Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 12:51 PM

522 posts, read 846,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yes, Wildwood is a surprising disappointment. Lakeshore/Oxford is only getting bigger and better with more workers and apartment dwellers it is crazy that the center has shrunk the way it has. How can a theatre not work there, how can roughly a fifth of it have been torn down. It makes no sense.
With what is going on, on the other end of Lakeshore (Brookwood and Samford), I am sure that it is a matter of time for this portion of Lakeshore. I believe to have read an article discussing a possible reinvention of the interchange at I-65. This could be a what is holding Wildwood from reaching it's full potential. I would love to see some midrises, mixed with retail to kinda create a little district of its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 01:08 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
With what is going on, on the other end of Lakeshore (Brookwood and Samford), I am sure that it is a matter of time for this portion of Lakeshore. I believe to have read an article discussing a possible reinvention of the interchange at I-65. This could be a what is holding Wildwood from reaching it's full potential. I would love to see some midrises, mixed with retail to kinda create a little district of its own.
Yeah, there are a lot of operating centers there with the banks and State Farm, and there is a lot of nice landscaping and lots of stubs in the road for plenty more. There should easily be more demand for places to eat for all the office workers who don't want to go too far. It may never be a shopper's paradise again, but it seems they can find their niche between what Brookwood has to offer since they have a growing number of residents and Samford as a captive audience. The Scary Wal-Mart can't be taking all the business. The Sears appliance Outlet and whatever it was that is going in place of the Baby's R Us are the last "big" announcements they've had.

And yes, the interchange needs to be redone. Its so overloaded and so awkward.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:35 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,979 times
Yeah... I just don't even know what to think about that end of Lakeshore Drive. So many high-end apartments have been built over there but the retail, restaurants, and overall appearance of that stretch is ... ummm.... not high end. That stretch of road is just confusing to me. Parts of it look like Centerpoint and other parts of it look like Inverness. Somebody needs to come in over there and reimagine Wildwood and the surrounding areas.

I like the idea of some mid-rise buildings with retail but I think something like that will be happening closer to Brookwood first, if it happens.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:18 PM

284 posts, read 611,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Yeah... I just don't even know what to think about that end of Lakeshore Drive. So many high-end apartments have been built over there but the retail, restaurants, and overall appearance of that stretch is ... ummm.... not high end. That stretch of road is just confusing to me. Parts of it look like Centerpoint and other parts of it look like Inverness. Somebody needs to come in over there and reimagine Wildwood and the surrounding areas.

I like the idea of some mid-rise buildings with retail but I think something like that will be happening closer to Brookwood first, if it happens.

Why did people stop going there? Safety concerns or what? I gotta tell ya, I just don't feel as safe as I once did even at the Galleria. Large groups of young people just standing around and driving around the parking lot. I still go occasionally but not near as much as I did at one time. Maybe I'm just getting old. LOL

Old 11-20-2014, 03:23 PM

I don't think people stopped going there, it is just that Lakeshore and by extension the Palisades tend to have more latino shoppers then other areas, and that is a turn off to the types that might support some of the mid range restaurants and shops and the two movie theaters that used to be there.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:19 PM

15 posts, read 16,178 times
Aldi and Aldi!!!!

Old 11-20-2014, 05:28 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Retail wish list

