Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 07:09 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I can't wait to see the lights turned on in there. You can barely see it at night. Once the lights are on, it will sort of extend the skyline some.

I'm hoping for a grand celebration with a special guest in the ballroom once it's opened... The place has a lot of history and a lot of important people have stayed there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:27 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
That's a relief. That was one of those long maligned false start projects which had become the butt of so many pundits' jokes on the city's recovery efforts.
Yes, and it feels good to say we have fifteen and twenty story residential towers under construction at the same time. Or to really throw folks off we can say we have thirty-five stories in new residential under construction. lol (that was unthinkable just four weeks ago. lol)

I too am looking forward to the 20Midtown Publix as I have decided to take the plunge and move into town, despite my deep abiding love for Cahaba Heights. Now I am hoping they will get the Bike system up and going. It seems the last I read that it would be in place initially by late summer 2015. I'm hoping.

I feel all we have left for major size projects are about four buildings. One of those has been spoken of several times. ?
With that, I hope that we are on the edge of 'new construction'. THERE, I TYPED IT.
And in that area, especially of new office construction, there are two projects mentioned lately. Corporate Realty. (Mr. Simon practically started this whole renewal thing with CITYVILLE. (sorry, I liked the name the way it was)) And of course Harbert Realty. (whatever they do with the FEDERAL RESERVE property is bound to be classy)

Dropped by BABALU tonight for an early dinner. What a great place. My third visit. Very friendly staff. (still) The place was packed but civilized. I noticed a lot of OTM people loving it. And the age ranges are very healthy. I think when METRO opens across the street they are going to need a circulator shuttle to make continuous passes as the parking is very tight. And I am not complaining. I love these places being packed and having to look for parking. But one electric shuttle would really help to keep some of the more timid among us coming to these areas. (I hope someone downtown understands the concept that success brings new problems, or it doesn't remain successful) At any rate if they get the bikes in, I will be biking over there this summer.

(I recommend beef empanadas and a side of patatas bravas; their tableside quac is as good as I have had in the world)

Old 02-13-2015, 09:25 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Yes, and it feels good to say we have fifteen and twenty story residential towers under construction at the same time. Or to really throw folks off we can say we have thirty-five stories in new residential under construction. lol (that was unthinkable just four weeks ago. lol)

I too am looking forward to the 20Midtown Publix as I have decided to take the plunge and move into town, despite my deep abiding love for Cahaba Heights. Now I am hoping they will get the Bike system up and going. It seems the last I read that it would be in place initially by late summer 2015. I'm hoping.

I feel all we have left for major size projects are about four buildings. One of those has been spoken of several times. ?
With that, I hope that we are on the edge of 'new construction'. THERE, I TYPED IT.
And in that area, especially of new office construction, there are two projects mentioned lately. Corporate Realty. (Mr. Simon practically started this whole renewal thing with CITYVILLE. (sorry, I liked the name the way it was)) And of course Harbert Realty. (whatever they do with the FEDERAL RESERVE property is bound to be classy)

Dropped by BABALU tonight for an early dinner. What a great place. My third visit. Very friendly staff. (still) The place was packed but civilized. I noticed a lot of OTM people loving it. And the age ranges are very healthy. I think when METRO opens across the street they are going to need a circulator shuttle to make continuous passes as the parking is very tight. And I am not complaining. I love these places being packed and having to look for parking. But one electric shuttle would really help to keep some of the more timid among us coming to these areas. (I hope someone downtown understands the concept that success brings new problems, or it doesn't remain successful) At any rate if they get the bikes in, I will be biking over there this summer.

(I recommend beef empanadas and a side of patatas bravas; their tableside quac is as good as I have had in the world)
Yes, that is a great way to put it...35 residential stories under construction - I didn't think of it that way. 20Midtown would be a cool place to live, but whatever you choose should be exciting to be in the middle of.

I wanted to say something about "ne...Noo. <sigh> N.C. earlier but was not brave enough. I do not want to jinx it or accidentally reopen the portal to Trolldaria that is hidden deep under my house.

