Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 03:12 AM

109 posts, read 144,785 times

Advertisements

Agreed. Just wish they would get rid of all the horrible and tacky billboards blighting the Bham area as well as come up with better planning than horrible strip malls. Bham has so much potential to be beautiful if more thought and planning was invested .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 03:58 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I'm not sure Birmingham gets a bad rap as much as Alabama in general. People like Roy Moore and Dean Young certainly don't help.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Roy Moore isn't responsible for the corruption (or billboards) in Birmingham.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:46 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,880,049 times
^^Good job using half the address of my place of employment as your user name. The owner has been notified and law enforcement will be notified as well.

What a dumbass...lol

Old 03-31-2015, 11:38 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Roy Moore isn't responsible for the corruption (or billboards) in Birmingham.
My point was that when people think of Alabama's cities, they think of Alabama as a whole, which means they usually think about intolerant backwoods rednecks( like the ones I mentioned). It doesn't seem to be that way for Atlanta, when people think of Atlanta theyre not usually thinking about the whole state of Georgia.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:09 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,162,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It doesn't seem to be that way for Atlanta, when people think of Atlanta theyre not usually thinking about the whole state of Georgia.
Soooo true !!

Old 03-31-2015, 12:32 PM

109 posts, read 144,785 times
Oh dear I must admit this is true. Being a native from Bham, I have lived outside of America for many years and when asked where I'm from people are ALWAYS taken aback and the first response is in regards to racism second religious zealots.

Still want to move back though! Bham is a lovely town, with lovely people only wish it could get rid of the two types mentioned above.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:10 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,913 times
I think the big problem is that people constantly need to compare Birmingham to other cities. It isn't necessary. If for some reason Birmingham ever reach the level of Nashville or even Atlanta, these same people would start talking about how horrible it is because it's not like New York or Tokyo. They will always look for a reason to COMPLAIN.

I personally don't feel the need to compare cities because how can you? What makes a city good? A higher population? Pretty scenery? Unique experiences? Amenities? Rankings? Education? Crime rate? Affordable housing? Pollution?

A way to measure the merit of a city is completely different for everyone.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:39 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
I honestly feel like Birmingham ought to divorce its identity totally from Alabama. No, "AL" or "Alabama" after its image or marketing campaign for the city. Focus exclusively on "Birmingham". In a number of ways, the local media ought to do the same to aid the city in this. This way the city would be determine how it is seen and marketed nationally and globally.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:14 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I honestly feel like Birmingham ought to divorce its identity totally from Alabama. No, "AL" or "Alabama" after its image or marketing campaign for the city. Focus exclusively on "Birmingham". In a number of ways, the local media ought to do the same to aid the city in this. This way the city would be determine how it is seen and marketed nationally and globally.
I like that idea but it's necessary in many cases to add Alabama to the name. We have a much bigger brother with the same name in the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area