Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 03:06 PM

16 posts, read 44,601 times

Advertisements

We did find out that my husband will have to drive over to Tuscaloosa at least once a week - so, what are thoughts about the Hoover or Bessemer areas?

I really liked what we saw in Trussville while we looked - but I think they are wanting him more South-West B'ham, where more of the upper scale communities are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Very cool. Just go ahead and pick a team. Alabama or Auburn, otherwise known as the Forces of Evil or the Forces of Goodness and Light.

Let us know if you have any more questions. We'll help in any way we can. That's how we roll.

Hahaha, My family are all really big into Auburn - since they live there. But, I'm a Michigan girl. Well, when I can be bothered to care about football. Now, if you want to talk Hockey - that's another story!

Old 08-09-2013, 03:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLady_WPB View Post

Hahaha, My family are all really big into Auburn - since they live there. But, I'm a Michigan girl. Well, when I can be bothered to care about football. Now, if you want to talk Hockey - that's another story!
What is this hockey of which you speak?

Old 08-09-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
We did find out that my husband will have to drive over to Tuscaloosa at least once a week - so, what are thoughts about the Hoover or Bessemer areas?

I really liked what we saw in Trussville while we looked - but I think they are wanting him more South-West B'ham, where more of the upper scale communities are?
Hoover/Helena would be your best bets. Mind you, Hoover sprawls all over the place, so you likely would want to look in Hoover west of I-65. Hoover has excellent schools. Helena is also a good place to live, but the schools aren't quite up there with Hoover.

As far as the drive from there to Tuscaloosa, that's an incredibly easy drive. Less than 45 minutes. If you make the same drive from Helena, maybe an hour.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:28 PM

Well, excellent schools are def on our list. In fact, because of this oddly timed moved - I'll probably be Homeschooling for my sons Kindergarten year. I think Hoover is looking good from both the drive to Auburn and Tuscaloosa standpoints, plus it seems like a super family friendly area. Very working middle class-ish.

Do you suggest North or South of 459?

Are there neighborhoods in that area - hmmm, I'm not sure how to phrase that question, for example - I live in Palm Bay, Florida - but, my neighborhood is actually called "The Compound", it's just a subdivision type of area within Palm Bay. Hopefully that made sense?

Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 PM

And would you happen to know how the schools are ran there? Here we are school of choice with lottery, otherwise its based on where you live, as to where your child gets placed.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Well, excellent schools are def on our list. In fact, because of this oddly timed moved - I'll probably be Homeschooling for my sons Kindergarten year. I think Hoover is looking good from both the drive to Auburn and Tuscaloosa standpoints, plus it seems like a super family friendly area. Very working middle class-ish.

Do you suggest North or South of 459?

Are there neighborhoods in that area - hmmm, I'm not sure how to phrase that question, for example - I live in Palm Bay, Florida - but, my neighborhood is actually called "The Compound", it's just a subdivision type of area within Palm Bay. Hopefully that made sense?
Not sure. Hoover isn't really my area. I know some parts, but I'm not the authority. However, one area you could look at is Ross Bridge, especially in the Southhampton area. Some are in the 400s, but some are in the 200s. Worth a look in my opinion.

Real estate in the Ross Bridge Southampton tract | Ross Bridge

Old 08-09-2013, 04:15 PM

Well, after talking to my husband - it seems as though his company is going to put him up in a hotel for a month or so, so that we can get moved. We are tossing around the idea of just renting an apartment for a few months so that we can get on the ground and explore. We haven't lived in an apartment in 6 years... Def NOT looking forward to that experience again!

The Ashby at Ross Bridge seems nice from the online pictures, at least. A bit pricey for nothing special apartments though. :/

Old 08-10-2013, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,314 times
My job will be in the Hover area, and I'm looking for a place under $900 that is safe and nice. I'm a single man 31 with no kids and I'm very active. I enjoy nature and the night life.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,053 times
1) Mainly Hoover with occasional trips to downtown Birmingham.
2) Apartment, preferably under 700 a month rent.
3) No children.
4) Just getting away from it all.
5) No medical needs
6) Neighborhood doesn’t matter
This may be almost a year off but I need to plan and put my requests. I work for a major company as a software engineer and my fiancé is a teacher. We live in NJ and decided it’s time to get out. We have been to all the places my company said I can transfer to and we liked Birmingham the best( and I don’t take a cut in pay). I had been there previously on business several times before and love Alabama. ( I currently live on the ‘Jersey Shore’, which isn’t us.) The issue is we want to settle down and have a family and want to buy a nice home but would like to be down there already when we go through the buying process in addition to having my fiancé find a job. So I have a few questions:
1)Are there any affordable housing complexes, extended stay hotels, even mobile home parks, where we could stay 3 or 6 months while we are in the home buying and transition phase which would allow a pitbull/boxer mix. He is trained and looks like a dark colored boxer more than a pitbull, but I have to do things right and do not want to sneak him around. I don’t mind a longer commute if I have to go a bit further away as this is just a temporary situation. We plan on moving into the Hoover, Pelham, or Alabaster areas when we do purchase a home.
2) How are the teaching jobs/districts down there? I know pay is lower but it’s small compared with the significant cost of living compared to NJ) She is certified Pre-k through Kindergarten.
Thanks!!

Last edited by db12284; 10-23-2013 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area