Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:15 AM

11 posts, read 29,229 times

Advertisements

Many different people come here looking for info on the city when they plan on moving to Birmingham. Particularly, gay people tend to search to find out how receptive cities are of their sexual orientation. (Something they were born with.)

As a city known for past discrimination, many people may think that we are not open to the LGBTQ population. The purpose of this discussion is this:

How can we make a strong effort to welcome potential LGBTQ citizens to the city with open arms?

What can we do to change the perception that Birmingham isn't any different than other cities in the south when it comes to homosexuals?

Welcoming LGBTQ is not only important because it's a basic human right but it can also play a vital role in revitalizing our city. The LGBTQ typically has a higher amount of disposable income which is spent on renovating homes, shopping, and nightlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 07:29 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times
Birmingham has a looooong waaaay to go in this aspect...

Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampride View Post
Many different people come here looking for info on the city when they plan on moving to Birmingham. Particularly, gay people tend to search to find out how receptive cities are of their sexual orientation. (Something they were born with.)

As a city known for past discrimination, many people may think that we are not open to the LGBTQ population. The purpose of this discussion is this:

How can we make a strong effort to welcome potential LGBTQ citizens to the city with open arms?

What can we do to change the perception that Birmingham isn't any different than other cities in the south when it comes to homosexuals?

Welcoming LGBTQ is not only important because it's a basic human right but it can also play a vital role in revitalizing our city. The LGBTQ typically has a higher amount of disposable income which is spent on renovating homes, shopping, and nightlife.

Since discrimination is a personal preference issue it is very difficult to imagine that a city or county or school district can do anything to promote the idea that anyone of those or other governmental entities is tolerant. (much less friendly)
I avoid people, places and things that I don't like. That is one of the great freedoms and rights we have in America.
If a gay person or any other person that may not follow mainstream definition has a problem with the above statement they are being overly sensitive and it would seem they would like to impose their presence on others who have a right to avoid their presence.

Having said the above I would also point out that Birmingham has suffered the prejudice of many fellow Americans over the last half century for prejudicial actions, some to the extreme that were perpetrated by a few, not mobs of citizens in the street. (google the citizen mob killings of blacks in Tulsa Ok. in the twenties. Numbers up to two thousand dead have been reported)

And yet as you say Birmingham is 'NOTED' for extraordinary prejudice, not just in the past but people even believe the city is exactly the same today despite a completely new generation of people and people from other areas moving here. It is chosen to believe this. It is convenient because almost all other cities, (such as Tulsa, Atlanta, Little Rock, Memphis, Detroit, Greensboro, Cleveland, Chattanooga,,,,,,,well you get the idea I suppose), yes, almost all have had the same or similar histories concerning civil rights, especially in the South but oh yes, also in the North. And no, one cannot honestly say that Birmingham was/is different or worse. There were people killed in each of the above cities and in most cases more were killed. A life is precious, any life. In Birmingham or elsewhere.

So yes, Birmingham has had to bare the prejudice of the nation even though the nation never speaks of Tulsa and other far worse atrocities. But this has made Birmingham so much better and self aware. In our hotly competitive world there are places that like to subtly/blatantly use this history to get an edge against the city in economics and other areas. That is okay because if you visit or live in any place sooner than later you will discover that prejudice got there before you did and makes its home there.
And that is okay and the right of individuals, as long as no action is taken against another.

Moving to your point specifically, I am not aware of overt prejudice against gay people in Birmingham. Gays are at the top of many of our most important cultural institutions and contribute to our refinement as a community. Gays were also among the first to help blur the lines of prejudice between the races.
I am so happy to have friends and acquaintances from every conceivable persuasion and have never been made aware of any important discomfort with the idea of knowing or being around gay people. (I am using this term as a universal reference)

I personally don't believe gay people are going to embrace Birmingham on a scale like Palm Springs, we just don't party that hard. But are they welcome, of course they are. As you said , Birmingham wants the 'CREATIVE CLASS' even more than many other cities to continue the evolution that is occurring here. PERCEPTION OF PREJUDICE IS A SLIPPERY TWO WAY STREET. I might not like you for some personal reason, and if you are black or gay, or Hindu, you might jump to the assumption that is the reason. We will never be able to change that.

