Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 10:59 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I was simply pointing out the fact that your information was inaccurate.

As to the dome issue, I'll say it again: I've seen nothing yet in this thread (or elsewhere) about how this facility could be funded or sustained. I know of no way that a city the size of Birmingham, and with the limitations of Birmingham, could build something of this magnitude without state help. It's never been done before.

Although I do know the funding source and the basis for a sound fiscal operation, I have to bow to the fact that if you can't "know of no way", then of course it just can't be done. Especially given the limitations of the city and of course we all know as you stated, that if it hasn't been done before, then it can't be done.

With gratitude for your greater insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 11:12 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Although I do know the funding source and the basis for a sound fiscal operation, I have to bow to the fact that if you can't "know of no way", then of course it just can't be done. Especially given the limitations of the city and of course we all know as you stated, that if it hasn't been done before, then it can't be done.

With gratitude for your greater insight.
Then go ahead and fail ... again.

Your arrogance knows no bounds. I was simply asking a question.

The link below pretty much summarizes what I've read on the internet about the project from various sources. Has momentum or public opinion changed in the past year?

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/03/..._member_9.html

I've always liked John Archibald:

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/...alks_dome.html

Last edited by Newsboy; 06-02-2014 at 12:17 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Then go ahead and fail ... again.

Your arrogance knows no bounds. I was simply asking a question.

The link below pretty much summarizes what I've read on the internet about the project from various sources. Has momentum or public opinion changed in the past year?

Birmingham City Council members surprised by mayor's dome talk, question timing, want more details | al.com
This thread is about the current momentum and public opinion change in the past year.

In the top link you posted, you share that Steven Hoyt is the biggest and most vocal opponent. That isn't anything new. That guy is against anything happening that doesn't directly benefit his district. It was no surprise that he is pointing at the Crossplex as having not spawned an adjacent retail development because it is in his district.

The taxes and fees they implemented are still in place to fund the dome, your link made mention of that as well. They already passed the law, they need to just do what they ALREADY AGREED TO AND PASSED.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
This thread is about the current momentum and public opinion change in the past year.

In the top link you posted, you share that Steven Hoyt is the biggest and most vocal opponent. That isn't anything new. That guy is against anything happening that doesn't directly benefit his district. It was no surprise that he is pointing at the Crossplex as having not spawned an adjacent retail development because it is in his district.

The taxes and fees they implemented are still in place to fund the dome, your link made mention of that as well. They already passed the law, they need to just do what they ALREADY AGREED TO AND PASSED.

Those links were added an hour later (note the time), no doubt after angst over the tone of his post. But Tourian, like he says, "if it hasn't ever been done before, then of course it can't be done." (thank goodness Orville and Wilbur didn't know that)

raj

Old 06-02-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Those links were added an hour later (note the time), no doubt after angst over the tone of his post. But Tourian, like he says, "if it hasn't ever been done before, then of course it can't be done." (thank goodness Orville and Wilbur didn't know that)

raj
Right. Those Georgians and their cross-dimensional travels and time warps. How can anyone argue with a supreme being from the future? Instead of sniping Birmingham threads, I wish they'd just give me next week's lotto numbers intead.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:25 AM

Now that's a positive post. And more on topic than most lately.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamanian View Post
Tourian is marginally correct. Where he errored was saying that Hoyt cares about his district, he doesn't care about it either. I live in it and there is no presence of him of any kind here. He only stops new development by pretending as if he cares about his current business owners on mass media outlets. He took a stand against a Wal-Mart Neighborhood store in favor of a local grocer, but I see him at the Wal-Mart on Lakeshore late nights. For some reason my district continues to put him in office..go figure.

Voter apathy is widespread at all levels. And most confusing is that 'performance' seems to have no bearing on who gets a vote.

Paying due respect to this old thread, I will address the topic by pointing out that the BJCC expansion needs universal support by the city's elected officials, which brings up another council issue. That being that we should have members at large so 'playing to constituent games to get reelected', can stop and the council can focus on the work at hand and not an election three years away. Our system is just terrible.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:20 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times
From the Birmingham Business Journal......

Birmingham dome: Bell shares new details on project - Birmingham Business Journal

Old 06-12-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Well 55,000 seats I feel like is the bare minimum. I was hoping for 65k but with ESPN as a consultant, I'll just have faith that it will be enough.

I read another story where they are going to raise parking meter fees. They need to do everything they can so that the taxes and license fees in place go straight to the dome. And now that the economy is slowly getting back on track along with adding 5000 or so new residents over the next five years will give the city more revenue. UAB should be ready to kick in some dough, so let's get on with it.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:09 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Well 55,000 seats I feel like is the bare minimum. I was hoping for 65k but with ESPN as a consultant, I'll just have faith that it will be enough.

I read another story where they are going to raise parking meter fees. They need to do everything they can so that the taxes and license fees in place go straight to the dome. And now that the economy is slowly getting back on track along with adding 5000 or so new residents over the next five years will give the city more revenue. UAB should be ready to kick in some dough, so let's get on with it.
Its likely going to be more of a arena type deal than a "dome stadium" like the GA or LA Dome which is smart because Birmingham has only one football related major event now, The Magic City Classic. Its unlikely that Bama and Auburn would play any games here and UAB is on life support (and in need of their own stadium) so there is no real need to build a 65K seat facility.

If major conventions, basketball events, and other indoor sporting events are the goal then yes a 55k or even a 45k facility would be more than enough IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area