Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:52 PM

13 posts, read 75,905 times

Advertisements

...and I would appreciate opinions. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 04:35 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Sorry. I came to this post after reading your other one.

We have lots of friends who live in the various Greystone neighborhood and really love it. Greystone is gated community heaven with lots of amenities.

To me, the question becomes, what do you enjoy doing most in your free time and how far away is your job? If your office is going to be near Greystone, perfect. If it's close to downtown, then I would decline to live out there because of the two hours daily I'd spent commuting. Although the highway department is working to alleviate congestion on 280 by eliminating traffic lights and eliminating some intersections altogether, it is still going to be an issue getting home at night. And there really is no alternative route.

The other thing to consider is city amenities. If, for example, you like a lot of live shows, music, theater, dance, etc., or fine dining, you might find yourself a bit removed from some really good offerings closer in. While the situation has improved out that way, the restaurants are mostly chains or a notch below what you'd find on Southside. Not wanting to harsh on that part of town, but it is pretty much that way.

Mind you, I'm kind of a city kind of guy. My wife and I like to take in shows and visit museums and grab a bite at Chez Fon Fon or some such thing. So when our last child graduates from our very good school system, we'll be hammering a For Sale sign in the front yard and heading right back down to Forest Park. For others, that's not their cup of tea. One way of life is not better than the other. It's just what people prefer.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:21 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
My folks live there and it's pretty much the way cpg described. You will either love it, or hate it. Personally, I find it to be a bit bland. I don't hate it by any means. Crest is basically one long street and kind of upscale - the homes are more custom, so in that respect it is a total plus. I think you'll be able to meet your neighbors better. My folks live on a street that has like 10 homes - I think, most are hidden. Crest is right in the middle of the development.

Last edited by pennquaker09; 06-22-2013 at 02:30 AM..

Old 07-04-2013, 09:17 PM

13 posts, read 75,905 times
Thank you for your replies.

As I stated in my other thread, I am a stay at home mother of 5 who will be homeschooling, so the travel isn't a bother for me.

I appreciate any other input you may have...pros and cons of GC.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:10 PM

4 posts, read 4,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passing Through View Post
Thank you for your replies.

As I stated in my other thread, I am a stay at home mother of 5 who will be homeschooling, so the travel isn't a bother for me.

I appreciate any other input you may have...pros and cons of GC.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you end up moving to Greystone Crest? We're considering building there and we were wondering if there were any families with young kids.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:02 PM

666 posts, read 515,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmb87 View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you end up moving to Greystone Crest? We're considering building there and we were wondering if there were any families with young kids.
I have family who lives in the area.. There are no families in Greystone Crest that I know of. Very few, but very large homes. The regular Greystone area has a healthy number of families living there. However, over the past 5-8 years, it seems many of the young families have moved closer in to Homewood or closer that direction.

280 never really developed the way they wanted it to - leaving it kinda boring for young people in my and others' opinion. The friends I had who bought there always ended up making the long drive up 280 to do things.

There are some new grocery stores but that's about it. But it's a very nice, quiet, and safe community and there are plenty of young families! It's just not "a lot" of young families but plenty to find friends and have a great time.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:35 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,026,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
I have family who lives in the area.. There are no families in Greystone Crest that I know of. Very few, but very large homes. The regular Greystone area has a healthy number of families living there. However, over the past 5-8 years, it seems many of the young families have moved closer in to Homewood or closer that direction.

280 never really developed the way they wanted it to - leaving it kinda boring for young people in my and others' opinion. The friends I had who bought there always ended up making the long drive up 280 to do things.

There are some new grocery stores but that's about it. But it's a very nice, quiet, and safe community and there are plenty of young families! It's just not "a lot" of young families but plenty to find friends and have a great time.

We have a lot of friends in the Greystone area. Interestingly, several of them are beginning to move into town to be nearer cultural amenities and restaurants. Truthfully, while the homes are nice and the neighborhoods are quiet, it would take a gun to my head to move out there. Even then, I'd make a break for it at Cahaba Heights. I just like non-chain restaurants and things to do too much. I also would hate driving down 280 every single time I needed anything at all.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:41 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,224 times
unfortunately, 280 became too many different roads to too many people. for some (most?) it's a commuter highway to get into town. but thanks to all the suburban development that occurred along it, you get lots of stoplights, stop-and-go traffic, etc. doesn't help that there aren't many alternative routes for points along it.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:52 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,026,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
unfortunately, 280 became too many different roads to too many people. for some (most?) it's a commuter highway to get into town. but thanks to all the suburban development that occurred along it, you get lots of stoplights, stop-and-go traffic, etc. doesn't help that there aren't many alternative routes for points along it.

Yep. I personally wouldn't live outside of 459 for that very reason.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:34 PM

841 posts, read 824,408 times
Sure is purty up there, doe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area