Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 16,402 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 5 (3 children under 10 years old) that will be moving to Birmingham soon. We are going to rent an apt. while we look for a house to buy. We are supposed to sign a lease this week at the Oaks at Lakeshore, but I have seen several reviews and message board topics about the safety of the Wildwood area (especially the Walmart, which is just outside of the apartment). Some of those reviews were from several years ago. I would appreciate any helpful info about the area now. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 03:25 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
The Wildwood shopping area has seen better days. The north side is almost empty, and the westernmost portion of the south side has beed demolished. But the Sam's Club and Wal-Mart and the restaurants remain very busy. I don't think the area is inherently unsafe. If I had to list Wal-Mart-based shopping areas in Birmingham in order of safeness, this one would not be near the bottom of the list.

That being said, make sure you know what school district you're getting at those apartments. If you're wanting Homewood schools, call the Homewood school board and confirm with them that you are zoned for Homewood. Most of that area out there ("Oxmoor Valley") is actually Birmingham city limits or unincorporated Jefferson County. To the furthest west, it is Bessemer. Yes, Ross Bridge is in Hoover, but hardly anything else is.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 16,402 times
Thanks so much for the quick response. You are right--we will be in the Birmingham city school district, but I homeschool, so that isn't a huge concern for us. When we settle on a home to buy, though, we will definitely be considering the schools since the kids might return to public school in the future.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 AM

178 posts, read 370,433 times
Just on Sunday I was returning from Sams club. I have never been to that area before. I love 280 and I love to be stuck in the traffic there. I love it so much that one day I will propose the 'slower traffic keep right' signs be removed, since there is no fast moving traffic on there anyway. Back to while returning from Sams club I could feel the area to be fantastic. All the families out and people jogging and kids playing and everything. Which is so unlike most of the Birmingham I have been to. Lakeshore is one area that will be on top of my list when I decide to buy a house and when I am credit history worthy. So to answer your question, just by the feel of it, I think the area is good.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Some of the apartments there are gated, I would pick one of those. Some of the fall in the 35211 zip code which also includes very high crime related portions of the city. That will cause your car and renters insurance to be higher then other parts of the city even if the complex you live in is nice and gated.

Wildwood used to be nice, but now that both movie theaters are gone you at least don't have the trouble of teens and riff raff coming through late at night. The cops pretty much busted up the street racing scene that used to congregate down there saturday nights.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 AM
Miv

156 posts, read 350,916 times
Rule of thumb: Before renting an apartment in Jefferson County the first question to ask is do they accept Section 8. If the answer is yes, expect more crime than one that doesn't.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 PM

415 posts, read 801,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happybuddha View Post
Just on Sunday I was returning from Sams club. I have never been to that area before. I love 280 and I love to be stuck in the traffic there. I love it so much that one day I will propose the 'slower traffic keep right' signs be removed, since there is no fast moving traffic on there anyway. Back to while returning from Sams club I could feel the area to be fantastic. All the families out and people jogging and kids playing and everything. Which is so unlike most of the Birmingham I have been to. Lakeshore is one area that will be on top of my list when I decide to buy a house and when I am credit history worthy. So to answer your question, just by the feel of it, I think the area is good.
If you are being serious you must be talking about the portion of Lakeshore that is down towards Samford.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happybuddha View Post
What happened to walking to work:>)

Lakeshore towards Samford has trails and is populated. The other direction is not quite my cup of tea.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:07 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
If you are being serious you must be talking about the portion of Lakeshore that is down towards Samford.
Yeah, really it is a night and day difference. The Lakeshore Drive side (Samford) has nice neighborhoods and businesses right up on the street.
The Lakeshore Parkway side (mall, Sams Wal-mart) is mostly apartments and commercial and then nothing much as you get down into Oxmoor. There are some houses but they are back off he road a piece. I-65 is the divider.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:28 AM

17 posts, read 55,186 times
Default Lakeshore area...

I go went to Lakeshore Foundation for rehabilitation and physical therapy on my legs (wheelchair)
The area down by Lakeshore Foundation, and Brookwood Village mall is great its actually like the back of Mountain Brook when you drive through you will find yourself in Mountain Brook in less than 5 Mins. Now when you cross "Green Springs Highway" and the on-ramp for "HWY 65" I think it is... it's like night and day, and I would not recommend it.
If I were you i'd find the zip code for Brookwood Village or Samford University as someone above mentioned and search for that area....

Good Luck...
My Family and I are relocating too...From Birmingham, but a lot has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area