Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times

Advertisements

I have my house mortgage through Regions, and actually found my officer to be quite good. It was a no pain, easy process and he got back to me when I had a question.
I have my checking and savings accounts with Legacy CU and have no complaints from them (except they recently removed the ATM that was on the way from work to home). The only reason I didn't get my mortgage through them is they were just setting up that service when I was interested in doing so. CU rates tend to be better than banks.

An aside, BofA is pretty prevalent IMO. I also have a BofA leftover from Cali (they bought my smaller bank I was with in San Jose sometime in the 80's). Bham is the first place I can't use them. Pretty much the only reason I continue to have any account with them is because they are convenient with international travel. Even Wells Fargo didn't have much here until the banking crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:06 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
I have accounts (investments and such) at Regions - not by choice, just because my mother works for them. Don't disagree with anything anyone has said though. I know there is a Regions here, but I don't even know where it is. Bank of America is a big here, so we use them and the Duke Credit Union (hubs works for Duke).

I don't disagree with anything anyone has said btw.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:32 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times
Over the past year I have been in the process of moving all of my business and personal accounts out of Regions. As has been stated, they are nothing but a corporate retail bank now. They will nickle and dime you and charge you any way they can think of. I would not use any retail bank, I am moving to a credit union. The one I am now using does not charge monthly fees for any of my accounts; business or personal. I haven't been charged a single fee on any of the accounts I have moved there so far whereas with Regions it was a fee for this and that all the time.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,257 times
I have Regions and have ever since i got a checking account 30 years ago- I've not had a problem with their customer service ever- actually always very helpful to me ... I do NOT have a fee for my checking account but maybe b/c I have a minmum balance with all my accounts...

Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Astounding comments by a few and way too much info from one in particular.
Relationships with banks are best when cultivated and this is a two way street. I was with AmSouth for many year and was concerned about the merger. I was so wrong. Regions changed all my expectations of a bank. I use two branches and all the people in both know me well despite my being a bit reserved. I pay no fees ever. I have had an issue recently that was unusual and the manager told me if the bank couldn't take care of it he would pay it out of his pocket. (a third party mix-up)
I don't want to sound mean, but who judges their bank by the whether they provide bathroom service or not. Perhaps not a bank but a urologist is needed in that case. I can see this easily as a security issue.
Regions is a great bank.

raj

Old 12-24-2012, 01:21 AM

27,453 posts, read 1,054,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
I have Regions and have ever since i got a checking account 30 years ago- I've not had a problem with their customer serviceever- actually always very helpful to me ... I do NOT have a fee for my checking account but maybe b/c I have a minmum balance with all my accounts...
I had never had a problem either--until I traveled to California over the Labor Day weekend without having enough cash on hand. When I tried to use the ATM of a local Chase bank branch in San Leandro, I was refused. I had to borrow money from my father until we returned home. The built-in "protection" continued after my return to Alabama, until after I went to Regions to investigate. The local branch officer couldn't explain why (because he didn't), even though I told them about trying to use the bank card out West. It was an officer at a branch in a larger town who helped straighten things out, but even he had to contact the Birmingham office for assistance. Lesson learned.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:28 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Astounding comments by a few and way too much info from one in particular.
Relationships with banks are best when cultivated and this is a two way street. I was with AmSouth for many year and was concerned about the merger. I was so wrong. Regions changed all my expectations of a bank. I use two branches and all the people in both know me well despite my being a bit reserved. I pay no fees ever. I have had an issue recently that was unusual and the manager told me if the bank couldn't take care of it he would pay it out of his pocket. (a third party mix-up)
I don't want to sound mean, but who judges their bank by the whether they provide bathroom service or not. Perhaps not a bank but a urologist is needed in that case. I can see this easily as a security issue.
Regions is a great bank.

raj
Don't be ridiculous. If you had actually read my post, you'd learn that incident was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I did business largely with the headquarter branch, and I was astonished at how they couldn't answer the simplest questions. When I pointed out some ambiguity in the rules regarding monthly withdrawals from a money market account, not only could they not answer the question but didn't get back to me after they promised they would. I mean, three different CSRs all stood around thumbing through the manual. You'd think one of them would get back to me, a customer who always kept several hundred thousand in their bank. I finally had to call them a week later and work my way up the chain of command to get an answer. And this was the headquarters branch.

And this went on, time and again, for any transaction more complex than stamping a deposit slip. When I moved my money to First Commercial, I couldn't believe how easy my business banking became.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:24 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
I'm no big money big business guy but I have no beef with Regions. I like how their ATMs can take check deposits (well some can, and of those they can be finnicky). When my check card number was stolen and ran I walked into a branch and got it changed and the money put back in my account that same day with no hassle. When I needed to pull up a bunch of account history to track down some transactions the branch manager was patient, and helpful. Their phone ap works well. My wife and I have accounts with wells and americas first too and they have served us well but because of the experience I have with regions and the fact that they are on practically every corner here I see no reason to leave them. I have been with them since they were First Alabama.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 684 times
You have to be financially astute when deciding what banks to use. IMHO with the advent of on-line Billpay services at most major banks the prime issue is the service fees and the rates you are paid for the cash that you have in the banks as well as the rates for any loans you might make. Although, other than my mortgage which is at a very low rate, I make no loans except to take advantage of special pricing on new cars if you finance through the dealership. Once the car is in my possession I pay off those loans. Personally I shop around with those issues in mind. As a result I have my money in three different banks. One local bank which pays an extremely low rate on savings and CD's is used to pay bills and I use their Billpay services and other services like cashing local checks and providing notary services since it is convenient to do so. My retirement income is direct deposited in that account and when the balance reaches a certain threshhold over my monthly expenses it is transferred to one of the other two banks. Right now PNC pays 2.35% on high interest savings which compares to 2.2% for Synchrony so my liquid reserve goes there. However Synchrony Bank currently pays the best rate on CD's so my laddered CD's go to that bank. Previously they were at Ally Bank when they paid the most. I keep a close check on rates so if a competitor starts to greatly exceed their rate paid I will transfer my CD's and reserve to that bank. I only use a credit card for convenience and the cashback rebate and do not EVER use ATM's due to the major security issues involved and even make a practice to destroy my debit cards upon receipt. This set of procedures has maximized my return on my free cash and provides the means to pay my recurring bills with very few issues that have arisen. When they did the fact that I use a local bank for bills simplified their resolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area