Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:13 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,219,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Charlotte grew 35% last decade, what is so bad about that?.
I don't know why anyone would want a 35% growth rate. The infrastructure cannot keep up, and you end up endless cookie cutter subdivisions that gobble up surrounding communities. If you'll go over to the NC forum you'll notice that many of the natives aren't very happy about all of that explosive growth.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:42 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,637,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Like I said, I am disappointed that Birmingham has not lived up to its full potential. It is in a beautiful area with the hills and such, but just lacks many things to do. I wish it could be more competitive with Atlanta. But Atlanta is just light years away now, at one point on or around 1950 they were very much the same size. My point above in VALID, sorry, and just the fact you mentioned "Jewish" people driving Mercedes and BMWs is a racist remark. Currently Birmingham is in a mess not totally different from a Rustbelt city.
Sorry but I find all your remarks on this subject to just be patronizing and baseless. You decorate all your putdowns of our area with hollow and fake positives to give the impression that "you care." We are not envious of the giant sprawling hot mess that is Atlanta and there are plenty of things our city does right for us to be proud of. There is nothing VALID about anything you have said, it is just an opportunity for you to try to boast about how "great" Atlanta is and I see right through your game. Saying my remark is racist is quite silly. What happened years ago is not what is keeping people from wanting to live within the city limits. It is the level of services they receive for their kids, the ridiculous sewer bills and the high crime areas in the north and west sides. If you had any real interest in this subject you would know that.

Last edited by Tourian; 03-05-2011 at 03:56 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,686,605 times
Tourian, I am not trying to be mean, I am just stating what I see when I go to B. I have a niece who lives in Chelsea and my mother's side was from Cullman, so I have Alabama in me too. All I said was that Birmingham has a terrible past that continues to haunt the city and it will continue to do so until their are some radical changes.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:03 PM

91 posts, read 242,968 times
Quote:
are we willing to fall to the same tier as Jackson, Little Rock, Lexington, Montgomery, Columbus, Augusta.
your already there

Old 03-06-2011, 09:27 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,860,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Stats View Post
your already there
No were not, as bad as things may look right now, Birmingham is not even close to be on par with Jackson, MS, or Montgomery.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:06 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,686,605 times
Quote:
No were not, as bad as things may look right now, Birmingham is not even close to be on par with Jackson, MS, or Montgomery.

I agree with that at least Metro B is in the million club.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM

37 posts, read 105,272 times
I would thank my lucky stars that it is not another Atlanta. Urban sprawl and bumper to bumper rude
people. Oh yes..I left and never intend on going back.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 AM

12,732 posts, read 21,624,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't know why anyone would want a 35% growth rate. The infrastructure cannot keep up, and you end up endless cookie cutter subdivisions that gobble up surrounding communities. If you'll go over to the NC forum you'll notice that many of the natives aren't very happy about all of that explosive growth.
And that's why BHAM will have a 7% growth rate for a long time! The people have to be able to support high growth rate too. Just look at what the residents north of 459 along the 280 corridor did! They fought against the elevated lanes, when they are the ones who have sit for long periods of time in traffic. If I was the developers, I wouldn't care what a few residents say when I have thousands more who can benefit from it. We as Alabamians need to think outside of the box and let our state grow, DANG!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I went over to check out the NC forum, and it seems to me its not a major deal to most. Also, infrastructure can keep pace with growth if its done right to start with. The problem here is that we dont build infrastructure for future needs, we wait for the problem to get out of hand, THEN we want to do something about it. (prime example Hwy 280)

So yes a 35% growth rate within a 10 yr period doesnt automatically equate to endless sprawl.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I know Jewish people who drive Mercedes and BMWs. Your point is invalid. There are real issues that face Birmingham like bad leadership, poor schools and a bankrupt country that have caused people to flee to the burbs. It has nothing to do with Bull, firehoses or dogs.
Pretty much sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area