Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:21 AM

67 posts, read 291,350 times

Advertisements

I'm seeking info on Birmingham and the surrounding areas. We are looking at relo to the area. We have children and are interested in the best schools academically and housing in the $350 - $400 range.
What is the area like as far as racial issues go? Is the area progressive or are they "stuck in their old ways"? Are there choices for teens-safe places for them to go to? Are the malls, skating rinks, and bowling alleys in safe, nice areas? How about the shopping?
I should mention that we are not far enough into the process for a specific area as far as where the job would be, so I realize commute will be an unkown factor-just give me some good areas to check into--Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 04:55 PM

136 posts, read 594,062 times
well I would say that we are not stuck in our old ways. As for schools go, check on the following cities: Vestavia, Hoover, Mountain Brook, Homewood to start. There are other good schools but this is a starting point. I graduated from Pelham High School in Pelham and I had a great education and great teachers.

All of these areas have many activities for kids so they will not get bored. If you would like to look at homes in the area, check out Alabama Real Estate - Home Search - Birmingham Hoover Trussville. This is an easy website to navigate. You will have a lot to choose from in your price range and should be very happy with the selection. When and if it gets closer to time and you have more information, please post so we can help you further.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:54 PM

Anyone have any more input to share? My husband is interviewing with a company in the downtown area of Birmingham. I looked at the real estate link that was suggested, I think the areas suggested above look nice and I like the housing selection; the commute looks good to downtown also. I would love to hear from newcomers and locals both on their perception of the area and the schools--give me the good and the bad...

Old 12-14-2007, 04:51 PM

Also check out Gardendale and Trussville. There are also some great private schools in town. Check out Alabama School of Fine Arts, John Carroll Catholic, and Jefferson County International Baccalaureate. What ages are your children?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:02 PM

763 posts, read 3,824,581 times
Frankly, the Birmingham metro has some of the highest housing costs in the Southeast because the suburbs have the finest public schools among all metros in the SE.

I know at least ten families who have located here to simply educate their children in public schools to save $15-20K per year over private school tuition. These families are from New Orleans, Atlanta, Nashville, Jackson, Dallas, Savannah and other areas in the Southeast.

For $400K you can buy a house in Vestavia, or Homewood and get an excellent public school education for your children.

On the racism subject,Moderator cut: edited for brevity Please see our thread on "Forum Invaders" discussing stereotypical questions about racism...

Of metro areas in the United States of 1 million or more, Birmingham is ranked #1 in unemployment with a rate of 2.7%. Alabama is ranked #1 in the nation in terms of lowest taxation load.

Last edited by riveree; 12-15-2007 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: we can't tell the OP not to ask questions

Old 12-16-2007, 02:57 PM

Our children are ages 10, 12, and 18. The oldest will be off to college next fall, so we'll have one in middle school and one in elementary.

I've gotten some feedback from people with family living in the suburbs saying that it is not a very welcoming area to newcomers. Can anyone elaborate? Are there many "transplants" in Birmingham? Are locals welcoming newcomers or is it a difficult area to fit into?

Thanks for all your help. I am so pleased to hear of the good schools, as that is our main concern.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:38 AM

763 posts, read 3,824,581 times
I don't know who started that ugly rumor. Birmingham is like any area, you have to bloom where you are planted. I would strongly suggest Vestavia Hills as a place to live and get an excellent education for your children.

Once you move, Get Involved the the community....you will meet plenty of nice people who will welcome you....

Old 12-17-2007, 11:02 AM

Just choose either Alabama or Auburn and say you are a big fan and you will be just fine!!!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:31 PM

The oldest is going to Auburn next fall!!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:21 AM

We're coming for a visit at the end of this week. Using the link you provided for housing, In Hoover I like the looks of Lake Cyrus & Ross Bridge subdivisions. They appear to be planned communities much like where we now live. Any other suggestions on similar subdivisions in other areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area