Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:17 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,154,555 times

Advertisements

Well opinions are never valid .B-ham is in the 1.2 million group.So if you compare it to cities such as Memphis,Jacksonville,Oklahoma,Richmond,Loiusville, and Nashville it is in the same category to me but that is just an opinion.

BIRMINGHAM

Jacksonville

http://www.hotels-jacksonville.com/images/trl_usa_jacksonville_01.jpg (broken link)

Memphis

http://www.vaustralia.com.au/cms/groups/e-commerce/documents/internetcontent/p_010321.jpg (broken link)

Louisville

Nashville

Oklahoma

Quote:
Dude come !! The pictures don`t lie are you serious ! I`ll take B-ham`s skyline over any of the others that are posted above.

Last edited by PortCity; 03-16-2011 at 03:40 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 03:22 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Probably because residents who were just outside the city didn't see the city as corrupt, wasteful, ineffective, etc. and so didn't really have reasons to put up a fuss.
You must of never been to Montgomery.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
There are four. And those buildings are height restricted because of the airport. But please, don't let facts get in the way of any of your posts.

I'm not sure where I stand on the idea of free wi-fi in the projects, but I don't see how throwing something like a $25 per month DSL connection and a $100 wi-fi router from Best Buy is going to put a crimp on building a solution to 280s issues. They have free Wi-Fi at Starbucks, Krystal's, etc- having it where the kids that live in the projects might be able to use it to help with their studies isn't going to break the budget. Now, do we hand out free laptops/desktops too? Where does it end, I don't know - but this is not a cause and effect for their not being better mass transit in the city.
I just believe there are bigger issues to tackle, and would do more good for people in the housing projects, and elsewhere in the city. At least improving the bus system for example would give people without transportation access to jobs and services they may not have in their immediate area. Of course wi-fi helps the kids with their education, but what about the unemployed and under-employed adults in these same areas?.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Are you kidding, and I had to figure out what you said? I know about the height restriction, but the skyline of B is pitiful and depressing.
So you have any ideas on what can be done to improve the skyline and bring life to downtown???. If your gonna be critical, have some ideas for improvement.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:37 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
If you compare B-ham`s skyline to metros that are similar in size there isn`t really no lack of to me.
Totally agree!!

Old 03-17-2011, 04:57 AM

265 posts, read 330,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
You must of never been to Montgomery.
Hey, it's all about perception. Certainly Montgomery's image can't be worse than Birmingham's in this regard.

On the subject of skylines, I think I do remember reading somewhat that Birmingham does indeed have height restrictions but I don't think it's because of proximity to the airport or anything (and to add to the list of cities that do have height restrictions for this reason, throw in Phoenix, San Jose, and Orlando). The skyline doesn't have a lot of height, but it does have great density which counts for a lot as well. Here's a better skyline shot.

I think Birmingham's skyline is most similar to cities like Richmond, Norfolk, Tulsa, Memphis, etc. Birmingham might not be the most progressive city, but some of you are seriously shortchanging it in this category. Comparing it to Macon is just silly. Macon's tallest is that 15-story Fickling & Co. building which is probably no more than 250 ft tall. Birmingham has nine buildings taller than that. Birmingham's tallest is actually taller than Memphis' tallest building.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,154,555 times
^^^ I agree macon come on !!??if you can`t see that through the pics posted above than you your ingnorance is beyond planet X my friend !

Macon has a slim chance of competing with Huntsville skyline because I think Montgomery has a better skyline than macon.

Stop with the bashing and ignorance people.The thread was about progression not tit for tat.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 AM

Birmingham does have height restrictions placed by the FAA because downtown lies directly in the flight path of planes landing and taking off.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:44 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
Skyscrapers aren't necessary for density an urban environment. Places like LA and Houston may have taller buildings than San Francisco and Boston, but I wouldn't say they are more urban. A residential area that has 3-5 story buildings, such as what they are renovating or building in downtown Bham, has plenty of density. Continuing down that route is great. And if they want to build new office buildings, the height of the current tallest buildings would work just fine. Unless you have penis envy or something.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:01 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
If I were the city I would look to the private sector for some help funding the BJCC expansion and proposed ballpark, through naming rights, etc, etc. If that doesnt work put those two big projects on hold until the money is there. Right now Birmingham city should put all its efforts into lowering taxes and fees for exisiting businesses, and attracting new ones. With an expanded tax base projects like the ballpark can be funded.

I would be for selling Legion Field, and the BJCC to private interest. Neither Birmingham or Jefferson County are financially able to major improvements to either facility at this point.
Well, Jefferson county (if not the city) now has no occupation tax. Lets see how that works out...

But I do agree that the city should worry about keep itself business friendly. Its easy to pick up shop and move elsewhere, even if you want to stay within the metro elsewhere. I'm not sure it should do so at the expense of financing basic services and the widespread needs of the communities, but I can't disagree with you that selling Legion Field and the BJCC might be reasonable.
I think they should also do more to retain exiting businesses, not just lure new ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area