Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:57 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,603,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Christ, that is all we in the 6th would need another tea party show off. I seriously hope we can get a serious, non obstructionist republican in this seat.
Did you expect anything different to happen? Whether a tea party challenger will win or not (I think he would have an extremely good chance) there wasn't a second's doubt in my mind there would be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:07 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,880,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Did you expect anything different to happen? Whether a tea party challenger will win or not (I think he would have an extremely good chance) there wasn't a second's doubt in my mind there would be one.
No im not surprised. But people in this district need more than someone who is just can spew anti-Obama rhetoric. I know the GOP is the opposition party, but they tea party faction take it to another level.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:28 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,603,722 times
Quote:
No im not surprised. But people in this district need more than someone who is just can spew anti-Obama rhetoric. I know the GOP is the opposition party, but they tea party faction take it to another level.
The people in the 6th district might disagree with you.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:44 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
"non obstructionist"?

Any "serious" Republican likely to get elected will run explicitly against Democratic policies and promise to 'obstruct' as much of those as possible (for example, the doctor opposing Obamacare).

Old 10-24-2013, 06:08 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,880,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
The people in the 6th district might disagree with you.
Probably, but hopefully a realistic, economic conservative runs for this seat. I take that over any tea party candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
"non obstructionist"?

Any "serious" Republican likely to get elected will run explicitly against Democratic policies and promise to 'obstruct' as much of those as possible (for example, the doctor opposing Obamacare).
Non obstructionist in the sense that they have realistic solutions and ideas to counter what the democrats have to offer, not just irrational, emotional rants and advocating things like govt shutdowns and risking the nation's financial future over something the nation has put their stamp of approval on after two president election cycles.

In other words im not supporting any GOP candidate who has the support of those like Ted Cruz, Sarah Palin, etc in the GOP primary.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,448 times
Quote:
Probably, but hopefully a realistic, economic conservative runs for this seat. I take that over any tea party candidate.

Non obstructionist in the sense that they have realistic solutions and ideas to counter what the democrats have to offer, not just irrational, emotional rants and advocating things like govt shutdowns and risking the nation's financial future over something the nation has put their stamp of approval on after two president election cycles.

In other words im not supporting any GOP candidate who has the support of those like Ted Cruz, Sarah Palin, etc in the GOP primary.
But then the bigger question: if the Palin/Cruz candidate wins the primary anyway, how will you vote in the general election?

Old 10-24-2013, 09:51 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Voters also put their 'stamp of approval' on opposing Obamacare by electing a majority of Republicans to the House of Representatives to do just that. For that matter, Republicans like Cruz just a week ago were being called economic terrorists for advocating a one year delay of Obamacare - this week, Democrats are calling for the same thing in response to the miserable failure.

BTW, no Republican advocated defaulting on the national debt payments.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:27 PM

468 posts, read 583,287 times
Affordable???? THAT IS A MISNOMER and a subliminal psyche job. It is in reality UNAFFORDABLE health care act.
In fact all those illegals walking through the hopital door will not be getting "free" health care anymore.
THEY HAVE TO BUY A PLAN.....LOL!!! everyone does. Obama is forcing everyone to buy a PLAN!!!............he got HUGE $$$$ from the "insurance Industry." This is the corporation merging with politicians who are shaking down the public via laws.
The ONLY upside to this shakedown is that everybody has to have "insurance" if you want to get any medical attention....including illegals!!!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:54 AM

178 posts, read 334,762 times
I think I can safely assume that the last post doesn't need much debunking. (Though if anyone thinks it's true I'll happily do so)

But I do want to point out that generally speaking voters did not vote for a GOP house. Republicans actually lost the popular vote in the house. They only retained a majority because of the safe nature of their districts.

Just a small reminder from a liberal in favor of non partisan redistricting...

Old 10-25-2013, 07:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner339 View Post
I think I can safely assume that the last post doesn't need much debunking. (Though if anyone thinks it's true I'll happily do so)

But I do want to point out that generally speaking voters did not vote for a GOP house. Republicans actually lost the popular vote in the house. They only retained a majority because of the safe nature of their districts.

Just a small reminder from a liberal in favor of non partisan redistricting...
Well, whenever I see anyone describe themselves as liberal or conservative, Republican or Democrat, I am prone to look for the lobotomy scars. Because all four parties and ideologies have proved to be spectacularly incompetent at best, and potentially lethal to the country at worst. The best and most ethical posture for any a voter is to stop parroting whatever biases we bring to a given problem and make these guys truly prove themselves. Instead, we pretty much repeat whatever we hear or read in the news organs that agree with our political views and then blindly walk into the voting booth and pull the party lever.

And since you're counting voters, then why ignore the fact that a sizable majority of Americans never supported the ACA at its passage and still don't today? In fact, given that this entire effort is already looking to be a dismal failure, one that is proving both more expensive and almost unworkable, the numbers of voters who like the ACA is going to plunge off the proverbial cliff. I'm no Republican, but given the systemic issues with ACA, they were absolutely right to try and snuff it out in its cradle or at least put it off a year.

Face it. The ACA was a massive, chaotic boondoggle that is now proving even worse than the problem it was purported to fix. The fact that the administration cannot (Read: Will not) supply any enrollment numbers is telling. Total, epic fail. We're talking historical failure, one that will be in the textbooks long after we've died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area