Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 05:14 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times

Advertisements

More details will come out later I am sure but the 2 biggest talking points I heard were:

1. The city is poised to post a 10,000 citizen increase this year reversing the trend.

2. He will announce a plan to replace Legion Field.

the first will hopefully keep Montgomery off our backs and the 2nd while I have mixed feeling of could go a long way to bring prominence to the city and downtown for future bowl and or championship games.

He did also mention not trying to fight ALDOT about 20/59 which I agree is fruitless and then some stuff about the water works which I am not informed about.

This may be our year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 05:31 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,171,976 times
read about the state of the city address today. not really surprise about the increase population. with the demand for housing in the works around the city in the past couple years, people are interested in relocating to the city. if he got an announcement about legion field either two things....remodel it or demolish it and built a new one. my gut feeling is telling me he more toward remodeling it, even though a brand spanking new facility would also do wonders. also the land bank deal is a great plan as well which would allow the city to get together all the eyesore property around the city and redevelop them or let people residing around these properties, take care of it for 3 years and take ownership and the value of that property. so when people relocate and perhaps an eyesore is nearby, take care of it and it becomes yours to do what you want with it, great deal.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:23 PM

Yeah I forgot about the land bank thing. That could go a long way to cleaning up neighborhoods in a faster way then waiting for the city to handle it on a broader scale.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:36 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
More details will come out later I am sure but the 2 biggest talking points I heard were:

1. The city is poised to post a 10,000 citizen increase this year reversing the trend.

2. He will announce a plan to replace Legion Field.

the first will hopefully keep Montgomery off our backs and the 2nd while I have mixed feeling of could go a long way to bring prominence to the city and downtown for future bowl and or championship games.

He did also mention not trying to fight ALDOT about 20/59 which I agree is fruitless and then some stuff about the water works which I am not informed about.

This may be our year...
I'm elated that the city of Birmingham will increase it's population by 10K! This will also help Jefferson County's numbers.

On the other hand, I'm disappointed with the interstate re-design and that the fight would be fruitless. ALDOT could really do more to help the revitalization of downtown.

BTW, does anyone have a link to the article?

Old 01-15-2014, 05:58 AM

Here.

He has projected that over the next 5 years for the 10k growth. I missed that when I read it through the first time. That seems more realistic considering most of the residential developments have not been completed.

Birmingham to become 'the next great southern city' Mayor William Bell declares in State of the City (Updated) | AL.com

Last edited by Tourian; 01-15-2014 at 06:10 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 07:10 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
I'll admit it. I was skeptical when Bell succeeded Langford, but I think he has proved to be a highly capable mayor with a vision for where this city can go, a marked relief to Bernard Kincaid (Who seems to have done nothing) and Larry Langford (A crook and a whack job). My opinion and $1 will buy you a cup of coffee, but I would offer that improving schools should top his agenda. With good schools, population takes care of itself.

Continuing the renaissance of downtown is second. Of course, that's well underway.

The growth of the Civic Center/Stadium complex. Legion Field is just sad. And it would cost almost as much to get it to the level of mid-level stadiums as it would to just build it downtown as the crowning jewel of our civic makeover.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:58 AM

Im also curious about the hints theyve dropped about his trips to the middle east. He wants Birmingham to compete for aerospace jobs so that the next time a company like Boeing comes calling we would be ready.

Having a big company from overseas move in could mean a big influx of immigrants which could instantly transform a neighborhood like East Lake or Norwood or North Avondale. More money more initiative more residents and more kids would transform the schools in its wake.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:13 PM

522 posts, read 847,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Im also curious about the hints theyve dropped about his trips to the middle east. He wants Birmingham to compete for aerospace jobs so that the next time a company like Boeing comes calling we would be ready.

Having a big company from overseas move in could mean a big influx of immigrants which could instantly transform a neighborhood like East Lake or Norwood or North Avondale. More money more initiative more residents and more kids would transform the schools in its wake.
Hopeful wishing for something like this. Our time for a big company is now. This area would he ideal, with its proximity to the airport. I have it once, and I will say it again...investing in the eastern part of the city could be the easiest transformation area. Followed by the north, and the west. Downtown and the southeastern(280/Lake Purdy) growth is inevitable.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,171,976 times
al.com had a article on mayor bell before the elections last years where they interviewed him about what's he would try and accomplished if elected again. one of his main goals was the development of the eastern area of Birmingham. so he probably has a lot on the agenda as far as that goes, probably what to do with century plaza as well as others. so some good things for that area should be coming thru this years especially along I-20/i459 perhaps.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
One of the things that I think should really be a priority is that of taking advantage of the I22 linkup along with the Intermodal Transfer facility in McCalla. With those two, Birmingham is poised to be a very desirable distribution center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area