Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 03:11 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times

Advertisements

DUH.............Mountain Brook and Homewood and Vestavia Hills have lower crime because they have Police depts. that are focused on and answerable to the communities in close and direct ways. Response time in Mountain Brook is incredible. They want it and they pay for it. And yes, the occasional house beak in occurs; they are always caught and in practically no time.

The communities in the metro that are struggling financially must have reasons to continue the depts. and I suspect the citizens expect it.

In Jeffco, I would think eventually, that about six to eight communities would merge into Birmingham and save their citizens the money. However these type communities have people that love to be called Mister Mayor.

raj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 03:16 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I wonder if getting rid of Fire departments would cut down on arson, accidental house fires and such...

Speaking of mergers the merger of Brighton into Birmingham was actually on the table a couple of years ago. I'm wondering if they voted it down or if the paperwork is still on the table or what?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I wonder if getting rid of Fire departments would cut down on arson, accidental house fires and such...

Speaking of mergers the merger of Brighton into Birmingham was actually on the table a couple of years ago. I'm wondering if they voted it down or if the paperwork is still on the table or what?
Unless I am fantasizing again, didn't Roosevelt City, in that same area, annex into Birmingham about ten years ago?

This could be a very productive move for many of the former industrial suburbs. On the other hand, It would tax the Birmingham Fire and Police and those communities bring in very little tax, so I am doubting the city will consider all or any of them without some extenuating circumstance. Like land that could be developed for distribution . (with jobs>>>>>>>>>>>>)

raj

Old 02-04-2014, 03:51 PM

I don't remember. I understand what you are saying about tax revenue but some of those "cities" are so small and they are so landlocked and contiguous with Birmingham it seems like it wouldn't take much more to absorb them Into existing infrastructure.

Maybe there is a net loss for Birmingham because a place like Brighton brings nothing to the table but another bill and they are waiting until places like fairfield and midfield start begging so the entire region can be taken at once and the assets they have as a region can be absorbed together to outweigh the extension of services.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Mountain Brook definitely. Mainly because the guy across the street from me seems to be unfamiliar with how a lawnmower works.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:08 PM

946 posts, read 775,777 times
All I can say is wow! I didn't realize my post would get so much response. So I will clear up my original post.

I personally haven't gotten pulled over lately. And I wasn't talking about downtown Birmingham or even Jefferson County. I was talking about Shelby County and more specifically Hoover.

I have heard from others that Hoover has jurisdiction over every city in this area (even Jefferson County cities) In other words, they can be driving to work from Calera or Gardendale and they have some type of scanner on the front of their SUV that is automatically running your plates and everything about you, even though you are just minding your own business going to work at 8AM. All you have to do is pull up beside the Hoover SUV, and you can see this in action. They are glued to their laptop computer. Never mind that a car just ran a redlight, the policeman is to busy doing research on his/her computer. Observing thousands of cars driving and looking out for safety issues that are happeing right in front of them no longer matter. And we, as motorists, aren't supposed to text and drive?????

This in my opinion is going to far. I havent gotten pulled over lately. But if the cop pulls up my driving history when he gets behind me, I might as well pull over on the spot. Because I have heard of people getting pulled over for minor issues that aren't any issue at all, suched as tinted windows that aren't to tinted, and then the police jump on to something else from the driver's history.

Last edited by Blazin65; 02-04-2014 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I don't remember. I understand what you are saying about tax revenue but some of those "cities" are so small and they are so landlocked and contiguous with Birmingham it seems like it wouldn't take much more to absorb them Into existing infrastructure.

Maybe there is a net loss for Birmingham because a place like Brighton brings nothing to the table but another bill and they are waiting until places like fairfield and midfield start begging so the entire region can be taken at once and the assets they have as a region can be absorbed together to outweigh the extension of services.

It would be a good thing. Like the ONE GREAT CITY move in the early twentieth century (1919?) that brought in Ensley, West End, Elyton and others.

It would be a fair trade as far as the economics. The city desperately needs to address the current council by district elections before such a move. It is perhaps one of the five things most hurting Birmingham. It is a microcosm of all the suburbs around the city that do not cooperate. Then you have the city with even more neighborhoods with a council person that wants to continue to be elected therefore they feel compelled to never support anything outside their district. What a town.

HOBBLED

RAJ

Old 02-04-2014, 04:24 PM

To blazin:
The Hoover ICE guys rule 459 and their section of 65. They are looking for drug traffickers. Now maybe they do it for every passing motorist but that's just how it is. You just don't mess around in Hoover. A friend of mine from North Carolina that lives here now would always comment on the impressive amount of coverage Hoover has. It just is what It is. Clean up your record. Keep your tags up to date and don't drive around with bricks of cocaine hidden in your car and you're good.

I do not think Hoover has jurisdiction outside of Hoover. However a Birmingham cop does. Any cop from a city that is the seat of its county can run you down to the state line...or so I've heard.

To raj:
Yeah, every time I read about that Greater Birmingham movement that occurred in the early 1900s I laugh knowing how so much has changed that it wouldn't go down that way today.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
All I can say is wow! I didn't realize my post would get so much response. So I will clear up my original post.

I personally haven't gotten pulled over lately. And I wasn't talking about downtown Birmingham or even Jefferson County. I was talking about Shelby County and more specifically Hoover.

I have heard from others that Hoover has jurisdiction over every city in this area (even Jefferson County cities) In other words, they can be driving to work from Calera or Gardendale and they have some type of scanner on the front of their SUV that is automatically running your plates and everything about you, even though you are just minding your own business going to work at 8AM. All you have to do is pull up beside the Hoover SUV, and you can see this in action. They are glued to their laptop computer. Never mind that a car just ran a redlight, the policeman is to busy doing research on his/her computer. Observing thousands of cars driving and looking out for safety issues that are happeing right in front of them no longer matter. And we, as motorists, aren't supposed to text and drive?????

This in my opinion is going to far. I havent gotten pulled over lately. But if the cop pulls up my driving history when he gets behind me, I might as well pull over on the spot. Because I have heard of people getting pulled over for minor issues that aren't any issue at all, suched as tinted windows that aren't to tinted, and then the police jump on to something else from the driver's history.

What you have just written is just not the case, so share that with whomever told you. I assure you that would not go over well with the taxpayers of Hoover. The part in Shelby and the greater part in Jefferson. They have enough going on in Hoover without the citizens supporting the policing of seven surrounding counties.

I think the average person on this thread probably wonders if you understand that your fear of a police car behind you sends a strange message. The average Joe owns or is buying his car, has a license, is insured, is not an escaped felon, doesn't have bodies in the back stow.

Relax, or straighten out what is not legal in your life so that you can relax.

Tinted windows are a legal issue and are one of the first things that grabs attention because it makes it possible to hide things for the police and unsuspecting citizens that can be harmed by what is behind those tints. If they are close to the limit , you chose the attention. Loud muffler, same. Loud music, same. High bright blue xenons, same.

Living on the edge can feel like living on the run. I don't want the hassle, but I wouldn't choose to do those things anyway. My factory set xenons are blue enough for me.

raj

Old 02-04-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:

To raj:
Yeah, every time I read about that Greater Birmingham movement that occurred in the early 1900s I laugh knowing how so much has changed that it wouldn't go down that way today.

Yeah; the state legislature did that for Birmingham. Hard to believe.

I'm with Jeffrey Bayer, I wish they would meld Birmingham into all of Jefferson County that is not incorporated.

That is what would work the best at this point in history and the savings would surely lure other incorporated areas in as time passes.

raj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area