Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 11:14 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
We have several new retail and restaurant options around town, but I have to wonder if we aren't big enough for everything, are the franchisees no longer interested in the area, etc. I was over in Palisades today, and notices that CiCi's Pizza is no longer there. That's when I realized that a lot of restaurants have come and gone. I understand that it happens with local/independent places, but not chains. Some of the restaurants that are gone include TGI Fridays, Ted's Montana Grill, Fuddruckers, Baskin Robbins, Copelands, Tin Drum, The Grape, etc. Some of these are staples for most metro areas, so that is why I am confused.
Btw; there was an article not too long ago that Copeland's planned a comeback. I am not sure if that is still the case. At any rate I can't tell you why but their leaving had nothing to do with the city, nor did the Grape.

The Lime Grill is still up by Saks Fifth Ave, but they have closed them all in Atlanta. I personally don't expect it to go past the first of the year. It is a horrible place, IMO. (how could people from Miami not know how to do a little fast Latin food?)

raj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 08:30 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
Anyone else hear about Steak and Shake opening locations in Hoover and Gardendale?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Anyone else hear about Steak and Shake opening locations in Hoover and Gardendale?
The Riverchase location is about half finished. They are starting one at Inverness Plaza at the end of the year.

I have not heard Gardendale but anything that can be done in Alabaster can be done in Gardendale.

I do know their original announcement said about a half dozen would be built.

I can't imagine Trussville without one.

It seems like there is another hoover location coming, and I think they would be crazy not to put one somewhere between Parkside and the MedDistrict.

What do you think?

raj

Old 11-04-2013, 08:57 PM

522 posts, read 846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
The Riverchase location is about half finished. They are starting one at Inverness Plaza at the end of the year.

I have not heard Gardendale but anything that can be done in Alabaster can be done in Gardendale.

I do know their original announcement said about a half dozen would be built.

I can't imagine Trussville without one.

It seems like there is another hoover location coming, and I think they would be crazy not to put one somewhere between Parkside and the MedDistrict.

What do you think?

raj
I am not sure about the central city area with a Steak and Shake, but who knows . Trussville and Leeds/Moody has to be on their radar. I agree that if something can work in Alabaster, it can work in Gardendale...even with it's smaller, yet underserved area.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
Quote:
I am not sure about the central city area with a Steak and Shake, but who knows . Trussville and Leeds/Moody has to be on their radar. I agree that if something can work in Alabaster, it can work in Gardendale...even with it's smaller, yet underserved area.
Somewhere either in 5 pts South, around the UAB area or even Lakeview would do well IMO.

Trussville is a likely location

Speaking of underserved what about the communities of Hueytown, Pleasant Grove, or McCalla? I would kinda expected to at least see a Five Guys in McCalla. Hueytown/Pleasant Grove havent seen new retail or anything else since Walmart in 2007-08?

Old 11-05-2013, 08:02 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
I would think they would show up as outparcels at fultondale and mcalla promenades and perhaps leeds grand river.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I would think they would show up as outparcels at fultondale and mcalla promenades and perhaps leeds grand river.
They should call you. Great idea. I did not even think of Grand River or Moody.

raj

Old 11-05-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Somewhere either in 5 pts South, around the UAB area or even Lakeview would do well IMO.

Trussville is a likely location

Speaking of underserved what about the communities of Hueytown, Pleasant Grove, or McCalla? I would kinda expected to at least see a Five Guys in McCalla. Hueytown/Pleasant Grove havent seen new retail or anything else since Walmart in 2007-08?
The problem with the western suburbs is that they have no frontage on 59/20, and that they are not a crossroads. Also, their population is not great enough collectively to support most of those kinds of businesses without the crossroads traffic.

McCalla and Academy Drive have nailed down the commercial on the southwestern end of the county.

If everyone were like me they would have plenty of business. I use to go to Hueytown regularly for a great Greek place. And I currently go to Sumiton / Dora twice a month for a great Mexican restaurant. (grateful for 22)

raj

Old 11-05-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
There is so much business for food in the MedDistrict and I am sure the infill between there and Parkside could use some for the park and the people living near by or visiting either the med or park.

I would hope if they did anything in the area with fast food types that they would be built in a more urban compatible way, at least along the lines of CF at Five Points South.

raj

Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Thanks.

Theres also the Crossplex. They are still working on a plan to bring more business to Five Points West so the visiting teams dont have to take their money to Hoover and homewood once they want to eat or sleep.
getting Five Points West back to prominence should be high priority now that theyve put the crossplex there.

as an aside: I know everyone knows 5 points south and west but did you know there is a Five Points East? I know it has no significance but it does appear on the map. Id just never heard anyone talk about in past or present form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area