Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,834 times

Advertisements

Hello, we relocated to Homewood about 1 1/2 year ago. We've been renting and now we are ready to buy a home. We love Homewood, but need to consider all of our options. We are an African American family and have 2 kids- 7 years old and 2 year old. We love the Homewood community and school district but would love to see more diversity. My husband works at UAB and we'd like to keep his commute under 30 mins with traffic. As for a home, we want to be in a diverse, friendly community with young families. Our budget is under $400k, at least 3 bedroom, at least 1800 square feet, old home (already renovated) or new construction. School system is very important. We want excellent elementary through high school. HELP! All advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 05:41 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullycrew View Post
Hello, we relocated to Homewood about 1 1/2 year ago. We've been renting and now we are ready to buy a home. We love Homewood, but need to consider all of our options. We are an African American family and have 2 kids- 7 years old and 2 year old. We love the Homewood community and school district but would love to see more diversity. My husband works at UAB and we'd like to keep his commute under 30 mins with traffic. As for a home, we want to be in a diverse, friendly community with young families. Our budget is under $400k, at least 3 bedroom, at least 1800 square feet, old home (already renovated) or new construction. School system is very important. We want excellent elementary through high school. HELP! All advice is greatly appreciated.
Homewood and Hoover would seem to make the most sense. You can definitely still get 1800sf for under 400k in hoover.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:16 PM

22 posts, read 28,253 times
Default Moving to Birmingham

Hello all,

I will be moving to Birmingham soon.

1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting?

Will be working at University of Alabama Hospital.

Looking for commute time under 20 mins.

2) Do you have a price range for your house or apartment?

Looking for apartment or town home.

Price up to $1400.

3) Do you have children? Do they have unique educational needs?

No.

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all?

Arts, fine dining, hiking, running.

5) Do you have special medical needs?

No.

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care?

Doesn't matter.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:10 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVnewbie View Post
Hello all,

1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting?

Price up to $1400.

No.

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all?

No.

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care?

Doesn't matter.
I would recommend the immediate neighborhoods around the Birmingham City Center like Glen Iris, Lakeview, Avondale, Woodlawn, Highland Park, Forest Park, etc. All of those are around your price range and lifestyle type

Old 03-10-2019, 01:13 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Price up to $1400.

No.

No.

Doesn't matter.

You could get a pretty new 1 bedroom place anywhere near downtown which could even be walking distance to your work for $1400.

If you need more space, you can get nice 2 and even 3 bedroom places in Homewood, Vestavia, and Hoover in that price range.

I think you would probably best be served by visiting and just seeing what parts of town appeal to you... because $1400 is enough of a budget for 1 person to live pretty much anywhere they want in the city.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:13 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Price up to $1400.

No.

No.

Doesn't matter.

There are plenty of nice options for 1 BR apartments for under $1400 within a ten minute stroll of the hospital. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
There are plenty of nice options for 1 BR apartments for under $1400 within a ten minute stroll of the hospital. Good luck!
I came across many lofts in the downtown area. Any opinions on these? Couldn't find many reviews.

Also, what is the parking situation in downtown apartments/lofts?

Old 03-10-2019, 07:10 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
I came across many lofts in the downtown area. Any opinions on these? Couldn't find many reviews.

Also, what is the parking situation in downtown apartments/lofts?

I think you'd have to check with the individual buildings for that. For example, the Pizitz is pretty cool with a parking deck, an awfully good food hall/bar on the first floor and an indy theater under construction in the basement. Plus you're within easy walking distance of a grocery store, UAB Hospital, and a bunch of restaurants and nightclubs.

Parkside is also a cool place right across from a great park (Naturally given the name) and two blocks away from the ball field.

Someone else suggested you conduct the eyeball test. I think it's good idea.

In truth, if I were single and just starting out, I'd be hard pressed to not live either downtown or on Southside along Highland Avenue, especially if I were needing to work long hours in a hospital.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think you'd have to check with the individual buildings for that. For example, the Pizitz is pretty cool with a parking deck, an awfully good food hall/bar on the first floor and an indy theater under construction in the basement. Plus you're within easy walking distance of a grocery store, UAB Hospital, and a bunch of restaurants and nightclubs.

Parkside is also a cool place right across from a great park (Naturally given the name) and two blocks away from the ball field.

Someone else suggested you conduct the eyeball test. I think it's good idea.

In truth, if I were single and just starting out, I'd be hard pressed to not live either downtown or on Southside along Highland Avenue, especially if I were needing to work long hours in a hospital.
The Pizitz seems extremely appealing when I looked online. I will be visiting to tour the area. Thank you!

Old 03-10-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I would recommend the immediate neighborhoods around the Birmingham City Center like Glen Iris, Lakeview, Avondale, Woodlawn, Highland Park, Forest Park, etc. All of those are around your price range and lifestyle type
Great! Thanks for the recommendations. I will check these neighborhoods out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area