Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 04:50 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

The last chapters of BIR were written like most all the negative stories of old Birmingham, but this is new Birmingham. We're making moves towards a brighter future and although both Talladega and Barber's are top notch racing facilities that give us worldwide visibility, there needs to be something for the common man grass roots type of racer.

Langford wanted to move it somewhere to the northwest which makes sense as it probably has the largest amount of cheap land. Plus a lot of the old school racers and garages tend to be around Fultondale and Hueytown.

Is there enough interest in circle track racing to consider bringing this back? The old one had been around for 80 years with both harness and auto racing and hosted a few NASCAR events. It could also host a state fair again. It should include a drag strip as well for locals to test their might as opposed to going to Steele or Lassiter Mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Well, we have the Barber Motorsports facility, which is a world-class venue. Isn't that good enough?

Old 02-07-2014, 08:21 PM

I mentioned both Barber's and Talladega but BIR was circle track racing.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Not a fan of circle track. It's just left hand turns to me.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:47 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

I remember the exciting sounds of the racing when I was quite young and in the Central Park area visiting an aunt.

I think there is easily a place for it, but it could be hard organizing the people who would most benefit and enjoy having it.

I agree, the northwest is the most reasonable area, and now with I-22 coming on line in a year it could be an early adventure out that way. Definitely needs to be away from homes. (lots of noise)

I don't know about State Fairs. Epcot and all the other places one can go kind of kills the small stuff. I know once I saw the fireworks at Epcot I have never gone out of my way again to see others. Of course I can just look up the hill at the Summit and that is good for once a year with no crowds out my door.

raj

Old 02-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Yes it definitely has a strong NIMBY factor and I think the fair concept may be played out. But it could also serve as a cheaper venue for outdoor events like custom car shows that might not work at the BJCC.

I'm not a huge fan of circle track racing either but that changed for me when I went to a few races at BIR because my old employer had his own team and I got to help on pit stops on a couple of races.

I just think we need all the venues we can get, especially one like that in the city that has a more hometown and accessible to semi pro and amateurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area