Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 04:36 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,777,695 times

Advertisements

WHAT IF BIRMINGHAM ... had gone more the path of Atlanta? Or Charlotte? Or Nashville? I'm not asking what if B'ham WERE those cities, but rather what if it had turned out more LIKE those cities -- if history had been kinder?
-- If the Civil Rights struggle had been less painful and more peaceful?
-- if the steel industry hadn't collapsed?
-- if a SE airport hub were established in B'ham rather than Atlanta?
-- if state and local leadership had been more visionary in the '50s, '60s and '70s?
-- if white flight had not taken such a toll?

WHAT MIGHT THE CITY BE LIKE TODAY?
-- Would it have been a peer to Nashville and Charlotte with major league sports, etc? Or might it have even rivaled Atlanta?
-- What might the suburbs look like? Where would all the people be if B'ham had a metro of 3-4 million? Which areas that are now "way out" might be bustling suburbs? Would the suburbs of today be more urban? Less desirable?
-- What might the downtown skyline look like? What would folks gaze down upon from Vulcan Park?
-- What kind of freeway system would there be? Would there be a full loop around the city? Or other expressways? And where?
-- Could there be a rapid transit or light rail system shuttling commuters up and down the hills?
-- Could the airport have stayed where it is and handle the kind of traffic of Hartsfield in Atlanta? Or is there a better location?
-- What other kinds of amenities -- civic buildings, arts and entertainment venues, shopping options -- might there be throughout the region? And where? Would B'ham have true edge cities?
Could 5 Points South and Hoover be like ATL's Midtown and Buckhead districts?

If Birmingham had turned out more like Atlanta, would it now be facing the same kinds of challenges -- choking traffic, water shortages, endless sprawl, smog -- or might it have done better?

What might have been gained -- OR LOST?

IMAGINE: It is the year 2010 and Birmingham, Ala. ranks among the fastest growing -- and largest -- metro areas in the nation.

WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-09-2010 at 05:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 02:29 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,330,955 times
I think it's a waste of time and energy to speculate about what might have been.
It is what it is.
Now let's go forward.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:36 PM

4,984 posts, read 9,048,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I think it's a waste of time and energy to speculate about what might have been.
It is what it is.
Now let's go forward.

Agreed !! B-ham forward !!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2010, 10:55 PM

36 posts, read 80,426 times
Then it wouldn't suck LOL.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:37 PM

Well I didn't mean to offend. Was just wondering about the possibilities. I live in Savannah, which some say is stuck in the past and where change comes slowly. That can be good or bad, depending. This city missed some opportunitiees in the '50s and '60s and is still playing catchup -- notably, it said "no thanks" when some big corporations and Spoleto wanted to come here, and they went to Jacksonville and Charleston instead. I agree, it is what it is -- in Savannah's case, it's still a beautiful, historic city that draws millions of tourists. But it doesn't hurt to dream a little ....

Old 10-10-2010, 03:49 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,939,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well I didn't mean to offend. Was just wondering about the possibilities. I live in Savannah, which some say is stuck in the past and where change comes slowly. That can be good or bad, depending. This city missed some opportunitiees in the '50s and '60s and is still playing catchup -- notably, it said "no thanks" when some big corporations and Spoleto wanted to come here, and they went to Jacksonville and Charleston instead. I agree, it is what it is -- in Savannah's case, it's still a beautiful, historic city that draws millions of tourists. But it doesn't hurt to dream a little ....
To be honest with you, I think a lot of amazing things are about to happen in the 'Ham. Shall we review?

-- I-22 and the Rail Transfer facility. These two events are huge, turning Birmingham into a huge distribution center. As somebody who has spent a good deal of time dealing with economic and real estate matters, I can tell you that the region's profile has shot up a great deal because of these two events.

-- Manufacturing. Birmingham and the rest of Alabama continues to do very well recruiting in automotive, and the steel industry remains strong.

-- Employment. Before the Great Recession, B'ham had the country's second-lowest unemployment rate, second only to Orlando's. This represents quite a departure from the early 80s when Birmingham was neck-and-neck with Flint, Michigan, for the nation's highest unemployment rate. Just this week, in fact, Birmingham's resurgence in employment was the country's highest. If that's not economic progress, kindly tell me what is.

That being said, your thesis that the steel industry in Birmingham collapsed is pretty much erroneous, given how much steel manufacturing still goes on in the city. Instead, the USS plant closing (And subsequent reopening) actually was a great opportunity for the city to get away from a one-industry model. Today, the city has a much more diverse economic base than before.

Further, when you realize that the Birmingham metro region has enjoyed the greatest percentage rise in per capita income of any major American metro over the past thirty years, it's pretty hard to make the case that the city's best economic times are past. To be sure, the financial sector took a hit from the wave on consolidations and buyouts, but it's interesting to note how many mid-sized banks are now popping up on the local scene.

-- A growing downtown. In case you haven't noticed, office occupancy rates downtown remain north of the 90% rate, and the midtown area (From UAB to 459) is closer to 95%. Further, there has been a surge of interest in the downtown area from new developments to the continued loft developments to a more grass-roots effort.

-- More coordinated economic development efforts. We are beginning to see a lot more partnerships spring up in the previously disjointed efforts.

In short, one would have to be willfully blind to not see progress being made on all fronts in a town that, in 1979, was practically dead.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:48 PM

^^^ That's what I was talking about. Didn't realize there was any steel industry left in B'ham, I guess because the oldest messy furnaces are gone? Anyway, you have to walk before you run. Looks like B'ham is ready for the race.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:08 PM

138 posts, read 252,982 times
Quote:
I-22 and the Rail Transfer facility. These two events are huge, turning Birmingham into a huge distribution center. As somebody who has spent a good deal of time dealing with economic and real estate matters, I can tell you that the region's profile has shot up a great deal because of these two events.
cpg, you wouldn't happen to know when the rail transfer facility is going to be complete, would you?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:21 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,939,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyj42 View Post
cpg, you wouldn't happen to know when the rail transfer facility is going to be complete, would you?
Within the next two years is my understanding. One other thing. There will most likely be a rail link to the Port of Mobile.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:48 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,639,727 times
Considering that the state has attracted so much auto manufacturing business from Mercedes, Honda, Hyundai, and to a lesser extent Toyota who has an engine plant in Huntsville and KIA who has a plant in Georgia, but that's right on the Alabama line - to be a big boost too. These plants attract other companies that are suppliers and therefore need supply lines to feed them. The I-22 corridor is already receiving attention for development because Toyota has resumed construction on its plant in Tupelo. These companies will need good transportation infrastructure to transport goods and a big nice international airport to fly in foreign execs. That places Birmingham at the heart of all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area