Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 11:23 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Another note, I'm still curious about the future of Southeastern Grocers LLC, formerly Bi-Lo Holdings. It's basically ran by Lone Star Funds, whom ran Bruno's into the ground and why it's no more. I contemplate since the formerly known as Bi-Lo Holdings resisted the Kroger Company's offer last year that Kroger is just awaiting for the company to falter and claim its locations with prime real estate. Winn-Dixie has continued to shutter locations in Birmingham and other areas of the region.

I still hear from a reliable official with the Kroger Co. whom confirmed the chain is still looking at coming back to Central Alabama region (Birmingham area, Tuscaloosa, Anniston, Gadsden, and Montgomery --> Auburn/Opelika by extension). Their continued presence in the easternmost portion of the Central Alabama market via Auburn/Opelika (Lanett) signals the chain would reenter the entire region. The logistics of which distribution center they would use because they recently use opened a huge new Atlanta distribution center in Forest Park (GA) or eventually open a new in Birmingham to service the market and the existing stores in Mississippi.
FWIW, Kroger is making a huge push in the HSV area right now. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 12:28 PM

270 posts, read 531,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Birmingham definitely punches above its weight in media market size / DMA, ranking ahead of pro sports cities such as Memphis, New Orleans, Oklahoma City and Buffalo (and only slightly behind Las Vegas).

But yes, technically Memphis is a bigger city and metro area.

I've long held that Memphis and Birmingham are two of the most similar cities in the South in many ways.
In what regard? You just listed cities that all have professional sports teams. Birmingham is one of the largest metros in the USA without minor league hockey. One of the largest without a top 2 tier soccer team.

Birmingham is the 2nd largest city behind New Orleans without a daily paper. Actually I believe they now have a daily paper, it just isn't the Times-Picayune. Birmingham is going to be one of the largest metros without Google Fiber.

In what ways does Birmingham surpass any of those places, except Buffalo in some categories. Birmingham is behind those in GDP, jobs, Fortune 1000 companies, sports teams, college students.

Other than dining, and perhaps outdoor activities, Birmingham lives smaller than it is.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:49 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshawk View Post
In what regard? You just listed cities that all have professional sports teams. Birmingham is one of the largest metros in the USA without minor league hockey. One of the largest without a top 2 tier soccer team.

Birmingham is the 2nd largest city behind New Orleans without a daily paper. Actually I believe they now have a daily paper, it just isn't the Times-Picayune. Birmingham is going to be one of the largest metros without Google Fiber.

In what ways does Birmingham surpass any of those places, except Buffalo in some categories. Birmingham is behind those in GDP, jobs, Fortune 1000 companies, sports teams, college students.

Other than dining, and perhaps outdoor activities, Birmingham lives smaller than it is.
Agree with this.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:04 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:

Not having a daily paper is lame, I admit...but hockey and soccer? Come on. We have to have a demand for certain things for it to grow, it just isn't going to happen just because. I imagine the Hammers will continue to improve and gain a following.

I am at a loss on what list you are looking at that has Birmingham as the largest or even one of the largest without Google Fiber. Looking at their coverage map a lot of big cities are left open even when you include their upcoming and potential places. There's far more places without them than with at this time including the foreseeable future. There are efforts underway to bring fiber to Birmingham by other entities.

On the GDP and jobs front, Birmingham is at least on the upswing again with some good announcements already this year and at least one major one looming. I think healthcare and automotive will be at the forefront for adding to the metro's portfolio in the near future.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:22 PM

154 posts, read 158,549 times
Quote:

I agree with this also.

On the Google Fiber front, I thought Birmingham's size alone would have given it the edge over all other Alabama Cities. I still can't believe Google selected Huntsville. Only thing I can figure is they are going to "Tech" cities first.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:54 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
On the GDP and jobs front, Birmingham is at least on the upswing again with some good announcements already this year and at least one major one looming. I think healthcare and automotive will be at the forefront for adding to the metro's portfolio in the near future.
I am pretty sure jobs growth and GDP growth for the Birmingham area lags behind the national average.

And yes, you tell us every time a company moves 50 jobs downtown but you seem to always forget to mention when we lose jobs by the hundreds or even thousands as has been the case in steel and coal.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:21 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:

I wouldn't put too much stock into those other cities, they have the same issues as Phoenix, punching well below their weight. Memphis, Charlotte, Orlando and Jacksonville really lives smaller than an outsider's perception. Google Fiber is still fairly new, there's still MANY major metros without the product. Large transitions are becoming more and more noticeable, in an era where CD's are turning into Streaming, Tidal being at war with Apple; developing a daily paper in the midst of this would be pretty much pointless.

As far as sports go, it'll be a while before we see a minor league hockey team in Birmingham, and a few years before a top 2 tier soccer team. Even still, Football, or as how Americans say "Soccer," still isn't relevant in most of these places outside of Orlando, and that's due to Orlando's large Hispanic presence. I also would love to see the Copa America, or Euro 16 viewership in most of these cities as well. Cause let's be honest, albeit the Soccer popularity rising in the South, it's still a brand new sport to the region. Picture yourself in Memphis trying to strike up a conversation on how England lost to Iceland, or how much Joe Hart is hated is right now lol.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I am pretty sure jobs growth and GDP growth for the Birmingham area lags behind the national average.

And yes, you tell us every time a company moves 50 jobs downtown but you seem to always forget to mention when we lose jobs by the hundreds or even thousands as has been the case in steel and coal.
We leave all the negative stuff to you Steve, like believing even a small number of jobs moving downtown as opposed to out in the suburbs is not a victory. IF you are so disillusioned by my posts, there's ways to keep them from bringing you down. "Seem to always forget" is one of those weak qualifiers that don't apply to me, but is just projections from you.

I'll counter hockey and soccer with Barber's and Talladega. How many of those cities host Indy races? How many host major motorcycle races? How many of those cities host NASCAR races? Golf is big here as well. The Regions Tradition is a great event.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Ellington View Post
I still can't believe Google selected Huntsville. Only thing I can figure is they are going to "Tech" cities first.
Ha ha, follow the money, dick. Huntsville is obligating the taxpayers to pay for it. Any city could pay to get "selected."

Old 06-28-2016, 01:19 PM

154 posts, read 158,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Ha ha, follow the money, dick. Huntsville is obligating the taxpayers to pay for it. Any city could pay to get "selected."
LOL. I have not heard of a tax increase in Huntsville to pay for Google fiber. I know Huntsville Utilities is increasing rates to drop millions into more fiber installation. Do you have a link about the tax increase?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area