Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2020, 01:02 PM

841 posts, read 824,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereWasAMoose View Post
Thanks so much for this!! Looking forward to getting to Birmingham.
Since you're a bargain hunter, you might want to check out the Southside neighborhood, generally located to the south of the UAB campus and up the slope of Red Mountain. I have always really liked this area (first place I lived in Birmingham back in the day), but it can be more on the gritty side in places. I always loved the great views of the city and have never understood why the area hasn't become more popular. I would carefully check out any rentals, though, since it can be a bit of a mixed bag. The Highland Avenue area will certainly offer more right outside the door.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 08:07 PM

154 posts, read 346,181 times
Default Another possible new BHam'r

I am brand new in town. Don't know the neighborhoods at all yet. Considering living in Bham for awhile. Looking for neighborhood ideas for rental. Riffing off the original post's question list:

1) In what area of town will you be working?
I work from home, so the work aspect isn't important. What *is* important is that I'm not in one of those internet dead zones that every community seems to have for one reason or another.

2) Do you have a price range for your house or apartment?
I went to get as close to $500 as possible.

I'm OK with: studio, one bedroom, a casita, a mother-in-law suite in someone's house, and even a room with private bath (under right circumstances) and shared kitchen, etc.

3) What kind of neighborhood vibe do you seek?

Walkable community.
Diversity in income, age, complexion, language.
Trees.
Grocery store not far away. Of the Bham stores I'm familiar with, Sprouts is my favored go-to. Plus an international market that has jicama, kimchi, and fish sauce.
Generally friendly and laid-back atmosphere.

BC (Before COVID), I'd list my interests as: live music (especially blues, jazz, roots, zydeco if exists in Bham), dance (swing, blues fusion, zydeco), cultural events, hiking meetups, but most seem to be on hold for the forseeable future.

I'm not a foodie and I'm not a shopper, but I do like a good cup of coffee. So a neighborhood with tons of restaurants or shops not important to me.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Old 07-07-2020, 09:11 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzurie View Post
I am brand new in town. Don't know the neighborhoods at all yet. Considering living in Bham for awhile. Looking for neighborhood ideas for rental. Riffing off the original post's question list:

1) In what area of town will you be working?
I work from home, so the work aspect isn't important. What *is* important is that I'm not in one of those internet dead zones that every community seems to have for one reason or another.

2) Do you have a price range for your house or apartment?
I went to get as close to $500 as possible.

I'm OK with: studio, one bedroom, a casita, a mother-in-law suite in someone's house, and even a room with private bath (under right circumstances) and shared kitchen, etc.

3) What kind of neighborhood vibe do you seek?

Walkable community.
Diversity in income, age, complexion, language.
Trees.
Grocery store not far away. Of the Bham stores I'm familiar with, Sprouts is my favored go-to. Plus an international market that has jicama, kimchi, and fish sauce.
Generally friendly and laid-back atmosphere.

BC (Before COVID), I'd list my interests as: live music (especially blues, jazz, roots, zydeco if exists in Bham), dance (swing, blues fusion, zydeco), cultural events, hiking meetups, but most seem to be on hold for the forseeable future.

I'm not a foodie and I'm not a shopper, but I do like a good cup of coffee. So a neighborhood with tons of restaurants or shops not important to me.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance!
Lots of small, international markets down Green Springs Highway (Columbiana Road) in Homewood. Sprouts is down 280, but Greenwise in Mountain Brook is good as well, plus there are farmers markets downtown, especially in the Lakeview District.

Overall, a grocery store trip is once a week. In the intervening time Southside around Highland Avenue really provides what need.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:09 AM

Thanks, Minivandriver - I see my comment re: grocery stores might give that variable far more weight than it carries for me in seeking out a neighborhood. I wish I could edit that out, but editing doesn't seem possible at this juncture.

And yes! Thanks for the Southside/Highland lead. Based on ideas for an earlier poster, I will definitely check that out, plus Avondale and Crestwood.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Minivandriver - I see my comment re: grocery stores might give that variable far more weight than it carries for me in seeking out a neighborhood. I wish I could edit that out, but editing doesn't seem possible at this juncture.

And yes! Thanks for the Southside/Highland lead. Based on ideas for an earlier poster, I will definitely check that out, plus Avondale and Crestwood.

One more thought. Make sure it passes the eyeball test. Neighborhoods can change in a hurry, sometimes from block to block. Google Street view helps a lot.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:36 AM

Hello - to close the loop: I've found a place in the Southside Community that I think's going to work out great. Moving in very soon.

Thank you, all, for your assistance, both present and in the thread's archives.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Hello - to close the loop: I've found a place in the Southside Community that I think's going to work out great. Moving in very soon.

Thank you, all, for your assistance, both present and in the thread's archives.

Cool. What part of Southside? Don't give us an address, but a nearby interchange.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:45 PM

In the Glen Iris area.

I did, indeed, run the eyeball test. That's a must on my list, too.

Glen Iris has both the lovely and the not-so-lovely.

A surprising turn - I was contacted by a Jenifer Erenner about a place in Highland. Beware.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,847 times
Angry test please ignore

test test

Old 08-14-2020, 09:13 AM

138 posts, read 155,846 times
Quote:

I concur with the Highland Ave. area recommendations. My best friend lives in Park Tower Condos and has for decades, she loves it! You may find what you need, rental-wise, at Park Tower on Highland Ave. South, although it may be a little outside your housing budget.

I do not recommend 2990 S Rhodes Cir., these apartments are a converted motel and the large windows, although nice for the view, make for an extremely high heating and a/c bill. Like $300+ a month a decade ago. It's a great location, just terrible energy efficiency wise. Also, back then at least, each unit had a combination washer/dryer unit that was small and just a poor design. My stepdaughter ended up using a nearby laundromat to do her laundry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area