I tried Babalu's this past weekend and thought it was a cool place, and it was packed. We tried the pollo tacos and crabmeat pico and it was pretty good. Not great, but I want to give it another go. It is just so great to see Lakeview hopping with so much activity.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:57 PM

265 posts, read 428,650 times
The Birmingham area needs a Dillard's and/or Nordstrom (full-line store, nor discount Rack), Tiffany & Company, Dave & Buster's, Microsoft store, Lush Handmade Cosmetics, Disney Store, The Capital Grille, Seasons 52, Corner Bakery Cafe, Maggiano's Little Italy, la Madeleine Country French Cafe, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and Buca Di Beppo.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowboy View Post
The Birmingham area needs a Dillard's and/or Nordstrom (full-line store, nor discount Rack), Tiffany & Company, Dave & Buster's, Microsoft store, Lush Handmade Cosmetics, Disney Store, The Capital Grille, Seasons 52, Corner Bakery Cafe, Maggiano's Little Italy, la Madeleine Country French Cafe, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and Buca Di Beppo.
Is there any real thought or desire behind this list? Or just a list of things not here?

There is a Seasons 52 at the Summit. Nordstrom has been on the radar for years, I just think it is a matter of (a little) time. I don't really care about Dillard's - they don't bring anything new to the table that isn't already covered IMO. The geek in me could get down with a Microsoft store and my kids would lose their minds over a Disney store (wasn't there one in the Galleria at one point)? My man Raj wants a Maggiano's, so I'm down. I will not speak of the &.

The rest, just seems like a bunch of frou frou trinket shops or cafes that we already have covered or I wouldn't miss - so ok, bring em on I guess.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:48 PM

265 posts, read 428,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Is there any real thought or desire behind this list? Or just a list of things not here?

There is a Seasons 52 at the Summit. Nordstrom has been on the radar for years, I just think it is a matter of (a little) time. I don't really care about Dillard's - they don't bring anything new to the table that isn't already covered IMO. The geek in me could get down with a Microsoft store and my kids would lose their minds over a Disney store (wasn't there one in the Galleria at one point)? My man Raj wants a Maggiano's, so I'm down. I will not speak of the &.

The rest, just seems like a bunch of frou frou trinket shops or cafes that we already have covered or I wouldn't miss - so ok, bring em on I guess.
All to their own, I am a retail/dining nut, so I pick up and am familiar from personal visits and experiences to the unique qualities of these retailers/restaurants. The large scale cafes I have mentioned have unique dishes and desserts that are not available in BHM area, and not to mention a unique ambiance. Dillard's has unique brands and products, and ambiance as well, among my favorite department stores, and a nice alternative to Macy's and Von Maur, and A SUPERIOR alternative to BELK. My list are things to consider; ideally it would be nice to have all, but realistically getting some would be good enough. Getting a full-line Nordstrom alone would be phenomenal!!! I do not underestimate small differences, because small for me can be large for someone else.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:33 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
Construction started on 67-unit Iron City Lofts in Lakeview | AL.com

Old 02-19-2015, 10:24 AM

779 posts, read 1,009,979 times
This is going to be HUUUUUUUGE for Avondale! A lot has been done on 41st street and some residential aroind that. However, between 41st and Crestwood, this area gets very rough. This development of this huge building will mean a lot. I also have thought that something needed to be done there for years. I think this will eventually help Woodlawn as well. Very excited about this.

Cahaba Brewing moving to Continental Gin site in Avondale | AL.com

Old 02-19-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
This is going to be HUUUUUUUGE for Avondale!
I agree. An "anchor" like that goes a long way to raising up a neighborhood and lowering the sketch factor. Avondale continues to impress with its revitalization. Woodlawn is next.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:21 PM

163 posts, read 297,582 times
Don't know if it's been mentioned but I'd like to see Quik Trip set up shop in BHM. IMHO BHM doesn't have a really good small food store/convenience chain. Quik Trip is a very well run company that doesn't price gouge and is very good to its employees.

And, yes, Quik Trip is now in Greenville/Spartanburg area.

I continually court QT to check out BHM on their website feedback venues.

Carpe

Last edited by carpe777; 02-20-2015 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: wrong signature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area