Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 PM

302 posts, read 335,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
True;
Also, having just come back from a weekend away, I can write from fresh impressions that I seem to always come back to Birmingham and feel even better about who we are and where we seem to be going. (sure there are a lot of rotten people and 'stuff' , but that is part of getting bigger)

I read a lot of these kinds of predictable threads that attempt to compare cities . If one has traveled much one understands how very American that is. In the rest of the world, cities of vastly different populations and demographics are considered equals in that only mindless followers are looking for the same things and experiences. What make these cities so appealing is that they are not alike in almost all ways. (the three cities mentioned in the thread have so much in common that what does make them different is usually only apparent to locals and those who have been around during the changes) I miss a lot about what some cities use to be. Atlanta was so nice about fifteen years ago for me. Now it is just chaos, a city that did not have the geography and street pattern to end up as it has.

Austin was chosen in this thread; I like Austin a lot but would not accept big bucks to live there. I can't tell you exactly why, just Chemistry. I like the donut in Nashville but not the hole. I would much rather be in Louisville than Indianapolis. Give me Little Rock any day over Memphis.

I believe people are as unpredictable as I am. American cities went through a horrible period in the seventies of making 'malls' out of downtown streets. Still a big deal in some California areas. It failed and caused a lot of terrible destruction to nice historical buildings. John Portman did this with his Peachtree Center. He did not close the street but he did turn his back on it and turned all his buildings inward. The opposite of street friendly design that we now embrace.

It took many generations for Birmingham and other cities to become what they are and it will take many generations for them to become almost unrecognizable. The growth and popularity of cities ebbs and flows, one can't say that Birmingham won't surpass many of the cities that have surpassed us in the past twenty years. Charlotte and Nashville were very provincial, it was special leadership that changed their destinies, along with technological changes in the American economic fabric. We are not lost. In fact, by being measured and paced we will not make many of the mistakes that so many cities have made.

Unfortunately, in the south, cities were so hungry for prosperity that they allowed anything to be done. Freeways cutting through the best areas and endless and repetitious retail. Poor or no zoning.

I see Birmingham as fortunate and it has such a great foundation to work with. The natural beauty, the very large grid system downtown, a central location in the mid-south. I only wonder why people are in such a hurry. It's fun to watch it happen. How can we say nothing is happening here if we keep up to date on current events. Maybe we are reading different versions of the Business Journal and others.

Sorry for the rant,
raj
All well said. Especially the bold.

Side note. I might owe you an apology concerning our previous chat re: 20/59. ALDOT's initial plan called for the complete removal of 9th Avenue. The latest iteration of their plan only has the southern portion (basically an access alley) removed. However, some businesses are still under the impression that it will be completely consumed. In short, there is confusion. Not sure where ALDOT stands but if 9th remains, expect an apology. Second side note: If interested, FOX 6 covered the latest Rethink 20/59 meeting.

Rethink 20/59 calls for changes to ALDOT project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 PM

302 posts, read 335,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Call me impatient, but I cant wait 40 years.
Hilarious. Basically, the museum would double in size (giving them more room to display their collections... the current backlog is massive). Without going into too much detail, it would become more of a community gathering point instead of acting as a well designed warehouse that turns away from the street.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardamnbham View Post
Hilarious. Basically, the museum would double in size (giving them more room to display their collections... the current backlog is massive). Without going into too much detail, it would become more of a community gathering point instead of acting as a well designed warehouse that turns away from the street.

I loved the museum, but after years of traveling I became so disenchanted that it is located as it is. Its location is so lacking in the dramatic and pedestrian oriented environment. (see Hunter Museum, Chattanooga)

Of course it was under planning in the fifties so who knew that we could dream bigger. (at least some people are beginning to get the gist of that) The last expansion with the raised outdoor gallery is really nice and was designed by the architect that did the new Dallas Museum of Art , so we were nudged in a new and hopeful direction. Just not having the horrible Boutwell hunkering over the museum would help, but is definitely in an unfortunate place. A place suitable for all the government and civil service jobs, but a place one just would never take a stroll through.

Btw; if you missed my thread on the new visual arts institute at UAB, it is designed by the architect of the Hunter in Chattanooga.

raj

Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardamnbham View Post
All well said. Especially the bold.

Side note. I might owe you an apology concerning our previous chat re: 20/59. ALDOT's initial plan called for the complete removal of 9th Avenue. The latest iteration of their plan only has the southern portion (basically an access alley) removed. However, some businesses are still under the impression that it will be completely consumed. In short, there is confusion. Not sure where ALDOT stands but if 9th remains, expect an apology. Second side note: If interested, FOX 6 covered the latest Rethink 20/59 meeting.

Rethink 20/59 calls for changes to ALDOT project

I am overwhelmed by your kindness. I know there is a lot of confusion going on about this roadway. There is a lot of confusion at Chic fil a. (is that how they spell it) People don't like change, even when they need it and ask for it.

What bothers me is that there is a ring leader element that is always in the background spreading disinformation on purpose because they know that the average Joe Schmo is not going to do the math.

I, like you, want the best possible outcome. But there is a major element of this that would like to simply tear the road down and not replace it which would destroy the central city. We live in strange times. Do your own thinking. (don't even listen to me. lol)

I think one problem is that people don't understand how much more space the present roadway takes up due to the ramps and 'four across support pylons'. When you support five lanes with one large pylon and place parks under it instead of unneeded parking you have a much brighter more open environment. I have seen the structures they have built in Texas and know what the difference is. But ,as before, I really don't want to get into that.

I just wanted to thank you and tell you what a rare treat it is have someone so civil on the forum. We certainly don't have to agree all the time but it is a pleasure to know from our posts that our civic interests are urging us in the same direction.

Best wishes,
raj

Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,757 times
Do you guys and ladies think that pro sports would raise the cool/hip profile of the metro area. These kind of events do bring people downtown.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
It depends on what your idea of what is hip or cool. People seem to give Austin a lot of juice for being a happening place and they don't have any pro teams.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It depends on what your idea of what is hip or cool. People seem to give Austin a lot of juice for being a happening place and they don't have any pro teams.
Because the sports scene there is dominated by the Univ of Texas and San Antonio, a pro sports town, is 80 miles away.

I enjoy an NFL, NBA game just as much as seeing a broadway show.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Well people always say the sports scene here is dominated by Alabama and Auburn. I just used them as a one example. Besides Austin I think Charleston, Savannah, all Louisville and have a better vibe and hipper scene then Birmingham does without a pro team.

I also think there are plenty of cities with pro teams that had a indie music scene or artsy type vibe that grew independently of a pro team.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:55 PM

I think Birmingham is capable of being a major sports town and a major cultural center in the region. I use Atlanta is a great example.

This is off topic but I hate when people say Birmingham is just an Bama or Auburn market when neither school is in the metro area. Its like we are not capable enough to follow/enjoy any other kind of sports.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 PM

I hate that too but until something changes that go to canned response is as good as a reason as any. There are enough examples of markets the same size or smaller then Birmingham that field pro teams. We never seemed to have a problem supporting the pro football teams that came and went over the years. But apparently the USFL is trying to come back and although they will have an Alabama team, it won't be in Birmingham because they only want to share a 30k or so seat stadium with a collegiate team. My guess is mobile but who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area