Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 05:01 PM

7 posts, read 12,296 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Am taking a visit down to Birmingham for the first time. I've looked through many of the postings about food, but most discuss what restaurants to go to.

I'm not as interested in that, but rather am curious if there are certain specialties known in Birmingham. Anything from a side dish to a dessert to a main course meal. I've heard white bbq sauce is a thing down there, but that's about it.

Please let me know any regional food specialties I should know about. Things that are local to Bham or AL in general would be great.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotionisrelative View Post
Hello all,

Am taking a visit down to Birmingham for the first time. I've looked through many of the postings about food, but most discuss what restaurants to go to.

I'm not as interested in that, but rather am curious if there are certain specialties known in Birmingham. Anything from a side dish to a dessert to a main course meal. I've heard white bbq sauce is a thing down there, but that's about it.

Please let me know any regional food specialties I should know about. Things that are local to Bham or AL in general would be great.

Thanks so much!
Honestly this is subject is just too broad for this venue. All you can hope to get is people telling there favorite things. You would do better search this subject online and there are books about this. Generally Birmingham is like many sister cities in that the foods we call our own are Southern first. We are a big bbq town and also a big seafood town with our proximity to the Gulf of Mexico. This providing fresh daily delivery even decades ago. Our Greek restaurants are good and provide family specialties. In fact looking up some of our award winning chefs and their restaurants will give you great insight.

I could tell you where to get the best Ruben sandwich but would that imply that we are know for that. No. I would say that you have to try things people say they love here and you will have found what we are known for. As I typed this I tried to think of a food for a few cities and couldn't . Deep dish pizza Chicago....not really, who doesn't do it. Gumbo in Nola, ours is as good or better.
We also have some really good Italian and we have the worst Mexican in the state. (wasn't always that way) A few successful cats took over up here and you have two dozen of the same two places.

Racked my brain and everything I think of can be expected in most any other southern city with the exception of some of the Greek and the local upscale places.

I will look forward to reading what appears here. You have laid down a challenge, but I don't think in America today you will find cities so isolated in a culinary sense, and there fore no one can say where anything originate.

Good luck,
raj

Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Actually, I wouldn't say a particular dish. However, I would say that the elevation of traditional Southern/Alabama dishes to haute cuisine is actually something that makes Birmingham very distinctive, so much so that our restaurants regularly appear in places such as the New York Times, et al. In that sense, places such as Highlands, Hot & Hot, Cafe Dupont and others have taken dishes such as hoppin' John and really given it an incredible new life. In fact, just last week, the Wall Street Journal had an article that discussed how hominy is now the hot new dish in chi-chi restaurants in New York. I can't help but think that chefs such as Frank Stitt and Chris Hastings had something to do with that.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
...and no, white barbecue sauce is not big down here.

But BBQ is. Full Moon, Jim n Nicks and Saw's are the names that come up the most. But there are several others.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
...and no, white barbecue sauce is not big down here.

But BBQ is. Full Moon, Jim n Nicks and Saw's are the names that come up the most. But there are several others.
Interesting how many different schools of BBQ there are. Miss Myra's has the white sauce, others have vinegar sauce (Curse you, Ollie's, for moving out to Pelham and then closing. One of the dumbest business moves ever. But there's always Carlisle's) and yet others have tomato-based sauce. Everybody has their own variation.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:05 AM

7 posts, read 12,296 times
Ah. Okay. Thanks for everyone's response. This was a good overview. If anyone has other things to add, keep 'em coming!

Old 05-17-2013, 12:52 PM

Ollie's was the best vinegar based BBQ no doubt. I understand them wanting to get out of the 'hood, but I don't think their location was curbing their clientele. Moving was definitely a disaster. Their new location was horrible and nothing else has worked their either. I have t had Myra's yet...

Old 05-17-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Ollie's was the best vinegar based BBQ no doubt. I understand them wanting to get out of the 'hood, but I don't think their location was curbing their clientele. Moving was definitely a disaster. Their new location was horrible and nothing else has worked their either. I have t had Myra's yet...
Well, their location near UAB was just about perfect. One of the brothers ramrodded through the move because he thought they'd reach a higher dollar customer. The problems were manifold:

1) A good 300 feet off Highway 31
2) Removal from their established customer base
3) Transition to a fast-food format and away from table service. Those ladies at Ollie's had memories so good, they should have counted cards at Vegas blackjack tables. They'd remember your name, remember your order, remember everything flawlessly.
4) Too many lunchtime establishments already in Pelham serving not enough workers. Let's see, established location to roughly 100,000 workers at lunchtime versus maybe 5,000. Yeah. Smart move there.

So I wonder if the brother who pushed for the move gets invited to the family get-togethers at Thanksgiving. Because if I were one of the other brothers, I'm not sure I could, to this day, look across the turkey and fixings without wanting to catapult a spoonful of mashed potatoes at the guy.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:32 PM

Man you're all over it.

My folks would take me there as a kid and they always seemed to know him and what he'd order.

I don't get why any one would build a restaurant that far back off the highway.

The tide has turned a bit and the place to be is downtown so it's really sad how Ollie's ended up.

Damn I m hungry.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Miv

156 posts, read 351,059 times
Eat @ Fife's for real southern cooking.

Best ox tails: Leonard's
Best liver : Nelson's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area