Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Birmingham invest in "South Birmingham" for major growth?
Yes 12 48.00%
No 7 28.00%
Maybe, but... 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 04:38 PM

322 posts, read 243,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
The whole point is that 50 years ago, Birmingham was as big or bigger than these cities. While they progressed, Birmingham stagnated. That's the whole point.
You are exactly right. This is an undisputable fact. But it's history and that is unchangeable. We must focus on the present and future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 07:50 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,979 times
Quote:
The whole point is that 50 years ago, Birmingham was as big or bigger than these cities. While they progressed, Birmingham stagnated. That's the whole point.
And what does that have to do with where the city is headed now?

Old 01-14-2015, 09:13 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
We're just going to have to do it without help from the Gov...

Bell: Mystery project will bring more than 500 jobs to Bham - Birmingham Business Journal

Quote:
After his address, Bell wouldn't spill many more details, but he said the announcement will result in 500 to 1,000 new jobs for the Birmingham area. He said the nature of the announcement involves an existing company within the metro, rather than a new business.
More suppliers or the expansion of an existing supplier should be easy wins with M-B and Honda in the area. I hope the Pemco Aeroplex site lands a major industry soon too.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyVulcan View Post
^^^I can't speak for the poster however, I will say that I was taught to never forget the past, The Holocaust for example. If you don't learn from the PAST particularly as a victim, you might just be victimized again - example: what happened in Paris at the Jewish Deli - or what happened at Kelly Ingram in Birmingham. It's fundamental never to forget history. History has EVERYTHING to do with the present and future, when dealing with evil, evil acts, and evil human beings. Clearly evil thoughts are still around Paris, France. Similarly it's possible and likely that the same thing applies to Birmingham, Alabama given the histories. So of course if you want to turn away from a past wrong course or to simply change course, the tactics and methodologies of "where to head now" are relevant. The wrong course can't be summarily ignored. That's foolish because if a ship doesn't know what destination is seeks, "any port will do".
Yesh, I understand what you are saying. But, I think we've moved past that haven't we? If you're referring to Birmingham's evil past, we're well aware of it and moving in a different direction. So, once again, I ask, what is the point in continuing to state that at one point Birmingham was on an even playing field with other cities and isn't anymore?

What you are referring to is learning from the past and moving on. What you are actually doing is dwelling on the past. Those are two incredibly different things. The only way anything can improve is moving on. That's what the people of Birmingham have done. Others seem to struggle to do so. And that's ok. They can stay where they are. Not everybody is willing to accept and move forward with change.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:04 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
And what does that have to do with where the city is headed now?
Birmingham's trajectory has not drastically changed. A new downtown baseball park, some new restaurants, some new apartments... that is great and all... but there haven't really been any big time game changers. No new skyscrapers. No Fortune 500 companies moving their headquarters here.

If anything, Birmingham continues to lose on that front, and is certainly losing on that front compared to its contemporaries from yesteryear. If the city's trajectory doesn't change significantly, then 30 years from now people will be saying it is unfair to be comparing Birmingham to cities like Greenville-Spartanburg, Richmond, Tulsa, Louisville, etc.

Is Birmingham headed in the right direction? Maybe. But if it is, it is a tiny blip on an otherwise long, downward sloping graph. If it can truly rebound, then great. But even with this downtown boom, there are fewer people living in the city of Birmingham now than in 2000, 1990, 1980, 1970, 1960, 1950, 1940, and 1930.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:01 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Let me state this emphatically. Not many natives of Birmingham are "against" Birmingham. Many of us are NOT "Johnny-Come-Latelys" either. The clear and apparent tenor by some is that they themselves have a lock on "knowledge" about Birmingham, Alabama, which is indicative of the parochial and insular nature of Birmingham which has kept it lagging so many other cities over time, in the first place. There is no requisite of reciting an "Allegiance to Birmingham" in order to comment on its past, present or future.

BTW, there are lots of cities I have lived in that I would never step a foot in again to LIVE....ever. Life is too short, and this vast great nation offers too much to experience and see. I would perish the thought of being locked into that awful limitation.

And yet you change 'names' and come back here repetedly, even writing the same sentences, worded in the same way.
Disregarded by most.

(no allegiance; just intelligence, knowledge, and perspective; without which one lacks credibility)

Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
And yet you change 'names' and come back here repetedly, even writing the same sentences, worded in the same way.
Disregarded by most.

(no allegiance; just intelligence, knowledge, and perspective; without which one lacks credibility)
It reeks of desperation and a total lack of self confidence.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:21 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Birmingham's trajectory has not drastically changed. A new downtown baseball park, some new restaurants, some new apartments... that is great and all... but there haven't really been any big time game changers. No new skyscrapers. No Fortune 500 companies moving their headquarters here.

If anything, Birmingham continues to lose on that front, and is certainly losing on that front compared to its contemporaries from yesteryear. If the city's trajectory doesn't change significantly, then 30 years from now people will be saying it is unfair to be comparing Birmingham to cities like Greenville-Spartanburg, Richmond, Tulsa, Louisville, etc.

Is Birmingham headed in the right direction? Maybe. But if it is, it is a tiny blip on an otherwise long, downward sloping graph. If it can truly rebound, then great. But even with this downtown boom, there are fewer people living in the city of Birmingham now than in 2000, 1990, 1980, 1970, 1960, 1950, 1940, and 1930.
What is important is that there are more people than last year, a beginning, a turnaround perhaps.

(you posted this as though you are unaware of how many of America's top one hundred cities have less population now than fifty years ago)
It is actually quite common, and for many different reasons. Those that have a marked increase in population did so mostly through annexation and/or consolidation, and even migration. (as is the case with three southern cities often touted by people like you)

It is noticeable that you choose to overlook that which is good and accomplished. However always dependable to cast dispersion on positive efforts. I suspect it is not necessary to appease your need to be the bearer of possible bad news for the city or to capitulate to your always dependable negativity.

I do respect that this is how you choose to interact on the forum. If you can never be positive, you just can't. I understand that is true for many people.

Last edited by raj kapoor; 01-14-2015 at 02:33 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
First highlight response : No, I don't think Birmingham has moved on entirely...evidence is abound
Second highlight response: I agree totally. The salient point is that "people of many other cities" have done this "moving on" at a faster, more effective, and demonstrably stronger pace. And those cities aren't standing still either as we speak. They have a huge headstart, whether you wish to acknowledge that or not. HUGE headstart.
I'm not sure of whether Birmingham has moved on or not. What evidence abounds? Can you expound on that? I have no problem being convinced that the city is going nowhere. If it isn't, then maybe I need to be clued in. I'm not zealot.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
First highlight response : No, I don't think Birmingham has moved on entirely...evidence is abound
Second highlight response: I agree totally. The salient point is that "people of many other cities" have done this "moving on" at a faster, more effective, and demonstrably stronger pace. And those cities aren't standing still either as we speak. They have a huge headstart, whether you wish to acknowledge that or not. HUGE headstart.
I have no problem admitting that they have a huge head start either. It would be ridiculous to think that Birmingham has the same competitive ground as Atlanta or similar city. That's not really the point. Other cities also moved on at a faster rate. I'll agree with you on that. But we're moving on. I'm living in the now. I have now time to linger on negative things. That's just not part of my future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area