Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times

Advertisements

So the other half and I are visiting your fine city this weekend. We have no plans but want to get out of Huntsville for a bit. Anything going on for Saturday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 06:13 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Check out this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/birmi...spend-day.html

Old 04-16-2014, 07:07 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
If the weather is as nice as today, the Botanical Gardens would be a great time before or after a nice brunch/lunch in Crestline Village. The zoo is across the road in the other half of Lane park. Under renewal but it does have some nice new exhibits to go with those yet to be redone or replaced.

The flowering trees are so nice now: a stroll down Jemison Trail along Mountain Brook Pkwy would be nice. (this is the road that goes east from Brookwood Village) A drive down Cherokee, Beechwood, Overbrook, Brookwood Roads would also be a really nice way to get to know a part of the city that few ever see. If you do, you will understand the love. (have a GPS if you ever want to find your way back out)

I always recommend SEASONS52 at the Summit as great place to have lunch or dinner. But I add the caveat that this should include at least one local establishment of which there are so many execellent and various kinds.

Of course seeing the LIGHT TUNNELS (two of four are complete) downtown next to Railroad Park/Regions Field.

Lunch or dinner at Ross Bridge Resort would be a special afternoon or evening. Shula's at the Hyatt Regency is a great dinner as well.

Google (such as BLACK AND WHITE) to see what is going on in the music scene such as Iron City, Workplay, Bottletree, and so many more. There will be something out there if you want it.

I should mention if you are downtown, you might want to drop by and check out TEXAS DE BRAZIL by having a drink, since they are coming to BS. Also, across from the Tutwiler Hotel is the Lynn Henley Annex of the Birmingham Library. I highly recommend you go to the annex to visit the 'reading room' and most important the Children's Room with the fantastic classical Murals. All the murals in the annex were restored some years ago and they are exceptional. This is a Carnegie Library, with all the grandeur that implies. A beautiful and awesome place.

Kelly Ingram Park is a nice stroll on a pretty day. I don't approve of some interpretive art in the park but it does not take away from the overall sense of place, across from the Sixteenth Street Baptist or the Civil Rights Institute.

As you can see, traveling to me is eating and walking........and sometimes , walking and eating. lol

Have a good time.

raj

Last edited by raj kapoor; 04-16-2014 at 07:23 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 11:15 AM

We ended up going to the Botanical Gardens. I was really impressed. We didn't get to go through all of it, but most if it. I wish our Botanical gardens were as nice. Been once and was dissapointed.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
We ended up going to the Botanical Gardens. I was really impressed. We didn't get to go through all of it, but most if it. I wish our Botanical gardens were as nice. Been once and was dissapointed.

I am glad you were able to go. I had planned to myself and then things changed.

raj

Old 04-22-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
I am glad you were able to go. I had planned to myself and then things changed.

raj
We had some places we need to shop at the summit and near the galleria. We ended up eating at Cajun Steamer for lunch. I really like their gumbo.

I'll say this. I've pretty much sworn off the summit. It's just too darn crowded and the traffic just sucks. The galleria and the area around it can be bad, but I've always had an easier time getting in and out of traffic.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:35 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
We had some places we need to shop at the summit and near the galleria. We ended up eating at Cajun Steamer for lunch. I really like their gumbo.

I'll say this. I've pretty much sworn off the summit. It's just too darn crowded and the traffic just sucks. The galleria and the area around it can be bad, but I've always had an easier time getting in and out of traffic.
Well, here's a trick: Get off 280 at Pump House Road and go the back way. Two stop lights. Much easier.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Yes, the Summit has no real system of well defined roadways within the parking areas. I drive very carefully there. (two weeks ago a woman rolled over in her haste to make a turn on a two way parking lot road) I believe that justifies your statement. I find that people stop where there are no stop signs, and they don't stop where there are signs. This can only be dealt with by the most defensive driving. One must consider that a lot of visitors to the Summit are what I refer to as 'THE ENTITELED'.
Of course you were there on the weekend. That is usually not my time to go to The Summit.

On the other hand, the Galleria has much more traffic, but the garages and roadways are more controlled.
Not to mention that the Galleria has seven major entrances and the Summit has two.

It is easy to move between it and Patton Creek Center too. (next time there you should try Jesse's Seafood and Steak (google); a really good restaurant with a very comfortable environment)
I don't recall if I have had the gumbo at Cajun's. With all the great Greek restaurants down here I am spoiled when it comes to gumbo and west indies salad. (I prefer the roux based as opposed to the red)

raj

Old 04-23-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Yes, the Summit has no real system of well defined roadways within the parking areas. I drive very carefully there. (two weeks ago a woman rolled over in her haste to make a turn on a two way parking lot road) I believe that justifies your statement. I find that people stop where there are no stop signs, and they don't stop where there are signs. This can only be dealt with by the most defensive driving. One must consider that a lot of visitors to the Summit are what I refer to as 'THE ENTITELED'.
Of course you were there on the weekend. That is usually not my time to go to The Summit.

On the other hand, the Galleria has much more traffic, but the garages and roadways are more controlled.
Not to mention that the Galleria has seven major entrances and the Summit has two.

It is easy to move between it and Patton Creek Center too. (next time there you should try Jesse's Seafood and Steak (google); a really good restaurant with a very comfortable environment)
I don't recall if I have had the gumbo at Cajun's. With all the great Greek restaurants down here I am spoiled when it comes to gumbo and west indies salad. (I prefer the roux based as opposed to the red)

raj

When I say Galleria, I suppose I meant the patton creek center by the rave. We didn't go to the mall. I honestly felt there was much more traffic at the Summit, but it was closer to lunch and I think they have more eating establishments as well.

In regards to the galleria, most people just park it and then shop. With the summit, you park, go to one or two places, then get in the car and go to other places. I fell there are just more cars to deal with over at the summit.

Cajun Steamer's Gumbo is roux based. Very dark and rich.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:43 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Well to be fair, people have to park and drive and park and drive at Patton Creek just as they do at the Summit. But I totally agree that Summit sees way more cars then Patton Creek. There's so many other ways to get in and out of either it just makes it far more manageable. Except maybe weekend or holiday nights around the Rave.

Summit has two ways in, as mentioned and if you ever make it a point to use the back way in you will laugh at how quiet and easy it is compared to the raging death race that is going on at the main entrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area