Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times

Advertisements

Already in just a few days of the announcement current and future businesses are crediting Cahaba Center with their decision to locate nearby.
It appears that the Colonnade may really benefit. They have the space to add a lot of new space and could easily serve as a support center to the Summit, just as Patton Creek does for the Galleria.

I would not be surprise if Trinity was a major selling point to Nordstrom Rack's new location. And of course Pappadeaux's announcement in the news today. Boy, were those people ever patient.

It is going to be interesting to watch it unfold. And thankfully, a really capable company , Daniel Construction, is overseeing it all.

raj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
I suspect that you may be correct. But it will be all for nought if the ALDOT doesn't get the entire 280 thing under control. I don't want to be all Yogi Berra and say, "It's gotten so crowded the nobody goes there any more," but at the same time, I would be concerned that the corridor is reaching the limits of growth due to heavy traffic.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
I'm trying to imagine a booming Collonnade along with a booming summit with a hospital tossed in the middle.

Should be mass chaos but it'll mean perhaps the best collection of restaurants and shopping in the entire metro.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:05 AM

If the developers of the Colonnade and the adjacent office buildings were smart, they'd develop some kind of sheltered pedestrian walkway or mall, making it easier to stroll between the former BellSouth buildings, the Colonnade, Perimeter Park, and even Grandview and the hospital. That would make an incredibly easy sale for the cluster of medical offices that will want to locate within close proximity of Trinity, one that will yield higher dollar amount for the square footage. Otherwise, you'll face the dilemma of having to leave the doctor's office, get in the car, leave the parking lot, drive 200 yards on 280, enter the hospital parking lot, find a space in the parking deck, etc. etc. You get the picture.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 AM

522 posts, read 846,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If the developers of the Colonnade and the adjacent office buildings were smart, they'd develop some kind of sheltered pedestrian walkway or mall, making it easier to stroll between the former BellSouth buildings, the Colonnade, Perimeter Park, and even Grandview and the hospital. That would make an incredibly easy sale for the cluster of medical offices that will want to locate within close proximity of Trinity, one that will yield higher dollar amount for the square footage. Otherwise, you'll face the dilemma of having to leave the doctor's office, get in the car, leave the parking lot, drive 200 yards on 280, enter the hospital parking lot, find a space in the parking deck, etc. etc. You get the picture.
I think Bayer(the owners of The Summit), now owns or going to own The Colonnade to make it walkable, and more accessible to nearby offices.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens down there.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM

522 posts, read 846,647 times
Default Birmingham moves up nearly 30 spots on economic index

From bbj.com

Suddenly,the Birmingham area's economic health seems to be headed in a positive direction.

The Magic City jumped 27 spots on the On Numbers Economic Indexfor the month of May,based on data compiled by our parent company American City Business Journals. Birmingham is ranked No. 49 out of 102 major metropolitan areas,after ranking No. 76 in April.

The On Numbers indexis formulated from an 18-part measurement system which includes factors such as private-sector job growth,unemployment, construction and retail activity and earnings.

Birmingham has now made up almost all the ground it had lost in economic vitality so far in 2013. Previous to the May ranking,Birmingham's spot on the list had been slipping steadily.

No. 48 in January

No. 56 in February

No. 64 in March

No. 76 in April

Unemployment in Birmingham is currently at 5.2 percent,down from 6 percent in April,as we previously reported. Construction job growth has been a bright spot in Birmingham recently,even if it hasn't been good for the state of Alabama as a whole.

Birmingham ranked ahead of other Southeastern metros Charlotte (No. 67), Atlanta (No. 82) and Memphis (No. 95), but behind Charleston (No. 43) and Nashville (No. 19.)

Old 05-23-2013, 01:50 PM

Seems like a big jump and something to be pleased about but I wonder if that list is always that volatile or if Birmingham has improved its outlook that drastically in just a few weeks.

Last edited by Tourian; 05-23-2013 at 02:00 PM..

Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Seems like a big jump and something to be pleased about but I wonder if that list is always that volatile or if Birmingham has improved its outlook that drastically in just a few months.
Well, it tells me that the numbers in the middle of the pack are not very separated from a statistical standpoint. And, I don't know what the methodology of the rankings are anyway.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:39 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
I think Bayer(the owners of The Summit), now owns or going to own The Colonnade to make it walkable, and more accessible to nearby offices.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens down there.
They should do that to the Summit first...

Old 05-23-2013, 03:47 PM

I believe the last phase of the Summit called for a luxury hotel and maybe an office tower but I do not think there's any more room. As far as making it walkable it almost seems too late. Colonnade seems like they can and will have to do more like cpg says since it will at least be adjacent to the hospital. I'm not sure what the occupancy rate of those office buildings already at colonnade are now but they are about to be jam packed and none of those people will want to get in their car just to drive 100 yards even on hot days just so they can eat and not have to lose a good spot in the upcoming new deck or wherever.

I'm happy for the city and although this does seem like a huge win compared to losing the hospital to Irondale I feel like its more of a push since Montclair will lose out. It's hard to find anything to fill in for such a big specialized building like a hospital. Or a big pile of bricks like Century Plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area