What we can change is how each of us treat each other on a daily basis. Collectively that is how we let the world know that you are welcome. But if you curse a place for what one or one hundred people do then you are activating prejudice toward a whole populace.

I hope we keep moving forward without prejudice of refusing to heal and refusing to forgive. (where does that lead)

Sorry for the length of this, but I feel your post to be important in an overview of not just this community but all, as we have all stumbled our way into the twenty-first century with a few drifting behind. (they do not define us)

Thanks,
raj

Old 03-02-2014, 01:34 PM

522 posts, read 846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Since discrimination is a personal preference issue it is very difficult to imagine that a city or county or school district can do anything to promote the idea that anyone of those or other governmental entities is tolerant. (much less friendly)
I avoid people, places and things that I don't like. That is one of the great freedoms and rights we have in America.
If a gay person or any other person that may not follow mainstream definition has a problem with the above statement they are being overly sensitive and it would seem they would like to impose their presence on others who have a right to avoid their presence.

Having said the above I would also point out that Birmingham has suffered the prejudice of many fellow Americans over the last half century for prejudicial actions, some to the extreme that were perpetrated by a few, not mobs of citizens in the street. (google the citizen mob killings of blacks in Tulsa Ok. in the twenties. Numbers up to two thousand dead have been reported)

And yet as you say Birmingham is 'NOTED' for extraordinary prejudice, not just in the past but people even believe the city is exactly the same today despite a completely new generation of people and people from other areas moving here. It is chosen to believe this. It is convenient because almost all other cities, (such as Tulsa, Atlanta, Little Rock, Memphis, Detroit, Greensboro, Cleveland, Chattanooga,,,,,,,well you get the idea I suppose), yes, almost all have had the same or similar histories concerning civil rights, especially in the South but oh yes, also in the North. And no, one cannot honestly say that Birmingham was/is different or worse. There were people killed in each of the above cities and in most cases more were killed. A life is precious, any life. In Birmingham or elsewhere.

So yes, Birmingham has had to bare the prejudice of the nation even though the nation never speaks of Tulsa and other far worse atrocities. But this has made Birmingham so much better and self aware. In our hotly competitive world there are places that like to subtly/blatantly use this history to get an edge against the city in economics and other areas. That is okay because if you visit or live in any place sooner than later you will discover that prejudice got there before you did and makes its home there.
And that is okay and the right of individuals, as long as no action is taken against another.

Moving to your point specifically, I am not aware of overt prejudice against gay people in Birmingham. Gays are at the top of many of our most important cultural institutions and contribute to our refinement as a community. Gays were also among the first to help blur the lines of prejudice between the races.
I am so happy to have friends and acquaintances from every conceivable persuasion and have never been made aware of any important discomfort with the idea of knowing or being around gay people. (I am using this term as a universal reference)

I personally don't believe gay people are going to embrace Birmingham on a scale like Palm Springs, we just don't party that hard. But are they welcome, of course they are. As you said , Birmingham wants the 'CREATIVE CLASS' even more than many other cities to continue the evolution that is occurring here. PERCEPTION OF PREJUDICE IS A SLIPPERY TWO WAY STREET. I might not like you for some personal reason, and if you are black or gay, or Hindu, you might jump to the assumption that is the reason. We will never be able to change that.

What we can change is how each of us treat each other on a daily basis. Collectively that is how we let the world know that you are welcome. But if you curse a place for what one or one hundred people do then you are activating prejudice toward a whole populace.

I hope we keep moving forward without prejudice of refusing to heal and refusing to forgive. (where does that lead)

Sorry for the length of this, but I feel your post to be important in an overview of not just this community but all, as we have all stumbled our way into the twenty-first century with a few drifting behind. (they do not define us)

Thanks,
raj
Raj, I think that you have provided a great point of view. I think that we, Birmingham, should be at the forefront of getting past such prejudice and discrimination. We should embrace differences of all people regardless. We actually have events for an entire week during Pride, but pride should be shown year round.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Miv

156 posts, read 350,985 times
I doubt that any gay person living in any other major metropolitan city in America would want to flock to Alabama or the south period (outside of Atlanta and Miami). I don't think it's that bad for the gays that are here. I'm not aware of any lynchings, there are plenty of gay clubs, and the Southside seems like a pretty gay friendly area. There was a pride parade last year....at night though, lol.

