Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:46 AM

182 posts, read 901,126 times

Advertisements

I forgot to mention I'm still suffering a sore throat from all the talking I did about how much I love Birmingham while I was there!

My family and friends still can't believe I live here and asked a lot of questions so I spent a lot of time trying to dispell the same impressions I had before moving. They were happy that I enjoy it here but I don't know if I was able to change their impressions much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 10:56 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
The same here. You moved to where????? Yes, we have a well, dirt drive way, washer in the front yard (actually we had for the last two days) and still use confederate money. It takes some people a second or two to realize they have been made fund of.

Did you explain to your friends and family that there are some rather tough immigration restrictions for Alabama? Once the quote for Californians has been met for the year they will have to reapply. Duck and run.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I do apologize for the stranger, his obvious biased opinion and apparent lack of upbringing and manners.
Picking a fight inside an airport terminal is not a good idea.
You're quite right, which is why I didn't but it's VERY difficult for me to keep my trap shut sometimes especially when it comes to the race issue because I feel by not saying something I am in a way condoning it.

Quote:
Did you bring goodies? Will you share?
Do YOU consider yourself new to town?
I did bring goodies! I stocked up at Trader Joes and shipped a box of stuff home for myself and mp33. I also went to Sees Candies and got gifts for several people since there is no Sees here and it's more expensive to order them online. I went nuts in the Nordstroms shoe dept too.

I do still feel new to town. Most everyone I know is either a local or has been here for ages. I am also still discovering new things all the time and there are still so many places I want to go but haven't been yet.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, we have a well, dirt drive way, washer in the front yard (actually we had for the last two days) and still use confederate money. It takes some people a second or two to realize they have been made fund of.
On the flip side I have found I have to be careful about appearing over enthusiastic about moving here because some Alabamians are overly sensitive. I have apparently come across as TOO suprised at how much I like it here and was met with much the same response as what you posted above.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:24 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2Bham View Post

I did bring goodies! I stocked up at Trader Joes and shipped a box of stuff home for myself and mp33. I also went to Sees Candies and got gifts for several people since there is no Sees here and it's more expensive to order them online. I went nuts in the Nordstroms shoe dept too.
And me :>((( Expats ought to stick together.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 AM

763 posts, read 3,836,134 times
OK Californians!!! I'm listening to you about Trader Joes!

I got on their website and sent them an email requesting they evaluate putting a store in Birmingham.

YOU CAN HELP!!

Write to them at this link. Tell them you moved from California and you want a Trader Joes here in Birmingham. This kind of thing can work!

Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store - Contact Us:Location Requests (http://www.traderjoes.com/location_requests_form.aspx - broken link)

I know a real estate developer here who had to work very hard to get McCormick and Schmicks (Seattle) to overcome their stereotypical image of Birmingham and come to visit to evaluate opening here. After they came, they fell in love with it and invested in a very expensive free-standing building. It was the same with Cheesecake Factory out of LA. Had to drag them here but after arriving and seeing it, they invested too and their store thrives...Costco too. The story repeats itself over and over....Birmingham is a very strong retail market with revenue per square foot exceeding the national average.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:48 AM

I have e-mailed Trader Joes already but perhaps another, or 70, e-mails wouldn't hurt.

Trader Joes is usually pretty good about going where they are wanted; however someone on here did make a good point that I did not think about. Because they sell all kinds of beer, wine and alcohol, coming to Birmingham may pose a problem for them. I know of no other food stores in Birmingham that can sell all that in one store.

I can probably get by with getting my fixes at the Atlanta TJ's but the great thing about them is their frozen foods (luv my mochi ice cream!) but that would be really hard to transport back to Birmingham with just a cooler.

What we could do is start a TJ club and notify the club member if/when one is going to be making a TJ trip to Atlanta, then the others could put in their order and upon returning we could all get together to exchange the goods/moola.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:56 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,134 times
Well they could sell the beer and wine but not the hard stuff....everything else would be OK...

Looks like a very wonderful store. In all my visits to California I never had a chance to shop there....

Old 10-05-2007, 05:03 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,685 times
Quote:
Did you explain to your friends and family that there are some rather tough immigration restrictions for Alabama? Once the quote for Californians has been met for the year they will have to reapply. Duck and run.
Bwahahahaha! Love it.

As for TJ's, I don't really go for pre-packaged or frozen foods, so I didn't get much there. That yummy mozzarella and some other nice cheese. A visit to the deli section or for some nuts. Sometimes cheap TJ's liquor (bottled by the expensive guys if you look on the back) for things hard to find like Campari. Definitely a couple bottles of Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

But CAN'T leave the store without at least a couple bags (or 3 or 4) of the white cheddar popcorn. It's addictive. But also takes up a lot of space. I don't dare go to TJ's when I fly to CA for work, or I'd end up leaving the clothes in the hotel and stuff the carry-on with popcorn which I really don't need to be eating since I scarf down a bag at a time.

They already have my email, but I'll send 'em another one.

I haven't found any place that sells a decent gouda in AL yet, but it's gotta be there somewhere. There aren't any funky "cheese" laws here.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:59 PM

41 posts, read 146,610 times
Well, my mom, dad, 2 sisters, brother-in-law, and precious niece are a comin' next week. For some reason, my sister will call and say "I just bought a new fall sweater for my trip ... I'm all ready!" Yes, Alabama hasn't proved itself to be a land of four seasons, YET anyway. I wish with all my heart I could offer that to them -- BUT, they are not coming for the weather...good thing! I have no idea what they're going to think ... they know (as does the entire forum) how it's taking a wee while for me to adjust. But, I'll show them all the hot spots and pretty areas -- who knows, they MAY just leave thinking how nuts I am for wondering this whole time if I'll ever be able to feel at home.

Ditto to the "Why on earth did you move from So Cal to Alabama" comments. If I had a dime for everytime...

So true:
California is made fun of and looked down upon, so why are you asking and looking all surprised that I moved here?
-OR-
If you think this is a lame place to live, why not move? Some people don't have a choice??

Many people think it's a glamorous and romantic place to live ... like it's the center of the universe. I know what they should do, try moving there and raising a family ... they'll change their mind about glamorous and romantic real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area