Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Birmingham invest in "South Birmingham" for major growth?
Yes 12 48.00%
No 7 28.00%
Maybe, but... 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 05:29 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times

Advertisements

"Pal."

Birmingham must have a special place in your heart to keep you coming back with new account after new account. This thread isn't about Nashville or Atlanta and my comment was about Birmingham vs the rest of Alabama. Deal with that, bruh or go leg-hump those cities' forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 05:38 PM

322 posts, read 243,213 times
Well, I pray you guy's are not in the Birmingham metro. If you are may God help us!

Old 01-11-2015, 05:46 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT897 View Post
I drove through Birmingham yesterday on I20/59. Traffic was not bad even with the Birmingham Bowl in town. Actually I passed through going to Locust Fork about 7am but came back through around 2pm. I miss the Liberty National statue that was on top of their building for many years.

Come to think of it I passed through Birmingham on January 1st on my way to Carrollton, GA too. Of course you don't interact too much with the city just passing through. But even with some construction going on the interstate through there seems in pretty good shape.

I do wonder why the gas prices are so much higher in Alabama than in Mississippi though. I bought gas for $1.91 along the interstate in Mississippi and the highest I saw was $1.95. In Alabama it's $2.09 and up to $2.19. I have always heard that Mississippi had higher state taxes on gas than any state surrounding it. Perhaps that has changed.
Quote:
Well, I pray you guy's are not in the Birmingham metro. If you are may God help us!
Ha ha. I like how your first posts in this thread tried to imply you were from somewhere else and were just providing an friendly outsiders point of view to now you being a concerned citizen with a recently updated location profile. Real slick.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Ha ha. I like how your first posts in this thread tried to imply you were from somewhere else and were just providing an friendly outsiders point of view to now you being a concerned citizen with a recently updated location profile. Real slick.
I did pass through Birmingham on those days. I don't live downtown. I don't live in a county that borders on Jefferson county either. But I am considered in the Birmingham metro these day's.

Now you seem to be from down low somewhere. I don't believe you are who you say you are and I cannot believe you live in the Birmingham area. And I think you have been coming in under many names to this forum to.

One thing for sure. I don't want you knowing where I live. I would not feel safe.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:10 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Like I said, If the metro area contains more cities then it would get more as compared to metro areas with less cities. The state should not pick parts of a metro over other parts of a metro, or other parts of the state. The state is there for the entire state and not just metro areas or some areas or some cities. Favoritism needs to be removed from the process.
You clearly do not understand how representative government works. (btw, that is the type we have in the USA)

Old 01-12-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
You clearly do not understand how representative government works. (btw, that is the type we have in the USA)
I fully understand we have a Representative Republic in this country. I also realize that this discussion has nothing to do with our federal government style but that of the state. Which for Alabama is also a form of Representative Republic. That still does not mean the state government should play favorites and ignore parts of the state.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 AM

Some people just love to hate. And hate is what has and is holding Birmingham back from what it could be.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:27 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,156 times
I believe the entire Birmingham metro is poised for much growth. As I've said before, while I think every part of the city should receive attention, the biggest potential is always in high density projects. It costs the city less money in infrastructure and makes for a more attractive city in the eyes of most people. You'll always have the suburban dwellers... The trend has changed and people are moving back into the city centers but the suburbanites will remain. Nothing wrong with either. But I think a solid city center makes the entire area better.

FT897, as for our prior conversation before this all got sidetracked with negativity, I do understand your points. You made some great ones. I just think that from an economic perspective, we should always focus on what's going to bring the best outcome. If promoting the city of Birmingham helps the entire metro, then that's what should be done. If promoting the Birmingham metro helps the cities on the outside of that area, then that's what should be done. If that helps the whole state, then what's the problem?

We can't and shouldn't be compared to Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte or any other city that has far surpassed us in population and amenities that come with that. If we want to move there, we can. It's only a few hours away and the cost of living isn't all that different. I'm still not above moving to one of those cities or anywhere else. I'm not from Birmingham and have no real roots here. Nothing's stopping me. I just that that comparing a city to another city is pointless.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
I believe the entire Birmingham metro is poised for much growth. As I've said before, while I think every part of the city should receive attention, the biggest potential is always in high density projects. It costs the city less money in infrastructure and makes for a more attractive city in the eyes of most people. You'll always have the suburban dwellers... The trend has changed and people are moving back into the city centers but the suburbanites will remain. Nothing wrong with either. But I think a solid city center makes the entire area better.

FT897, as for our prior conversation before this all got sidetracked with negativity, I do understand your points. You made some great ones. I just think that from an economic perspective, we should always focus on what's going to bring the best outcome. If promoting the city of Birmingham helps the entire metro, then that's what should be done. If promoting the Birmingham metro helps the cities on the outside of that area, then that's what should be done. If that helps the whole state, then what's the problem?

We can't and shouldn't be compared to Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte or any other city that has far surpassed us in population and amenities that come with that. If we want to move there, we can. It's only a few hours away and the cost of living isn't all that different. I'm still not above moving to one of those cities or anywhere else. I'm not from Birmingham and have no real roots here. Nothing's stopping me. I just that that comparing a city to another city is pointless.
I agree that the city should focus on the areas of the city that will benefit all the most. But I don't believe the State should play favorites. That's all I am saying. Every city should only receive in proportion to what they pay into the state. It is not Birmingham's responsibility to pay for things in Mobile or Huntsville. It is not Hoovers responsibility to pay for Bessemer's projects. I think the state should remain neutral in it's use of tax dollars.

I do not believe government is the solution to our problems. Government is the problem. Any city or person that is waiting for a handout to move forward has there future facing the wrong direction.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:06 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post

The whole point is that 50 years ago, Birmingham was as big or bigger than these cities. While they progressed, Birmingham stagnated. That's the whole point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area