Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 12:45 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,377 times

Advertisements

Definitely a more unified Birmingham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 06:40 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Uh oh, now you did it...

a million troll alarms just went off because you said something about an NFL team in Birmingham. I can hear them coming now...
But he has a point. I love college football, but its talked about way too much in the media. A pro franchise would be at least something else to talk about. Also this isnt Birmingham in 1970, 1980. Alot of people here like the NFL and the NBA so a franchise wouldnt be an automatic failure as some would think.

Real: adding lanes to relieve congestion on I-65 University Blvd to US 31 in Hoover.

Unreal: Tolled HOV lanes, otherwise known as luxury lanes.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:12 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Both HOV and tolled? Or have one or the other? I've heard of each of those on an individual basis, but I don't see the rationale for one lane having both qualities.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
But he has a point. I love college football, but its talked about way too much in the media. A pro franchise would be at least something else to talk about. Also this isnt Birmingham in 1970, 1980. Alot of people here like the NFL and the NBA so a franchise wouldnt be an automatic failure as some would think.

Real: adding lanes to relieve congestion on I-65 University Blvd to US 31 in Hoover.

I do not think they would be an automatic failure I just dont think we are quite ready for NFL. He did change to say he meant NBA and I think we could make manage that. But this is a dream thread so NFL it up.

I do hope plans for the mixed used facility are announced soon. I think it should be made so basketball can be played there.

we need to make it so all high school state championshiop and ncaa division two finals want to come here for either the crossplex or for football or basketball. And then take the SEC baseball tourney away from Hoover...

Old 10-09-2013, 09:38 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Harry, you remember that post! I think that's an agenda we can all get behind.
How could I not remember? Your posts in that thread were positively inspired. The socials mentioned there stand in stark contrast to a church up here which apparently just gave people a dose of food poisoning on "bean day." If only they would learn to stick to pecan pie and not try to outdoo-doo "Blazing Saddles" everyone would be happy.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Both HOV and tolled? Or have one or the other? I've heard of each of those on an individual basis, but I don't see the rationale for one lane having both qualities.
I was think about something along the lines of something like this.

I-85 Express Lanes | Programs & Projects | State Road and Tollway Authority

I would be fine with either.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I do not think they would be an automatic failure I just dont think we are quite ready for NFL. He did change to say he meant NBA and I think we could make manage that. But this is a dream thread so NFL it up.

I do hope plans for the mixed used facility are announced soon. I think it should be made so basketball can be played there.

we need to make it so all high school state championshiop and ncaa division two finals want to come here for either the crossplex or for football or basketball. And then take the SEC baseball tourney away from Hoover...
While Birmingham may not be an NFL type city yet. I was just making the point that Birmingham is more than a college football town as some would claim. Has there been any update on the BJCC expansion? I think if it does get built they should try to lure in the SEC BBall tourney and the NCAA Final Four. Maybe even bring the SEC football title game back. I find it quite odd that while the SEC HQ is here in the city, the two big title games are elsewhere.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:08 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,167,836 times
Quote:
While Birmingham may not be an NFL type city yet. I was just making the point that Birmingham is more than a college football town as some would claim. Has there been any update on the BJCC expansion? I think if it does get built they should try to lure in the SEC BBall tourney and the NCAA Final Four. Maybe even bring the SEC football title game back. I find it quite odd that while the SEC HQ is here in the city, the two big title games are elsewhere.
I think slowly but surely a lot of SEC events are coming to Birmingham...announce earlier this year was that SEC basketball media days are going to be held at the Westin. i know the SEC commissioner don't have much say so in what the city needs but if he want to purse the powers that be in Birmingham about having the majority of SEC related events in Birmingham, headquarter city, he would have by now, i.e...multi-purpose facility to accommodate both basketball and football and other indoor events. but on the other hand he knows that money plays the majority part of anything and whatever city can do that the best that's what he goes with

Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 PM

522 posts, read 846,647 times
Real: Additional lanes on I-65, a push for more entertainment created here since we have a lot of talent here (Film and music studios), a big shopping destination in Birmingham at I-65/22 interchange.

Long shot: A fun destination strip like Orlando's International Drive near Barber's/Bass Pro/Grand River or Splash Adventure, Sea World near BJCC.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 PM

522 posts, read 846,647 times
Quote:
I can definitely see NBA or soccer here! We arent a college football town but we aren't ready for NFL just yet, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area