Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 11,914 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone , so glad i found this forum i need lots of help..lol. My family and i will be relocating to Alabama this summer because of my husbands job. I am a stay at home mom of 3 boys. Elementary schools and middle are very imporatant to us. We have been doing alot of research online to find a nice house in either one of these areas . Hoover seems to have good schools with great shopping which i love but helena seems to give you more house for your money and also i believe has good schools. I would love any advice you can give on these two areas as i think we have narrowed it down. Oh by the way we live in Pennsylvania right now and look forward to the warmer weather of the south. This will be a big change for us. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 04:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Hi, there.

I would offer Hoover is the better solution because of quality schools. Helena isn't bad, but Hoover is a few notches above Helena, IMHO. Yet Hoover sprawls all over the place, so your lifestyle will depend on the neighborhood, price of house you can afford, etc. etc. The other factor to consider is what you enjoy doing in terms of hobbies and recreation. For example, Birmingham has a pretty active arts/entertainment/dining scene, but it's concentrated in the downtown area. If that's your passion, Helena is a good deal further out.

My suggestion is to fly down sans kids and get a realtor to drive you around. That way you can get a feel for the area that feels right to you.

But good luck. You're right. This is a great forum. We really try to do our best to help people. And, if this helps out any, it was 75 degrees today. I wore flip flops.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:15 PM

thank you cpg35223. my husband and i are driving down next weekend to check out all sorts of things. Being close to good shopping is what i want. Us as a family like movies, museums, outdoor walks and parks , plus we love to dine out. I really look forward to visiting Alabama next week. Oh you made me jealous that you were flip flops today i will definetly pack mine for next week ..lol

Old 02-19-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsaj View Post
thank you cpg35223. my husband and i are driving down next weekend to check out all sorts of things. Being close to good shopping is what i want. Us as a family like movies, museums, outdoor walks and parks , plus we love to dine out. I really look forward to visiting Alabama next week. Oh you made me jealous that you were flip flops today i will definetly pack mine for next week ..lol
Well, no guarantees this time of year. I'd check out Accuweather ahead of time.

If you love to dine out, then I'd definitely say Hoover. Birmingham has lots of great restaurants. While Hoover is still mostly chain restaurants, at least it's a good deal closer to the main restaurant areas of town. In fact, this forum just had a very good Where To Eat thread with great suggestions. I'd check it out and try some of the local haunts.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:13 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,680 times
As mentioned, Hoover is very sprawl-y. You could divide it sort of into eastern (280 area, to include Greystone and those areas along Valleydale or 119 or Caldwell Mill that fall in Hoover -- those areas mainly feed Spain Park High School); central (this is the older parts of Hoover - Green Valley, Monte D'oro, etc. Ca. 1950-1970 construction -- most of the apartments in Hoover also fall in this area, so you get those kids in the elem. and MS schools that serve that area); southern (this is Riverchase and those areas south of Lorna Road before you hit Pelham city limits. There are actually some great deals in Riverchase - ca 1975-1995 houses with actual treed lots); western (this is off 150 west of 459 - this gets into Lake Cyrus, Ross Bridge, Russett Woods - newer master-planned neighborhoods, but can be a bit more remote) and Bluff Park (an older part of town, 1920s - 1960s - least expensive area, but also the least desireable resale-wise. Although there are view properties here, and a nice little historic patch, most are older post-war cottages or 50s ranchers in differing states of repair).

Old 02-23-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
As mentioned, Hoover is very sprawl-y. You could divide it sort of into eastern (280 area, to include Greystone and those areas along Valleydale or 119 or Caldwell Mill that fall in Hoover -- those areas mainly feed Spain Park High School); central (this is the older parts of Hoover - Green Valley, Monte D'oro, etc. Ca. 1950-1970 construction -- most of the apartments in Hoover also fall in this area, so you get those kids in the elem. and MS schools that serve that area); southern (this is Riverchase and those areas south of Lorna Road before you hit Pelham city limits. There are actually some great deals in Riverchase - ca 1975-1995 houses with actual treed lots); western (this is off 150 west of 459 - this gets into Lake Cyrus, Ross Bridge, Russett Woods - newer master-planned neighborhoods, but can be a bit more remote) and Bluff Park (an older part of town, 1920s - 1960s - least expensive area, but also the least desireable resale-wise. Although there are view properties here, and a nice little historic patch, most are older post-war cottages or 50s ranchers in differing states of repair).
Thank you! we r heading down to AL this weekend. I am looking forward to this trip. This forum is a really big help.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsaj View Post
Thank you! we r heading down to AL this weekend. I am looking forward to this trip. This forum is a really big help.
Glad to help. My last bit of advice?

1) Start at your husband's place of work and look within a three-mile radius.

2) Check out the Restaurant thread in this forum. Lots of great suggestions on places to eat outside the predictable chain restaurants. Birmingham isn't a major foodie destination, but it more than holds its own in terms of retaurants. //www.city-data.com/forum/birmi...staurants.html

3) Like most cities, Birmingham is really a city of neighborhoods. I would find an area that just feels like you.

4) Saturday's forecast? Sunny, high of 69. Sunday's forecast? 30% chance of rain, high of 75. Enjoy.

Let us know how you enjoyed your trip!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Glad to help. My last bit of advice?

1) Start at your husband's place of work and look within a three-mile radius.

2) Check out the Restaurant thread in this forum. Lots of great suggestions on places to eat outside the predictable chain restaurants. Birmingham isn't a major foodie destination, but it more than holds its own in terms of retaurants. //www.city-data.com/forum/birmi...staurants.html

3) Like most cities, Birmingham is really a city of neighborhoods. I would find an area that just feels like you.

4) Saturday's forecast? Sunny, high of 69. Sunday's forecast? 30% chance of rain, high of 75. Enjoy.

Let us know how you enjoyed your trip!
Thanks!! I can not wait to try some flavors of AL. Although i did see one chain that i must try its called sweet bones Alabama. Looks really good. LOl.. I am packing my sandals. Have to dig them out of the closet...lol I am sure we will enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area