Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 06:15 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,776 times

Advertisements

I'm a native of Birmingham but live in Greenville, SC now. I regularly travel to the B'ham. The metro population of both areas is about 1.2 million. Interestingly, retail/restaurant offerings in B'ham have been a step above Greenville (until recently). While in Birmingham, I've enjoyed: Cheesecake Factory, McCormick and Schmick's (great seafood), and Village Tavern (wonderful). Also, Birmingham has some great, local restaurants. There's a Louis Vuitton in Birmingham.

Here in Greenville we have: Mimi's Cafe, Bruegger's (love this place), Total Wine (incredible wine store), Imax theaters (at Great Escape in Simpsonville, soon to be 2 at Regal 20), Dillards, and (just opened) a Trader Joe's. We have Perkins, ATL Bread Company, Kate Spade, Guess, and will be getting a Cheddars in '11.

Since we have a TJ's, Greenville has taken a small step ahead of Birmingham. However, we have nothing that rivals the overall shopping atmosphere of the Summit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 07:48 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,776 times
I want to add that a Total Wine would do phenomenal in Birmingham (of course, in the right location). There are 3 Total Wine locations in Atlanta and an expansion westward should not be a problem.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Trader Joe's in Birmingham in the next couple of years - Atlanta has 6 stores (and Athens has one). To the North, Nashville has one store. I've been told, here in Greenville, we utilize TJ's warehouse in the Atlanta area. Again, an expansion westward should be fairly easy.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:27 AM

76 posts, read 408,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I want to add that a Total Wine would do phenomenal in Birmingham (of course, in the right location). There are 3 Total Wine locations in Atlanta and an expansion westward should not be a problem.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Trader Joe's in Birmingham in the next couple of years - Atlanta has 6 stores (and Athens has one). To the North, Nashville has one store. I've been told, here in Greenville, we utilize TJ's warehouse in the Atlanta area. Again, an expansion westward should be fairly easy.
And, isn't Bessemer getting an Aldi's? They are owned by the same company.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:13 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,895 times
What? Aldi and Trader Joe's is the same company? Total Wine and Trader Joe's? Aldi and Bessemer? Aldi is a German company, Trader Joe's in from California. Did one of them get bought out by a parent company?

Old 11-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
What? Aldi and Trader Joe's is the same company? Total Wine and Trader Joe's? Aldi and Bessemer? Aldi is a German company, Trader Joe's in from California. Did one of them get bought out by a parent company?
The German Aldi's founder bought TJs many, many years ago and apparently has had the same people in charge of both, although TJs was buried in a trust so nobody knew the real owner. After he died, it all came out . Google it and you can see the history -- pretty amazing and honestly, made me feel much better about buying Aldi products .

Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,895 times
Huh. How random.

Why did it make you feel better about buying Aldi?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
Not pointing the finger at anyone here, but I think some people believe a brand can somehow be cheapened (or made more upscale) by its owners, even if the two business' are separate and run on different principles - or heck, even if they are not.

It doesn't matter to me, but I know and have seen people become totally turned off by a product if they learn it is owned by or made in the same factory as or has similarities to something else they think is inferior.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:47 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,445 times
Aldi exists in Bessemer and Birmingham............Trussville too I believe..

Old 11-09-2010, 04:08 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
Well I visited the Grand River Mall this weekend and my family and I had a great time. The place has a very nice design and the outlet set up of it make it a unique shopping experience from the other centers in Birmingham giving it an "out of town" feel.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Huh. How random.

Why did it make you feel better about buying Aldi?

Completely ridiculous, I KNOW! But, Aldi always seems dirty to me, so I feel like the generics come from dirty factories, etc. BUT, the same factories produce TJ products, too -- so in my odd head I can rationalize that the products are the same, LOL. I know they probably aren't -- but it makes me feel better about my food .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area