Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 PM

8 posts, read 11,504 times

Advertisements

I am from the NW corner of Jefferson County (Adamsville) and believe that downtown Birmingham has just a high chance as getting hit by an F5 tornado as say, Pratt City or Fultondale. Just because a tornado hasn't devastated the downtown area yet does not make it tornado-proof.

As for developments in this area, even with the new I-22 being built, there are no real shops being built out here. The whole community went ballistic and piled into the new Ollie's Bargain Outlet and acted as if an H&M had opened in the area. I have never even heard of an Ollie's, and was rather saddened by the fact that a once near-vacant parking lot would become completely filled over a bargain outlet. It just goes to show how desperate people want business out here.

While yes, terrain may be rugged in this area, that shouldn't discourage retailers from opening stores here, since there is enough space out here to build an international airport the size of ATL's. Also, people in this area have been longing for a shopping center of their own in NW Jefferson County for decades. People here are tired of making a forty minute drive and wasting lots of gas money just to get to the nearest shopping mall.

I personally would love to see plenty of development in this area, especially being a native of Adamsville. In my free time sometimes I pull out a map that I have concocted of a new Adamsville located near I-22, about 6 miles NW of its current location. It includes a revamped downtown with modern municipal buildings, an entire shopping district, and sprawling communities around it. It is a neat little map, with an expressway loop around this futuristic Adamsville and even a light transit railway system. But unfortunately it is a useless map, knowing that this area won't be seeing any major developments for a long while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 04:44 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
While I don't forsee a loop and light rail for Adamsville I do think 22 will bring some sort of mall development. The golf course would be an easy site to redevelop if desired. I grew up in the area too and whenever I go down 78 and see all the empty store fronts and closed bingo halls, sketchy used car dealers, wing and Chinese fast food places built out of old shut down Hardee's and Burger Kings I shake my head. There's still plenty of people that live out there, they just need business that suit them. Most all the kids are gone I think and older folks like bargains so I am glad to hear that the Ollie's is, at least, an initial success. Haute couture type retail probably wouldn't work out there but plenty of retailers would with a good master plan from a few developers. 78 I think is mainly a lost cause for any wholesale revamping but for a few bright spots like the Ollie's.

Last edited by Tourian; 04-25-2014 at 05:16 AM..

Old 04-26-2014, 08:14 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times
NW Birmingham is a total dump.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:32 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
NW Birmingham is a total dump.
so is that city in georgia u from just more of it

Old 04-26-2014, 11:33 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
This repeat drive-by poster is one of the unfortunate aspects of participating on internet forums. Something is not quite right in his living environment or he would not be so obsessed with ours. (as we use to say, "get a life")
I am committing to not ever directly engaging him/her and I suggest the same to anyone who finds these post to be offensive or a stupid waste of time to read.
His posting history certainly reveals his true nature, and goal.

raj

Old 04-26-2014, 03:19 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
This repeat drive-by poster is one of the unfortunate aspects of participating on internet forums. Something is not quite right in his living environment or he would not be so obsessed with ours. (as we use to say, "get a life")
I am committing to not ever directly engaging him/her and I suggest the same to anyone who finds these post to be offensive or a stupid waste of time to read.

raj
yea raj I know, very often he/she wants to insert their two cents into something about Birmingham. very rare on occasions you have to check people at times.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
so is that city in georgia u from just more of it
Hardly, do make such as asinine statement, it just deflates your intelligence.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post

raj
My life is grand, much better than that hole you live in....You're one to talk, you troll Atlanta threads many times...

Old 05-13-2014, 12:45 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I think once 22 is finished, more light to medium industry will move in. Daniel Payne industrial park will most grow. They already have a couple of trucking companies and FedEx is out there along with a Freightliner dealer. I could see the area becoming more like Oxmoor or southwest Bessemer.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:59 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think once 22 is finished, more light to medium industry will move in. Daniel Payne industrial park will most grow. They already have a couple of trucking companies and FedEx is out there along with a Freightliner dealer. I could see the area becoming more like Oxmoor or southwest Bessemer.
I think you are right on target. What is built there will follow the reason the road was built there.

There will be the occasional use of scenic land, of which there is much, for residential. It will be a draw for people who want to get out of the Gardendale/Fultondale corridor as it is becoming more urbanized and the traffic is growing even as they try to finish the new freeway. It is all about urban evolution. Some of it is good and some not so much.
I do hope that the 22 corridor gets some respect. It is beautiful land.

Raj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area