avenue, the neighborhood looks a bit seedy. But it really is an area that's coming back nicely and, compared to large parts of the city, has a low crime rate. In the years we lived there, we experienced no crime--even in the first years when the neighborhood looked a lot more dubious than it does now.

Of course, you still have to be alert. It is an urban environment after all.

So enjoy the neighborhood. It really is a great, great place to live.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 AM

15 posts, read 61,602 times
thanks so much, sounds great were moving there in a couple months!!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisville View Post
thanks so much, sounds great were moving there in a couple months!!
Cool. Do you have a house nailed down? I can probably give you even more skinny if you give me a street.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,059 times
I am a social worker who specializes in mental health, and I have a lot of clients in Avondale who receive supportive housing and services through the community psychiatry program. There is a huge problem with drugs, prostitution and crime--I am always having to run off dealers from the area, and several of my clients have been robbed. I don't know what part you are moving to, but the area I cover is from 43rd-49th st. s. Not trying to be negative, just thought I would offer insight from the perspective of someone who is there daily and knows the going ons of things. I am sure there are parts that aren't like what I experience, but I don't know of it.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
I am a social worker who specializes in mental health, and I have a lot of clients in Avondale who receive supportive housing and services through the community psychiatry program. There is a huge problem with drugs, prostitution and crime--I am always having to run off dealers from the area, and several of my clients have been robbed. I don't know what part you are moving to, but the area I cover is from 43rd-49th st. s. Not trying to be negative, just thought I would offer insight from the perspective of someone who is there daily and knows the going ons of things. I am sure there are parts that aren't like what I experience, but I don't know of it.
Depends on if you're north or South of Fifth Avenue. HUGE difference. I would know since I lived there 15 years.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:35 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,059 times
I hear you. I usually am in between 4th and 3rd ave. south, and though there are lots of good people and families there the chief complaint I hear from them is drugs and theft. Might only be some, but it seems to have made a lot of people move. I don't know if it is recent, or if it is confined only to those areas.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 PM

3 posts, read 14,543 times
My wife and I are looking at a house in Avondale as it is very close to where I work and go to school. I have toured the house and I like it a lot, but I am skeptical about the neighborhood. I have an infant son and my wife is a stay at home mom. Is it safe? The address is 4222 2nd Ave. It appears there are some sex offenders in the Avondale area (4 total I believe).

Old 06-04-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilpaba View Post
My wife and I are looking at a house in Avondale as it is very close to where I work and go to school. I have toured the house and I like it a lot, but I am skeptical about the neighborhood. I have an infant son and my wife is a stay at home mom. Is it safe? The address is 4222 2nd Ave. It appears there are some sex offenders in the Avondale area (4 total I believe).
I think you want to go no further north than Sixth Avenue, South. Neighborhoods change quickly.

Either that or try Crestwood.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 14,543 times
Thanks for the info. I am going to bring the wife and my brother (who is a resident at UAB and will likely be living with us) to go check it out. I met the owners and they were super nice. There is a young family across the street (2 children under 5), next door neighbor owns Bottle Tree and the other is an older lady. It has off-street parking and the house is totally fenced in so my wife would not need to park on the street and walk in. Church down the street. Couple of business near by. The only thing is their is a registered felon a quarter mile down the road.

I am still very skeptical, we will have to see how everything looks. Getting a police report today.

Any other opinions or thoughts on the area? Is 2nd Avenue technically North Avondale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area