Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 11:12 AM

55 posts, read 69,603 times

Advertisements

I live in Mobile from Atlanta but i get the feeling like i would like it better in Birmingham than down here in Mobile. I am trying to figure out why but i think I know why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 11:28 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
B-Ham = Larger city 1.4 million , better shopping, and etc

Old 01-30-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
B-Ham = Larger city 1.4 million , better shopping, and etc
...yes that is exactly what i was getting at even though city proper wise BHAM IS LIKE 230,000 and Mobile is around 195,000 supposedly 250,000 if you take in the city police jurisdiction that covers unincorporated areas that won't and choose not to be annexed in to the city but they try and say Mobile metro area is actually greater than B'HAM because you have people from over in Mississippi that work in Mobile and vise versa and the same goes for pensacola but they have there own metro area stats and shopping down here is terrible from what i am used too and i am trying to make the best of living down here being a single just turned 29 yr old with no children man in this city but the date scene/night life isn't good either

Old 01-30-2014, 12:39 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon85 View Post
...yes that is exactly what i was getting at even though city proper wise BHAM IS LIKE 230,000 and Mobile is around 195,000 supposedly 250,000 if you take in the city police jurisdiction that covers unincorporated areas that won't and choose not to be annexed in to the city but they try and say Mobile metro area is actually greater than B'HAM because you have people from over in Mississippi that work in Mobile and vise versa and the same goes for pensacola but they have there own metro area stats and shopping down here is terrible from what i am used too and i am trying to make the best of living down here being a single just turned 29 yr old with no children man in this city but the date scene/night life isn't good either
As of the 2010 census, Greater Birmingham (B'ham metro area) had a population of 1.13 million people, or about 1/4 of the state's population, compared to 602,000 people in the Mobile metro area (2011 estimate). It is the financial and cultural hub of Alabama, with a great symphony orchestra, some very excellent restaurants and bars, and a lot of new growth going on. It is really a pretty nice place to live.

I'm not a shill for Birmingham, because I personally intend to move due to the weather, but it is definitely a better place to live than Mobile, in my opinion. And if you are used to Atlanta, you might find Birmingham to be a nice compromise in size between Mobile and Atlanta. Far less sprawl, far less nasty traffic, and better planned growth are a few of the advantages it has over Atlanta. There are plenty of women to meet here, and I think you definitely stand a better chance than you do in Mobile. The nightlife is definitely better, and it is improving all the time. And to top it all off, the weather, oh the weather. Mobile, to me, is absolutely unbearable due to its humid, stagnant air; Birmingham, while still hot, is nowhere near as bad.

Anyway, I would encourage you to at least come check it out. I think you'll find that your suspicions are correct.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
As of the 2010 census, Greater Birmingham (B'ham metro area) had a population of 1.13 million people, or about 1/4 of the state's population, compared to 602,000 people in the Mobile metro area (2011 estimate). It is the financial and cultural hub of Alabama, with a great symphony orchestra, some very excellent restaurants and bars, and a lot of new growth going on. It is really a pretty nice place to live.

I'm not a shill for Birmingham, because I personally intend to move due to the weather, but it is definitely a better place to live than Mobile, in my opinion. And if you are used to Atlanta, you might find Birmingham to be a nice compromise in size between Mobile and Atlanta. Far less sprawl, far less nasty traffic, and better planned growth are a few of the advantages it has over Atlanta. There are plenty of women to meet here, and I think you definitely stand a better chance than you do in Mobile. The nightlife is definitely better, and it is improving all the time. And to top it all off, the weather, oh the weather. Mobile, to me, is absolutely unbearable due to its humid, stagnant air; Birmingham, while still hot, is nowhere near as bad.

Anyway, I would encourage you to at least come check it out. I think you'll find that your suspicions are correct.
..thanks i plan on it i haven't been to B'HAM in a few years but i did like it and the B'HAM weather i can deal with it it reminds me of Atlanta plus it seems like everybody in Mobile is married and been married since they graduated high school nothing wrong with that i guess but i do plan on visiting soon i know a a lot of people up there and plus i I've been looking at jobs up there its much more diverse up there and not sheltered around 3-4 main things like here in Mobile and the gulf coast area

Old 01-30-2014, 01:03 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon85 View Post
I understand this kind of stuff is popular to banter about on this board but I cant see how it is really going to weigh in on wether or not someone is happy. Take a trip up here and see what you think. If you like it, good - if not, so be it. Otherwise if things like police jurisdictions keeping Mobile from being able to claim being the largest city keep you up at night and its the only thing that is making you unhappy about Mobile then start the underground revolution to get the other areas annexed down there. You may meet a cute resistance groupie in the process.

otherwise look for the perfect city with the largest core to metro ratio, the coolest skyline, the most sports teams, the highest tier rating, the most walkable downtown, the least crime, the smartest, prettiest and most hip people and nightlife, the best unique food, the best chains, the best indie music scene, the best commercial music art and movie scene and the most dynamic culture...and move there.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM

salty much lay off it a little bit everybody can be like you i was just saying what others and the locals try to sell people on i wasn't sold on that i had my reasons to move down here maybe i just wanted to speak a little bit on this forum my bad if its not up to your standards or your type of thinking if you want to troll and be sarcastic try a lil harder next time

Old 02-02-2014, 07:30 PM

946 posts, read 775,777 times
I live in B'ham and I'm from St. Louis. (Although I've lived and been many more places).

Trust me when I say, B'ham is not anything like ATL, or any larger city. If you liked the city (ATL), and don't like Mobile, you need to go back to ATL, or somewhere else. If it wasn't for my job, I would be out of here in 30 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: