Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 AM

6 posts, read 18,811 times

Advertisements

Hi there.

I am re-locating to the Birmingham area for a job at UAB. I am a black male in my late 20’s. While I am single at the moment, I have dated many white women in the past (IE, could date a women of that race again).

I have lived in a Suburban college-town in the Great Plains for basically my entire life, and I would LOVE to live in a part of the city with that same college-town vibe/feel. I want some diversity, but I DO NOT WANT TO LIVE IN THE HOOD! Hahaha!! I’m FAR from being a “thug” or “gangsta” (I've got a master's degree), but occasionally, I like to wear a basketball jersey, or a backwards baseball cap on weekends – is that going to pose a problem in the Suburban areas of Birmingham?

Basically, I’m looking for an area that is “fun” enough for a young person, accepting of inter-racial dating, but still “quiet” enough for a professional. Does such a place exist?

I'm looking to rent right now, not buy. I'm willing to spend up to $1200 per month, but obviously I'd like to spend as little as possible. House, apartment, townhouse, condo - it doesn't matter. Essentially, I want to avoid The Hood, while also avoiding mass amounts of racism. Seems harsh wording it that way, I know - Sorry. (and I know its the 2010's not the 1950's, but lets not pretend that racism is no longer an issue.)

So far, I have found that Hoover and Homewood might be my best bets, but I'm asking you guys - the experts - for your opinion. THANKS!!!

Last edited by Soldier Sooner; 07-06-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Miv

156 posts, read 351,227 times
1. Nobody walks around with basketball jerseys or backwards ball caps anymore. Please update your swagger.

2. Checkout the Southside, lakeview, south avondale (South not North) & the Highlands.

3. I would avoid the massive apartment complexes in hoover and homewood. They tend to be pretty hood.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:16 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
Some apartment complexes on and around Lorna in Hoover and the ones on Valley avenue in Homewood typically have mass quantities of Mexicans so that's why most will recommend they be avoided. However there are many more complexes in Hoover and Vestavia that aren't like that.

Southside and Lakeview are cool places to live with the vibe of a growing city center and nearby UAB.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miv View Post
1. Nobody walks around with basketball jerseys or backwards ball caps anymore. Please update your swagger.

2. Checkout the Southside, lakeview, south avondale (South not North) & the Highlands.

3. I would avoid the massive apartment complexes in hoover and homewood. They tend to be pretty hood.
Haha at the bolded part. I love how thats the first thing you addressed.... But thanks for info.
I'm very much into the 90s, and I typically only wear stuff like that to 90s themed events, while shooting hoops, etc... Not like I'm going to dinner or to work dressed like that

Old 07-06-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Some apartment complexes on and around Lorna in Hoover and the ones on Valley avenue in Homewood typically have mass quantities of Mexicans so that's why most will recommend they be avoided. However there are many more complexes in Hoover and Vestavia that aren't like that.

Southside and Lakeview are cool places to live with the vibe of a growing city center and nearby UAB.
Thanks to you as well. I've never come across Southside or Lakeview while doing my Google-research, so I will have to check those out.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:01 PM

Is "Highlands" a nickname for Highland Park? Or are they two separate areas?
Thanks

Old 07-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Miv

156 posts, read 351,227 times
Its the same area.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:11 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,087,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Sooner View Post
Is "Highlands" a nickname for Highland Park? Or are they two separate areas?
Thanks

You sound like a nice guy to know.

Also; Redmont Park, Forest Park Lane Park, English Village, Glen Iris Park, Idlewild Circle, Hanover Circle, Bluff Park. Patton Chapel section of Hoover. Some really nice new apts. on Montclair Road near Crestline Village. (Mountain Brook)

Really nice new apts. across 459 from the Summit. (Grandview) Cahaba Heights has a substantial number of rental homes and duplexes and has a small town feel but is in the middle of the city just south of Shades Mountain.

Google any of these. They range from the south edge of the CBD to just over the Beltway. None of these would put you into bad traffic situations either.

Good luck and enjoy your new adventure.

raj

Last edited by raj kapoor; 07-06-2013 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-06-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
You sound like a nice guy to know.

Also; Redmont Park, Forest Park Lane Park, English Village, Glen Iris Park, Idlewild Circle, Hanover Circle, Bluff Park. Patton Chapel section of Hoover. Some really nice new apts. on Montclair Road near Crestline Village. (Mountain Brook)

Really nice new apts. across 459 from the Summit. (Grandview) Cahaba Heights has a substantial number of rental homes and duplexes and has a small town feel but is in the middle of the city just south of Shades Mountain.

Google any of these. They range from the south edge of the CBD to just over the Beltway. None of these would put you into bad traffic situations either.

Good luck and enjoy your new adventure.

raj
Thanks! and thanks for the info! Those new apartments that you referenced look AWESOME. Gotta check those out when I get to town.

Last edited by Soldier Sooner; 07-06-2013 at 09:01 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 09:42 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Sooner View Post
Thanks! and thanks for the info! Those new apartments that you referenced look AWESOME. Gotta check those out when I get to town.
Yeah. If I were single and in my 20s, Southside's where I'd be. Trust us on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area