Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,922 times

Advertisements

My mom and i just moved here from Colorado. I will be going Mountain Brook high school, can anyone tell me what the teenagers in this area are like? I know absolutely nobody and I'm afraid I will stick out like a sore thumb when I start school. Would you say they are more or less welcoming to different kinds of people coming in? Are they more materialistic or what?

Just anything would help really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 03:25 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times
Honestly teens here are no different than teens anywhere else. If you have certain hobbies or whatever you will likely find a group a teens than are into the same thing very easily. People here are pretty open and friendly so you should not have a hard time fitting in.

Last edited by sleepless in Bham; 12-01-2013 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-01-2013, 04:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
My kids go to Mountain Brook (Ninth grade and Senior), and my oldest just graduated. If you or your mother would like to private message me, I could offer some advice.

Teenagers, by the way, are like teenagers everywhere. I think that, even in a wealthy suburb such as Mountain Brook, there are normal everyday kids. However, I will say that there are some kids who have always had money and that influences how they behave and how they see others. That being said, it's not a bunch of snobs. For every kid who is stuck up about that kind of stuff, there are dozens who are very cool to be around.

To me, the best advice I can give is to really find a group to join and get involved. Mountain Brook has seriously good programs in the arts, music, and athletics, and in each of these there's a great deal of camaraderie. So whether you like choir, band, theater, football, track, whatever, you will find a cadre of like minded kids with whom you can connect. I know that it's not easy at all to make the move to an entirely new school. And it might take a week or two of introducing yourself around, but I guarantee that you'll find your place.

Hope that helps. I encourage any questions you or your mom might have. That being said, I prefer a private message.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:18 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Brookies are fine in general. Be prepared for dealing with some strong influences from football and church and a few strong cliques.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:14 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Default Sounds like a lot of Changes and Concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBob368 View Post
My mom and i just moved here from Colorado. I will be going Mountain Brook high school, can anyone tell me what the teenagers in this area are like? I know absolutely nobody and I'm afraid I will stick out like a sore thumb when I start school. Would you say they are more or less welcoming to different kinds of people coming in? Are they more materialistic or what?

Just anything would help really.
Hey BobBob,

A great question. I don't know how long this move has been planned, but your questions are just like teens everywhere. How will I fit in and do some things here I like to do etc.

I'm back in the Rockies in UT. I'm an adult, but hopefully I can tell you a few tips. There was a time I saw Mtn. Brook and adjacent areas for the first time too. How are you doing with the southern drawl...

BTW, did you move from Metro Denver or the Springs? Or were you in a more rural location? Did you ever find out how many relocated from AL to the Rockies? You might be surprised. The Mtn. WEST, WAC and even PAC-12 will mean nothing to your new classmates and friends. Probably this week is a great week to listen about that last second play giving Auburn the W. It's painful for me to write Auburn and a W ~ 2,000 miles away. SEC WEST is all most hear in 'Bama.

You will have some wonderful opportunities at Mtn. Brook . What are your favorite classes? What did you excel in while in CO? Get involved with what you enjoy. There is no benefit trying to be a friend to someone who doesn't share a couple of your interests. You'll be miserable. One can't force friendships they happen as people get to know each other better.

We never have the ability to control how others treat us, only how we conduct our own lives. There could be some nice kids who share the same interests as you. Some teens everywhere are more materialistic than others. Mtn. Brook also does very well in academics. It's a matter of how quickly you meet those who like similar things and they become friends. Let others in your classes know what interests you. Ask teachers or advisors if there are clubs or activities focused on things that interest you. Be open to new ideas too.

If you feel homesick, I'll tell you what I found in the wooded areas in that part of town. DEER! Just like we have in the Rocky Mtn. West. That surprised me and also made me feel more at home. Also, if you like to canoe, check out how to canoe on the Cahaba River.

Focus on what makes you the person you are. All schools have cliques and some students with closed minds. Still, don't be surprised if many ask you what it's like to live in CO as many try to visit the Rockies from B'ham.

Keep us posted and remember you mastered school in CO, it will just be a matter of time until you are wondering how to schedule everything into a day or week. You can't lose if you focus on being polite - Bama is more formal than our area. It helps to say Thanks, Ma'am, Sir etc. But I really think if you focus on your studies, getting connect with clubs or others with your same interests, you'll find the friends you want.

