Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:15 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I likely know more about Birmingham than all of you. I am 62 years old and am not some twink like some of you are. Believe me, Birmingham is nothing much to be proud of. And to someone who thought I live in Atlanta, I don't, but would like too.

You are what you are, why try to force it on others. Volunteer or something. (no, don't do that either)

I know; spend all your time on YELP doing reviews. (well, I suppose you are doing that already)

raj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:24 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
You are what you are, why try to force it on others. Volunteer or something. (no, don't do that either)

I know; spend all your time on YELP doing reviews. (well, I suppose you are doing that already)

raj
Look Girl, you are probably the most prolific "troller" on C-D. You do not know a thing about me, nor do I about you, quit trying to make Birmingham something it is not and never will be. Same with Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh and New Orleans posters.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:25 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times
Quote:
I likely know more about Birmingham than all of you. I am 62 years old and am not some twink like some of you are. Believe me, Birmingham is nothing much to be proud of. And to someone who thought I live in Atlanta, I don't, but would like too.
Well I dont think the twink label applies to anyone here, since none of us are 18-21 yr old gay white males. So
explain to us or to me why Birmingham is "nothing much to be proud of", and why you think you know so much more about Birmingham than those who us who actually live in the area?

Old 10-16-2013, 01:28 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Well I dont think the twink label applies to anyone here, since none of us are 18-21 yr old gay white males.
Heh, beat me to it.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Well I dont think the twink label applies to anyone here, since none of us are 18-21 yr old gay white males, So
explain to us or to me why Birmingham is "nothing much to be proud of", and why you think you know so much more about Birmingham than those who us who actually live in the area?
All I have to do is start with the infamous Bull Connor, George Wallace, the list goes on and on. Birmingham is somewhat of an American misfit, never could, and never will live up to what it could have been due to backward thinking.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:42 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,733 times
This attitude and narcissistic belligerence is quite similar to the mental affects of untreated syphilis.

raj

Old 10-16-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
This attitude and narcissistic belligerence is quite similar to the mental affects of untreated syphilis.

raj
You can include Gonorrhea as well...

Old 10-16-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
All I have to do is start with the infamous Bull Connor, George Wallace, the list goes on and on. Birmingham is somewhat of an American misfit, never could, and never will live up to what it could have been due to backward thinking.
While there is some true in your statement lets not act like every Southern city and state didnt have its idiots during the civil rights era. Atlanta and Georgia had Lester Maddox, North Carolina had Jesse Helms, South Carolina had Strom Thurmond, etc, etc, etc. The good news is that these folks are dead, so are Bull Connor and George Wallace.

I was born in 1980, well after the civil rights era in this city. So how long should people like you continue to hold these dead people and their misdeeds over my and other people my age and younger heads. If that is the reason you dislike Birmingham then you need to get your head out of the black and white images of the pre civil rights era and get a clue of what is going on in Birmingham today.

Those who dont look forward, will get left behind.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
While there is some true in your statement lets not act like every Southern city and state didnt have its idiots during the civil rights era. Atlanta and Georgia had Lester Maddox, North Carolina had Jesse Helms, South Carolina had Strom Thurmond, etc, etc, etc. The good news is that these folks are dead, so are Bull Connor and George Wallace.

I was born in 1980, well after the civil rights era in this city. So how long should people like you continue to hold these dead people and their misdeeds over my and other people my age and younger heads. If that is the reason you dislike Birmingham then you need to get your head out of the black and white images of the pre civil rights era and get a clue of what is going on in Birmingham today.

Those who dont look forward, will get left behind.

I NEVER said I disliked Birmingham, it is what it is. I mean it does not even have an International flight, so how will it ever compete with other cities? I mean you guys get all excited about a proposed 15 story apartment building, it rather sad in my opinion. It is great to have homer-ism, but to its limits. It is very sad about the skyline, due to the proximity to a not very busy airport.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I NEVER said I disliked Birmingham, it is what it is. I mean it does not even have an International flight, so how will it ever compete with other cities? I mean you guys get all excited about a proposed 15 story apartment building, it rather sad in my opinion. It is great to have homer-ism, but to its limits. It is very sad about the skyline, due to the proximity to a not very busy airport.
Birmingham would have international flights and a real international airport if there was a market demand for it, but there is very little demand for it. Simple economics. There was a proposal to build an international airport in the 1990's as a reliever for Hartsfield-Jackson International.

Alabama International Airport Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also it wouldnt make sense to compete with the only other city the region that has international flights. That battle has been fought and Birmingham lost. Most people will drive two hrs to Atlanta for international flights. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area