Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 10,386 times

Advertisements

I'm a 29 year old single young professional looking for a church. Being new to town, I'm not aware of all the churches and their size or offerings. I'm a Methodist but I am open to Presbyterian and Episcopal churches. Looking for a church that has an active group of young professional adults, hopefully a singles class as well.
I live in Highland Park, but open to going over the mountain.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 01:32 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Highland Park, as in Southside? If so, there are some very strong churches in that area.

South Highlands Methodist (Five Points)
South Highlands Presbyterian (Highland Avenue near Highland Golf Course)
Independent Presbyterian (Highland Avenue near Five Points)
St. Marys On-The-Highlands Episcopal Church (Five Points)

The congregations of those churches all tend to be professional in nature.

Last edited by cpg35223; 05-07-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 07:40 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Also check out Trinity UMC in Homewood. Not far from you, and is a very large, thriving congregation. It has a lot of families (because Homewood), but has a good singles representation, too.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:57 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
I would suggest Church of the Highlands. The main campus is what most people attend but there are also other campuses to watch from a video feed if you wish. The church is nondenominational. I moved to Birmingham two years ago and this was the first place I went, despite advice from other people. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Some people in Birmingham call it a cult and all kinds of insane things... You just have to go to see why this church is the fastest growing church in America. It's one of the most free places on earth.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:01 PM

415 posts, read 802,343 times
South Highland Presbyterian would be my suggestion. My wife grew up in that church and we got married there. Lots of young professional types. I really like the pastor as well.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:40 PM

946 posts, read 775,777 times
I don't want to put a damper on your efforts to find a church for young professionals in B'ham but I will say stay out of the big churches in the suburbs. Focus on downtown or Highlands. I'm also a Christian single and gave up. (I live in the suburbs) There's a reason why Birmingham is often listed as a poor place for singles. That's because this is the Bible Belt, and many, many people get married at a very young age, as in 18-24, and the Churches in the suburbs generally represent that.

It is well known among Christian singles that have been living here for a while that singles groups, at least in the B'ham suburbs, are filled with people who are only going to church to date and mingle and prey upon the other sex. They are not there for God. Maybe 30% are there for God, but the others are not. What they do is go to church one place, and then when they get "exposed" or a relatonship doesn't work out, they go to another church. Of course this could be the same for the entire congregation.

I visited and attended chruches in the suburbs and gave up on feeling welcome or like I belonged. Churches in the suburbs are for family, family and then more family. As soon as you walk in the door at Church of the Highlands, there is a "Family Welcome Center". And you will feel as if you are walking into a Elementary School. No offense to the poster that mentioned this Church.

Again, don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just giving you my thoughts on Churches in the suburbs of B'ham Alabama for single Christians. Sorry for the long rant. But this is first hand experience.

Last edited by Blazin65; 05-09-2014 at 01:58 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 02:15 PM

69 posts, read 117,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm043 View Post
I'm a 29 year old single young professional looking for a church. Being new to town, I'm not aware of all the churches and their size or offerings. I'm a Methodist but I am open to Presbyterian and Episcopal churches. Looking for a church that has an active group of young professional adults, hopefully a singles class as well.
I live in Highland Park, but open to going over the mountain.

Thanks.
Would you consider the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

www.lds.org

Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Oh Lord,
where is this thread headed?

Raj

Old 05-10-2014, 06:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Oh Lord,

Raj
I don't know. The OP asked a simple question, but somebody always has to have an agenda.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:35 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Oh Lord,

Raj
Apparently not to the suburbs!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area