Good Luck!

Mountain States Resident (MSR) who spent ~ 20 yrs. with a Mtn. Brook and UA Grad. Just call me MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 12-01-2013 at 10:29 PM..

Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Hey BobBob,

A great question. I don't know how long this move has been planned, but your questions are just like teens everywhere. How will I fit in and do some things here I like to do etc.

I'm back in the Rockies in UT. I'm an adult, but hopefully I can tell you a few tips. There was a time I saw Mtn. Brook and adjacent areas for the first time too. How are you doing with the southern drawl...

BTW, did you move from Metro Denver or the Springs? Or were you in a more rural location? Did you ever find out how many relocated from AL to the Rockies? You might be surprised. The Mtn. WEST, WAC and even PAC-12 will mean nothing to your new classmates and friends. Probably this week is a great week to listen about that last second play giving Auburn the W. It's painful for me to write Auburn and a W ~ 2,000 miles away. SEC WEST is all most hear in 'Bama.

You will have some wonderful opportunities at Mtn. Brook . What are your favorite classes? What did you excel in while in CO? Get involved with what you enjoy. There is no benefit trying to be a friend to someone who doesn't share a couple of your interests. You'll be miserable. One can't force friendships they happen as people get to know each other better.

We never have the ability to control how others treat us, only how we conduct our own lives. There could be some nice kids who share the same interests as you. Some teens everywhere are more materialistic than others. Mtn. Brook also does very well in academics. It's a matter of how quickly you meet those who like similar things and they become friends. Let others in your classes know what interests you. Ask teachers or advisors if there are clubs or activities focused on things that interest you. Be open to new ideas too.

If you feel homesick, I'll tell you what I found in the wooded areas in that part of town. DEER! Just like we have in the Rocky Mtn. West. That surprised me and also made me feel more at home. Also, if you like to canoe, check out how to canoe on the Cahaba River.

Focus on what makes you the person you are. All schools have cliques and some students with closed minds. Still, don't be surprised if many ask you what it's like to live in CO as many try to visit the Rockies from B'ham.

Keep us posted and remember you mastered school in CO, it will just be a matter of time until you are wondering how to schedule everything into a day or week. You can't lose if you focus on being polite - Bama is more formal than our area. It helps to say Thanks, Ma'am, Sir etc. But I really think if you focus on your studies, getting connect with clubs or others with your same interests, you'll find the friends you want.

Good Luck!

Mountain States Resident (MSR) who spent ~ 20 yrs. with a Mtn. Brook and UA Grad. Just call me MSR

Thank you very much! My mom and I were living in the Springs. The move to Alabama was kind of sudden but we knew , the house was my grandfather's for the longest.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:45 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Default Yw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBob368 View Post
Thank you very much! My mom and I were living in the Springs. The move to Alabama was kind of sudden but we knew , the house was my grandfather's for the longest.
You are welcome, Bob.

Coming from the Springs will be a good fit. If you have military in your life there many in 'Bama who do too. If not, that's okay too.

Talk about the Broadmoor, the Olympic Training area etc. some. If you have pics, or can get some sent to you, the Olympic Training facilities will interest many with the Olympics in 2014. What did you do for fun in the Springs? Do you like music, ask about Muscle Scholes and more. If you like graphic design/animation like things ask about the school (private college) for those who want to do that type of work.

Did you ever see TSO-west? As in Al Pitrelli and Angus Clark who really wiped out one year in the Springs? If so, check the BJCC. TSO is on a very shortened schedule this year as they have to be in Europe next month. However, our favorite western crew also plays the B'ham show. I still get weekly offers from the BJCC.

You got a change you couldn't change or stop. But there is a lot you can learn being in Mtn. Brook too.
I wouldn't suggest saying much about the Broncos when new friends and classmates talk about Auburn - Alabama and the SEC-west.

I honestly think you'll be fine. Just be yourself pursuing what makes you and your mom happy.

Good Luck

MSR

Old 12-02-2013, 03:36 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
They are cliquish like everywhere else: jocks, nerds, stoners, pretty girls, cool kids etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area