Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 7,572 times

Advertisements

I found a really gorgeous Victorian style home for me and my fiance to move into. It's in the Eastlake/Woodlawn area of Birmingham. More specifically, somewhere near 2nd avenue. It's a rent to own house, I believe it was a foreclosure, but that's about the best we can do right now. My mom will be staying with us while we work so our Siberian Huskies wont be left alone.

My concern is basically this: will my mom and my dogs be safe? How big is the possibility of my family becoming the next episode of 48 Hours? We are having to move quickly because my fiance just got the job out of Birmingham from working out of town and they are getting ready to go back and we are in desperate need of a place but in a safe/decent area. Please help?

Also, if anyone knows of any rent to own houses, or any houses that are affordable and dog friendly and are in a nice neighborhood please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
That area is kind of on the comeback, but still iffy in lots of places. I would really move ahead cautiously.

You'd be much better off going a short hop to the Crestwood area or South Avondale.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:32 AM

Thank you! I really do love the house, I just dont want my dogs to get stolen from me. They're my babies lol and I want my mom and us as well to be safe. I've lived in bad areas before but that was just when I had myself to worry about. His job is around the Homewood area, but we cant really afford anywhere near there and we are looking for rent to own so we can finish paying whatever is left on it and have something that is ours. Plus it's kind of hard to rent a place when you have three (maybe even four) dogs to take care of.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Second Avenue North or South? At what street? South is better than North, and it's going to be sub-optimal no matter where it is, but some areas are definitely better than others depending how far east or west you are. The dogs should help with security, actually. the folks who commit property crimes don't seem to mind tripping alarms, but a big barking dog is a good deterrent. As for safety of the dogs, make sure you have a very good fence. You have Siberians, so I know you know how they can climb, dig and roam. Keep them as secure as possible.

Oh, and definitely factor in your utility bills. Those beautiful old houses can be wonderful, but not when you're trying to heat and cool them.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM

It's 2nd Avenue North. In the picture the yard and house looks well kept, and the area around it (what I can see) doesn't look bad either. The fencing isn't messed up but we were going to tear it down once we could and add a 10 foot privacy fence. But we don't let them roam around by theirselves at all, they're way too expensive and too many people in a good neighborhood we are in now have threatened to steal them.

But the investment company we are going through that has the properties said he can't disclose about the neighborhood. I'm from Alabama and have been to Birmingham but I've never ventured far away from the interstate and I've always head how awful it is. I want to stay in Tuscaloosa but that is way too long of a trip for his job so I'm trying to find a nice place. It doesn't have to be crime free, I know no place is crime free. But I want a place where my chances of getting burgled or mugged or shot is slim to none.

And Im not too worried about cooling or heating. Our dogs are long haired so we dont ever use a heater and the house has window units so we can cool just certain parts of the house. And we are big on box fans lol but thanks for that bit of information, I'll have to remember that so we can insulate the house better than it is.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
2nd Avenue North and what cross streets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area