Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 10:07 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,093 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at possibly moving that way, and would probably rent in Crestwood for assorted reasons. What would be considered a reverse commute from Crestwood if I wanted to look at job opportunities outside of that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 07:28 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,680 times
I used to commute from Crestwood to the Galleria area. My route was 3rd/4th Avenue, 280, 459. I did it before and after the Galleria flyover. It really wasn't bad at all. I would zip down 280 in the morning while everyone else was at a standstill driving in. Coming home, the 459/280 interchange was a hassle. I'm not sure if they've fixed the daredevil aspect of that in the intervening years.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:18 AM

2,446 posts, read 2,230,662 times
I commute from Crestwood out to 280 every day. Traffic is rarely bad, except around the summit (and getting past 459). But I'm almost always moving. Commute time is about 20-25 minutes.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:49 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,768,572 times
I wouldn't really call going from Crestwood to Hoover or Crestwood out 280 a real reverse commute because there are pretty big employment centers in each of those areas and traffic can be pretty bad in both directions through those areas. Not as bad as coming into the city, but worse than you might think.

A real "reverse" commute from Crestwood would be if you worked north, east, or west of the city.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:58 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I'm looking at possibly moving that way, and would probably rent in Crestwood for assorted reasons. What would be considered a reverse commute from Crestwood if I wanted to look at job opportunities outside of that area?
What is the scope of "that area" that you are referring to? Traffic isn't going to be as bad going out of the core to the edges of the metro, but it isn't always going to be easy. I used to commute from Crestwood to North Shelby Co. and the roads were still very busy and subject to traffic snarls.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:07 PM

270 posts, read 531,453 times
It will be significantly better than a "normal" commute and rarely if ever involve hour long snarls that plague 65 and 280.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
What is the scope of "that area" that you are referring to? Traffic isn't going to be as bad going out of the core to the edges of the metro, but it isn't always going to be easy. I used to commute from Crestwood to North Shelby Co. and the roads were still very busy and subject to traffic snarls.
Heck if I know.

A friend who lives there has suggested I look at rentals in the 35205, 35212 and 35222 zip codes.

I don't want to be restricted to those areas, though in a job hunt should I have to look in the suburbs for work. I'm not familiar at all with the metro and won't be out to look around until next month. I just wanted an idea so I could broaden my job or rental area if need be. Most cities tend to have a reverse commute, so if you don't know where you'll be working, a good rule of thumb is to be centrally located or opposite the major traffic flow.

It would also give me an idea of areas to look for alternate non-interstate routes (assuming such exists in B'ham?).

Thanks for the info so far, I'll check the routes out folks have suggested on the map this evening. I haven't been to B'ham since high school in the 70's so I'm looking forward to seeing all the changes.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I wouldn't really call going from Crestwood to Hoover or Crestwood out 280 a real reverse commute because there are pretty big employment centers in each of those areas and traffic can be pretty bad in both directions through those areas. Not as bad as coming into the city, but worse than you might think.
Are there other major employment centers in the city? (Kinda hard to tell on Google maps, KWIM?)

Old 07-11-2016, 09:15 PM

270 posts, read 531,453 times
There are jobs in Hoover and on 280, but not as concentrated as UAB and downtown.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:56 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,571 times
An edge city is developing south of I-459 on US280. As much as there is , five major projects are just cranking up as well as the state working on that interchange. Even now though, US280 does not truly have a reverse commute, it is about the same all day long in both directions because even now there are millions of square feet of office space in Inverness and Meadow Brook. (Cahaba River Road can be used as an alternative until you get to Target, then forced back onto the highway)
I-65 has an alternate route in the form of Greensprings HWY and Columbiana Road. These take you to Hoover and the area near I-459 interchange. Riverchase has an immense amount of office space and Hoover is largest suburban concentration of business, but not quite an edge city. Trussville is also much suburban congestion. (I-59 and Gadsden HWY alternative)
Liberty Park is the other business concentration on I-459 at the Liberty Parkway exit and also accessed from Overton Road out of Mountain Brook. (this can be handy if working at LP and living in the 35205 area)
This should help orient some, but you could expect more when you know where work will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area