Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2007, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,280 times

Advertisements

Just had a call interview for a position in the Alabaster area. Wondering about the cost of living, so to establish a salary range. My wife and her family live in Pelham but have guest this week and I will not be able to talk with them until after the weekend. I would appreciate a view on affordable housing, utilities, etc... We will be relocating from Pensacola, Florida and since 2005 the cost of living here has risen three-fold and the wages have remained the same as before the insurance rate hike, gasolene price rise, grocery price going up, etc... Hope to find employment in with better pay but would like to hear from a few people on the cost of living in the Alabaster area. Thanks P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 10:15 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJackson View Post
Just had a call interview for a position in the Alabaster area. Wondering about the cost of living, so to establish a salary range. My wife and her family live in Pelham but have guest this week and I will not be able to talk with them until after the weekend. I would appreciate a view on affordable housing, utilities, etc... We will be relocating from Pensacola, Florida and since 2005 the cost of living here has risen three-fold and the wages have remained the same as before the insurance rate hike, gasolene price rise, grocery price going up, etc... Hope to find employment in with better pay but would like to hear from a few people on the cost of living in the Alabaster area. Thanks P.

what size home are you looking to move into? there is a LOT of new housing going up in alabaster and points nearby. 2 bedroom homes can easily be had in the mid 100s, though 3 bedroom homes are much more common and start in the high 100s and go into maybe the mid 200s. 4 bedrooms start in the mid 200s and go into the 300s, 400s, and beyond.

if you will be working in alabaster and are looking for a commute under 15 minutes, i would limit your housing search to pelham and alabaster (closer to birmingham) and calera/montevallo (southern shelby country, a little furter from birmingham, maybe a bit cheaper).

taxes are not excessively high in any of these communities, though it is one of the fastest if not the fastest growing area in the state. if i were looking to raise a family today, these communities is where i would start my search.

here's some brief information on some new construction neighborhoods in the area

Fieldstone - From the 230s
Riverwoods - Premeier swim club in Helena (near Pelham/Alabaster) - $200s to $700s
Sterling Gate - Alabaster, From the 190s to 220s
Stoney Meadows - Starting in the 140s
Cedar Meadows - Starting in the 170s
Grande View Estates - Private Swim & Tennis Community - Estate homes from 270s, Estate lots from the 40s
Hidden Forest - From the 140s+
Heritage Trace - New construction in Montevallo from the 200s

This is just a start as there are many, many, many more new neighborhoods going up in central and southern Shelby county in this price range.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,278 times
Default Cost of living in the Alabaster area

I lived in Pensacola some 15 years ago and I just moved to Alabaster from outside the Seattle area. It is a lot more expensive than I was planning on. However, the surrounding areas are bountiful with jobs. Alabaster is a nice up and coming suburb of Birmingham. We just paid $175,000 for a 5 year old, 4 bedroom 2 bath home, but you can find new homes starting at about 130-$140,000. Sales tax ranges between 8.4 %-9% depending on what county you are in. Unfortunately, even food is taxed here, so count on your grocery bill being a bit higher. Water is not too bad if you do not water your lawn. Our electric can be as high as $300 a month in the summer and $98-$150 a month in the winter (depending on whether or not we have some cold snaps). I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Good luck,
Melanie

Old 12-14-2007, 03:31 PM

136 posts, read 596,301 times
Currently there are 184 homes available in Alabaster between 100,000 and 200,000. I know of great homes in the 150s and 160s. At 160k with 100 percent financing at 6.75%would bring your mortgage payment to 1037.76 principle and interest. You will add taxes , interest, and mortgage insurance if applicable. Safe bet would be $1225.

I live in Pelham which is the city north of Alabaster and my water/sewer bill runs in the mid 50s. Some other great cities to look at would be Pelham, Helena, and Calera which is south of Alabaster is booming with plenty of affordable housing.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:02 PM

6 posts, read 7,794 times
How are the schools in Alabaster? Thompson Middle/High School? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area