Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:56 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,146,069 times

Advertisements

So jokes about Alabama being stuck in the past led you to believe that modern architecture and infrastructure does not exist in the state?

Old 02-01-2014, 03:42 PM

117 posts, read 110,588 times
yes i expected it to be kind of rundown and lacking in stuff that other places have.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:45 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,588 times
It's good we don't all wanna live in the same place, otherwise the world would tip over.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:01 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,084,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggshall View Post
yes i expected it to be kind of rundown and lacking in stuff that other places have.

That seems like a by-product of poor education. There are many places that I have never been but I know as much about them as many locals.

I certainly would not spend a lot of money traveling without knowing what purpose it serves to go to a certain place.

Most people from the north have expressed to me their biggest surprise is that Birmingham is not flat. Yet on my first trips to the north I already knew the areas that would be flat as opposed to those with rolling terrain.

I just don't understand how we can live in America and believe that any city with over a million people could be so different from the rest of the American cities when it comes to infrastructures and the man made environment. We are all driven by the same culture and marketing. We are all targeted by the same companies.

It seems incumbent upon us all to be self educated about these things in life.

For instance; I know that New Mexico is one of the poorest states in the country, but due to my own desire to know and through experience, I also know that it has some of the wealthiest residents in the nation. There is no excuse to be CLUELESS. I don't have to go to their homes to know they are there.

Hopefully, you will take your experience as an incentive to learn about places you might travel. It could make all the difference in your personal experience and even benefit you in unexpected ways.

raj

Old 02-01-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
It's good we don't all wanna live in the same place, otherwise the world would tip over.

I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS........

raj

Old 02-01-2014, 09:01 PM

134 posts, read 185,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
That seems like a by-product of poor education. There are many places that I have never been but I know as much about them as many locals.

I certainly would not spend a lot of money traveling without knowing what purpose it serves to go to a certain place.

Most people from the north have expressed to me their biggest surprise is that Birmingham is not flat. Yet on my first trips to the north I already knew the areas that would be flat as opposed to those with rolling terrain.

I just don't understand how we can live in America and believe that any city with over a million people could be so different from the rest of the American cities when it comes to infrastructures and the man made environment. We are all driven by the same culture and marketing. We are all targeted by the same companies.

For instance; I know that New Mexico is one of the poorest states in the country, but due to my own desire to know and through experience, I also know that it has some of the wealthiest residents in the nation. There is no excuse to be CLUELESS. I don't have to go to their homes to know they are there.

Hopefully, you will take your experience as an incentive to learn about places you might travel. It could make all the difference in your personal experience and even benefit you in unexpected ways.

raj
I live in Atlanta but grew up in Pennsylvania. The ignorance of some people in PA about the South is amazing. People with college degrees who actually thought that everyone in the South drives a beat up pickup truck and smokes. I had one guy tell me he didn't think that high speed internet would be available in Atlanta in 2005!

Old 02-01-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
I live in Atlanta but grew up in Pennsylvania. The ignorance of some people in PA about the South is amazing. People with college degrees who actually thought that everyone in the South drives a beat up pickup truck and smokes. I had one guy tell me he didn't think that high speed internet would be available in Atlanta in 2005!

lol

My experience is that northerners really don't know too much about the south. (not to suggest that southerners know much about the north)

I suppose they think the whole south is flat because cotton was growing in the streets and everywhere else. We have no winter at all. (wow this week might have dispelled that somewhat)

I'm just not sure why stereotypes thrive in the twenty-first century. We all see and hear the same media. The same companies seek our patronage. How could we not be more alike.

It might be a hold over from a time in the Nineteenth and early Twentieth Centuries when times were harder and people felt better about themselves by thinking lower of others. (that is fairly age old and it is VERY prevalent on these forums)

raj

Old 02-01-2014, 11:18 PM

117 posts, read 110,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post

raj
I went to Birmingham to visit the Optometry School at UAB. I wasn't particularly interested in is Birmingham flat or not or does it have newer stuff, etc. I would be going to UAB or another optometry school in Memphis given only those 2 offered in state tuition for my state. I obviously did know my my purpose to go to Birmingham. lol You talk about education but you appear to be making a lot of presumptions about me.

Get off the soapbox dude. You are like Dr. Phil or something. If you want to talk to your kids like this that is cool but I am a grown man.

I basically said I thought B'ham is a nice town with a lot of new stuff and somehow this seems to have offended people. It was a compliment. My impression was Birmingham had kind of stagnated after the steel industry died and it was similar to towns in the midwest that are losing people. I never had any reason to research the town and I would have moved there regardless of the condition of the city if I went through with the optometry school thing but I went in another direction.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:08 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
And you seem to have made a number of presumptions about Alabama.

It's OK. We're used to it. Bless your heart. Glad you came for a visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area