Crate & Barrel
H & M
Dave & Buster's
Ben & Jerry's
IKEA
Neiman Marcus
Nordstrom

Take the largest abandoned buildings around downtown and open these stores up in them and with any room available, fill in the top floors with apartments/condos! Would be cool if someone with a couple hundred million dollars to invest in Birmingham did it, but alas, it won't happen.
This is happening in Chattanooga's downtown. They have attracted a few major retailers and grocery stores such as Publix and Whole Foods. It has really changed the area for the better. I see this happening in Birmingham's future, too. Most of the department stores you've mentioned won't consider metros under 2 million, even if there are very high incomes. Saks seems to be doing well considering it has major operations there. How is Von Maur doing over at Riverchase?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:44 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetdawg View Post
My wish is Krogers I really wish we had 1 in our area, but my understanding we probably will never get them here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Distribution costs for mainline grocery stores is pretty high once you get outside of 200 miles. And if you put a grocery store like a Kroger into a market, you have to enter the market in a big way with several stores at once. That was the problem that Bruno's faced entering markets like Atlanta. They would trickle 3-4 stores into the market, never considering the disproportionate marketing costs per store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Also the fact that the grocery scene has suddenly become saturated and heavily contested here. I do not think there is room for another chain. We will just have to make do with: Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Winn Dixie, Food Giant, Food Land, Mi Pueblo, Aldi, Earth Fare, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Sprout's, Trader Joe's, Wal-Mart, Save-a-lot, Target, V.Richards, Western....and, have I missed anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
I don't think you missed anyone but maybe. The Wal-Mart neighborhood markets seem to be taking over. It's unbelievable that they can have their Super Wal-Marts already saturating the market and then build a neighborhood market and still be profitable. Aaaah.... Wal Mart!

I've been really excited about the Mi Pueblo expansion. It really says a lot, to me, about the culture that hispanic community brings to Birmingham. Our Dia De Los Muertos and Fiesta Birmingham festivals are very successful. Mi Pueblo is another extension of that. Their new supermarkets are really fun to walk through every few weeks to pick up some items we aren't used to getting in most Birmingham markets.
Kroger may wind up having a stake in the Birmingham (Central Alabama) market in the long run. According to the supermarket trades, Southeastern Grocers, LLC (formerly BI-LO Holdings, LLC) the parent (holding) company of Winn-Dixie, has been looked at by Kroger a couple of times in recent years because of its position in markets in Florida and other portions of the South like Birmingham where Kroger has no stores under any of its banners. Word is Lone Star Funds wants to sell off all the brands and their distribution centers to buyer(s) willing to pony up the hard cash. Ironically, the Kroger Company has been in the buying mood with its recent (yet quiet) acquisition of the Harris Teeter chain just last year.

If Kroger acquires the Winn-Dixie chain, then they will automatically get their existing distribution centers, agreements, and network, and they will be back in Birmingham. All they would have to do is decide which stores they want to keep open, remodel/rebuild, or open more locations in which areas. Kroger is not a company to sleep on because all we have do is ask our neighbors in NC (Charlotte & Piedmont Triad) when they quietly got Harris Teeter. Kroger wanted the market share in those 2 markets and did it by getting an established brand.

Last edited by jero23; 11-20-2014 at 07:52 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 09:29 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,045 times
However, Kroger getting a handful of Winn Dixie/BI-LO stores is in no way comparable to the Harris Teeter sale. And the people in the Carolina's are certainly not happy about this. So. Carolina is not so happy that BI-LO bought Winn Dixie and then moved its headquarters to Jacksonville Fla., Winn Dixie's base.

Frankly, I could care less if Kroger came back to Birmingham. I know it has changed drastically from what it once was, but the array of choices we have now, and additionally soon, should certainly be enough to take care of the market. I see this as a 'grass is greener' situation as I wrote of earlier. We are not in need, and I personally believe that speaks really well of how Publix handles their markets. They really show care for the customer and their employees. So where is the need?

I might add that the grocery business is evolving at light speed. Kroger or Publix could be dinosaurs in ten years.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:06 AM

I emailed Mr. Davis about the last story in his wish list series because I knew that other Ampersand is a big deal to some. Seems this is as close to a yes as we'll ever get...

Birmingham's five most-wanted retailers: H&M expanding in Alabama, but where? - Birmingham Business Journal

Quote:
"While we can't comment on specific locations, H&M will be expanding in Alabama to meet the needs of its customers there," said Patrick Shaner, a spokesperson for H&M in a statement to the BBJ this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area