Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 AM

259 posts, read 166,151 times

Advertisements

My nephew is 21 and is moving from Montgomery to Birmingham area. His job is in Bessemer but at his age I recommended he find an apartment in Hoover which if I recall is convenient to Bessemer via interstate 459. I haven't lived in the area in almost twelve years but I remember that area was vibrant for young people and close to downtown, little five points, etc. He found a couple apartments next to Riverchase Galleria and is going to hopefully sign a lease this weekend did I give him good advice? Has the Bessemer area changed since I left as far as crime, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I think that you really need to give the apartments the eyeball test. That being said, if I were young and single, I'd either be on Southside or on 280. That part of Hoover for someone young and out of school is kind of the boonies at this point.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:19 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I agree. Hoover is more for young families. A single guy in his early 20s would much rather be on the Southside. 280 would also be a good choice, it is just a longer drive.

Bessemer has its issues, but I doubt he will have any problems going to his work and leaving when he is done. If he decides to hang out until the wee hours of the morning looking for trouble, he will find it there or anywhere.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Hoover isn't that vibrant for young 20somethings. At that age, I'd rather be within a stones throw of where the area's college kids live... and that is downtown and southside.

Traffic from downtown to Bessemer isn't bad at all in the mornings because rush hour goes the other way.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:07 PM

259 posts, read 166,151 times
Thanks for the replies!! He just told me today he ended up signing his lease over the weekend so apparently it is a done deal. The good thing it is only for six months so he can further explore these other areas should he decide he wants to move from Hoover. Oh well at least he can still drive and hang out in these places. I will tell him about Southside and 280. By southside you mean near UAB right?

Old 07-22-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosborne39 View Post
By southside you mean near UAB right?
Yes.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:51 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,156 times
Oooh... Yeah, I definitely wouldn't suggest Hoover for someone his age. But, of course, that depends on what he likes to do. If he wants to go shopping and eat, then yes. But as far as other things, I definitely would not suggest Hoover. I would say Southside/Downtown area. Of course, the drive isn't awful from Riverchase on weekends.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspacesbham View Post
Oooh... Yeah, I definitely wouldn't suggest Hoover for someone his age. But, of course, that depends on what he likes to do. If he wants to go shopping and eat, then yes. But as far as other things, I definitely would not suggest Hoover. I would say Southside/Downtown area. Of course, the drive isn't awful from Riverchase on weekends.
But it's an awfully long drive home at 2 a.m. on a Sunday morning.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
But it's an awfully long drive home at 2 a.m. on a Sunday morning.
Or an expensive cab ride.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:22 PM

946 posts, read 775,594 times
As someone who still goes out every now and then (both for shopping and restaurants or bars) and lives in Hoover, very near the Galleria, I would say he made the right choice. Very easy to get from the Galleria area to Bessemer. And very many places to eat and go out. You just have to find them and talk to someone.

I don't mean to be argumentative but I didn't see anywhere in the original post where the OP mentioned this young person would be going out all the time at night. It seems like it's just assumed. Surely the first 6 months or so the guy will focus on his job and try to be on the straight and narrow, before hitting the bar seen or social scense too fast. If I was a relative, I would probably be happy he chose the Galleria area rather than Southside.

Also, living on 280 for young people is not what is used to be. Most of those young people that moved there in the 80s and 90s now have families and live elsewhere, or at least they are not going out anymore. The singles crowd has dried up there quiet a bit over the past 10 years. (I was one of them) He will not be missing anything not living on 280.

But I do agree that Southside is a good choice. Maybe in 6 months he will wind up in Southside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area