Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 02:37 PM

18 posts, read 36,696 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear from anyone that lives in Greystone regarding the quality of the construction of their home. I was just out looking at properties and I noticed in The Havens, none of the roofs have flashing. Other homes I looked at in Greystone also appeared to have roofing issues as well with leaking. One home which was priced at $600K on the golf course, had the worst ceiling wall board taping job I have ever seen. It seems like a very pricey area but I was not impressed with the construction quality. Recognize most of the homes I saw were vacant, so probably not as well maintained. What are your thoughts on the quality of construction in Greystone? Thanks for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 03:05 PM

350 posts, read 1,312,410 times
This is why I always recommend a home inspection, even on NEW construction

And people think I'm nuts when I say this. I can tell you stories!

Old 01-21-2011, 04:38 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
I think this is indicative of the whole housing market bubble and not just particularly Greystone. There were probably a lot of people in the home building business that shouldn't have been in the home building business and unfortunately it takes a big recession to put all of them out of business (and sadly take some good people with them.) Too much hurried construction to cash in on the bubble.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Again View Post
This is why I always recommend a home inspection, even on NEW construction

And people think I'm nuts when I say this. I can tell you stories!
I don't think you're nuts, and I can believe any description you give of what you have seen! There are good builders out there but there have been a lot of not so great ones as well.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:09 AM

350 posts, read 1,312,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
I don't think you're nuts, and I can believe any description you give of what you have seen! There are good builders out there but there have been a lot of not so great ones as well.
There was this one home, built for my Buyer, and I told them to get a home inspection and they looked at me like I was crazy. I still remember there words "Good god, it is a BRAND NEW HOME, we are not going to pay good money for a home inspection" The second night, the young daughter desided to take a bath in the second floor bathroom. Upon draining the tube, they QUICKLY found out it was never hooked to a drain pipe!

Now the builder did take care of it and re-sheet rocked the entire kitchen, but in the meantime, the kitchen and up stairs bathroom were out of commission for a while, I can not remember how long, plus the inconvenience of it all. Ill almost bet they spent as much to eat out during that timeframe as a home inspection would have cost!

Every once in a while, we Realtors know what we are talking about

Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
And one of the main builders in Greystone is still familiarizing his crews with level and meassuring tape. Yes, some of the houses are in pretty rough shape:>( I can tell you some horror stories about wiring issues, foundation problems and to top it off HOAs changing original requirements.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:26 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
Yeah, the HOA there is rather annoying. Thankfully our house can't be seen from the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area