They only thing that Alabama has to offer is low cost of living. That is attractive to anyone.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:18 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
We touched on this in a couple of threads here. What I think we all seemed to take away from it was:

1. Birmingham has a tolerant population with mostly a live and let live attitude.

2. Gay people seem to have founded a community of sorts in an around southside, Avondale and east lake.

3. People outside of the area that have hang ups about what does or does not go on in the hearts and minds of Alabamians can kick rocks. There's no real reason for us to spend time trying to change what people say who have no basis of experience with what they are hating on.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:54 PM

11 posts, read 29,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post

Thanks,

raj
I think you have made some great points here but I think the city does have some responsibility in changing this perception and opening the doors so to speak.

For instance, this article points out how Larry Langford denied the pride parade permit in 2008. Not too long ago.

Left In Alabama:: Birmingham Mayor Refuses Gay Pride Parade Permit

While there haven't been any issues in recent years, Birmingham pride isn't backed by the city in any kind of way like most other cities.

I just think that there could be an initiative by the city and residents.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:27 PM

421 posts, read 676,335 times
political migration

Old 03-02-2014, 05:44 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times
From Raj "It is convenient because almost all other cities, (such as Tulsa, Atlanta, Little Rock, Memphis, Detroit, Greensboro, Cleveland, Chattanooga,,,,,,,well you get the idea I suppose), yes, almost all have had the same or similar histories concerning civil rights, especially in the South but oh yes, also in the North".

RAJ, HELL NO. No city had Bull Connor and the hoses that mowed down Negros on every block along with attack German Shepherds. Wake up man. ATLANTA, never came remotely close to the bigotry that consumed Birmingham and still does to this day. I am still embarrassed for Birmingham because of this and yes I do have family from Alabama. As far as Gays go, are you gay?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampride View Post

Atlanta's very large and very visible LGBT community most certainly helped make it the city that it is today, and contributes mightily to the cultural fabric that is Atlanta's brand. But an obvious question might be which came first? Gays or Atlanta's acceptance for gays?

Reality is that as far back as the 1950s, when Atlanta was emerging as a progressive, business-minded and tolerant city "too busy to hate," gays and lesbians began flocking there in large numbers because it was one of the few places in the South where they could live and socialize in anonymity. By the 1960s, when the AA Civil Rights movement was raging across the South, Atlanta already had gay nightclubs. And in 1971, two years after the Stonewall Riots in NYC, Atlanta staged it's first gay pride parade -- one of the earliest (and now oldest) in the country.

The gay club scene in Atlanta continued to grow and flourish throughout the 1970s, and by the 1980s Atlanta was indisputably the "gay Mecca" of the South -- the South's San Francisco. Though the arrival of AIDS in the early 1980s decimated much of the community, it also galvanized it, politicized it and brought Atlanta's gay community from the shadows to the forefront. Thanks to the presence of the CDC, which housed the team of doctors and scientists who first identified and established early treatment for HIV, Atlanta has always been very much at the center of the battle against the disease. Further, it was an Atlanta court case that led to the US Supreme Court overthrowing sodomy laws in all 50 states -- effectively making gay sex legal.

Again, all this is as much a part of Atlanta's history as is the Civil War, MLK, Coca-Cola, CNN and the Olympics. Dozens of Atlanta neighborhoods, beginning with Midtown, have seen gentrification and are thriving today thanks almost exclusively to gays and lesbians. And that fact is not lost on the city's business and political circles, which embrace the LGBT community for the invaluable role it plays in making modern day Atlanta. Thus, the city promotes itself as a gay destination -- not just to visit, but to live and do business.

Birmingham leaders -- any Southern city's leaders -- would only be wise to do the same.

Last edited by Newsboy; 03-02-2014 at 09:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area