Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 06:14 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! I am currently attending community college in Pennsylvania. I was accepted into Penn State, but choose community college due to its lower cost. Now, the time is coming to transfer to a four year university. Back when I was in high school, I looked at UA but chose not to apply out of the fear of rejection. Since I cannot make it down to Alabama anytime soon, it would be great if to hear from some prospective students/current students/alumni on what it is like attending UA!

#1. What is UA like? Is the campus beautiful? Is it challenging academically? Is it a party school?

#2. What is it like living in the South? I am an 18 (19 when I transfer) black guy from Philadelphia. Even though race/ethnicity do not matter to me (I have more white friends than black friends), does it matter much to the people of Tuscaloosa? If I offend anyone, I am sorry. I have only been to the South twice (Atlanta, Tuskegee, Birmingham, and Montgomery), so I have not really interacted with many Southerners; however, Northerners tend to look down on them (I actually admire the Southern way of life. It seems like people down South are kinder, hospitable, and have manners).

#3. Is Tuscaloosa a good college town? Is it far away from major cities such as Birmingham and Atlanta?

#4. Does UA have its own public transportation? If not, does Tuscaloosa have its own public transportation?

#5. Is UA and Tuscaloosa more liberal or conservative? I identify as conservative and vote Republican, but I do find liberal college towns fun since I am young.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 07:09 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
1. The campus is beautiful and has the best of just about every thing. It is a party school if one seeks parties, you'll find them. Otherwise you can be challenged and concentrate on your work.

2. Racism exists everywhere. Lots of UA students are from outside the state. Mamy types of lifestyles are represented.

3. Come on man, look at a map. Tuscaloosa is in Birmingham's back yard. Its 45 mins away from here.

4. A car is an advantage.

5. I think you will have no problem finding like minded people.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Hey there. Glad to help. I didn't attend UofA, but I'll try to answer anyway based on what I know from friends of mine who either went there or have kids going there.

1. It is a very nice campus that kind of sprawls and sits adjacent to Tuscaloosa, which is a nice small town. It does have a reputation as a party school, but not so much that you can't get a good education. One of the things, however, that I would caution you on is that the Greek System (Fraternities and Sororities) are a very dominant part of the social scene there. If that's not your style, then you might consider your options.

2. It's hard to tell you what the South is like, given that's all I've known. And since I'm a fifty-two-year-old white guy, I'm not an authority on what a black student might encounter. It seems harmonious enough on the Alabama campus, but remember that there was an incident where a white sorority tried to rush a black pledge and some of the older mossback alums put their foot down. It was a complete outrage for almost everybody and made me cringe to hear about that. But it's a reminder that the old guard, while dying out, can have an effect on the conversation. Five-ten years from now? Don't think they'll be a factor at all. And when friends and colleagues of mine who are black say that the racism that once was is almost non-existent today, I'll take their word for it.

3. Tuscaloosa is a pretty good college town with a good bit of nightlife. But remember that it's a college town. So if you want to find a broader range of things to do, you'll want to venture up to Birmingham or Atlanta. Birmingham, by the way, is only fifty miles away. Atlanta is a little under three hours.

4. Here's the skinny on transportation at UofA: Student Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities That being said, I'd advise having your own set of wheels as well. If you're an incoming freshman, you'll find it hard to get a parking permit if you live on campus.

5. Compared to the rest of the country? Much more conservative. Compared to the rest of Alabama? Relatively liberal.

What is your plan for study? That would affect our recommendations as well. Mind you, I'm trying to transcend the football rivalry and be balanced here, but I would encourage you to also look at Auburn University as well. It's a very nice campus, one where the Greek system isn't nearly as dominant a part of the social life. What's more, Auburn is a much stronger school in STEM majors such as engineering, et al (UAH would also be a superior choice, given the proximity of all the NASA and Defense contractors, although you'll miss having a cohesive campus experience there). In fact, I think a drive through both areas would be a great idea just to make sure things pass the eyeball test on your part.

Hope that helps. And I'm sure that other posters will come on and give advice that differs from my own. Good luck!

Last edited by cpg35223; 07-31-2014 at 07:36 PM..

Old 07-31-2014, 08:26 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
Thank you for your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
1. The campus is beautiful and has the best of just about every thing. It is a party school if one seeks parties, you'll find them. Otherwise you can be challenged and concentrate on your work.

2. Racism exists everywhere. Lots of UA students are from outside the state. Mamy types of lifestyles are represented.

3. Come on man, look at a map. Tuscaloosa is in Birmingham's back yard. Its 45 mins away from here.

4. A car is an advantage.

5. I think you will have no problem finding like minded people.
I agree with your #2. If I were to attend UC-Berkeley, I would probably experience the same thing. Again, I was not intending to offend anyone if I did. And I will definitely check out that map haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hey there. Glad to help. I didn't attend UofA, but I'll try to answer anyway based on what I know from friends of mine who either went there or have kids going there.

1. It is a very nice campus that kind of sprawls and sits adjacent to Tuscaloosa, which is a nice small town. It does have a reputation as a party school, but not so much that you can't get a good education. One of the things, however, that I would caution you on is that the Greek System (Fraternities and Sororities) are a very dominant part of the social scene there. If that's not your style, then you might consider your options.

2. It's hard to tell you what the South is like, given that's all I've known. And since I'm a fifty-two-year-old white guy, I'm not an authority on what a black student might encounter. It seems harmonious enough on the Alabama campus, but remember that there was an incident where a white sorority tried to rush a black pledge and some of the older mossback alums put their foot down. It was a complete outrage for almost everybody and made me cringe to hear about that. But it's a reminder that the old guard, while dying out, can have an effect on the conversation. Five-ten years from now? Don't think they'll be a factor at all. And when friends and colleagues of mine who are black say that the racism that once was is almost non-existent today, I'll take their word for it.

3. Tuscaloosa is a pretty good college town with a good bit of nightlife. But remember that it's a college town. So if you want to find a broader range of things to do, you'll want to venture up to Birmingham or Atlanta. Birmingham, by the way, is only fifty miles away. Atlanta is a little under three hours.

4. Here's the skinny on transportation at UofA: Student Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities That being said, I'd advise having your own set of wheels as well. If you're an incoming freshman, you'll find it hard to get a parking permit if you live on campus.

5. Compared to the rest of the country? Much more conservative. Compared to the rest of Alabama? Relatively liberal.

What is your plan for study? That would affect our recommendations as well. Mind you, I'm trying to transcend the football rivalry and be balanced here, but I would encourage you to also look at Auburn University as well. It's a very nice campus, one where the Greek system isn't nearly as dominant a part of the social life. What's more, Auburn is a much stronger school in STEM majors such as engineering, et al (UAH would also be a superior choice, given the proximity of all the NASA and Defense contractors, although you'll miss having a cohesive campus experience there). In fact, I think a drive through both areas would be a great idea just to make sure things pass the eyeball test on your part.

Hope that helps. And I'm sure that other posters will come on and give advice that differs from my own. Good luck!
This definitely does help! For my plan of study, I want to major in Biochemistry and attend medical school. From what you have said, I will definitely take a look at Auburn. Both schools seem large and prestigious. I have also heard great things about Auburn football. I know that schools in the SEC have a great football scene, which is something that I desire in a school. Finally, the strong STEM reputation is awesome since I mentioned that I want to major in Biochemistry. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:39 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Thank you for your replies!

I agree with your #2. If I were to attend UC-Berkeley, I would probably experience the same thing. Again, I was not intending to offend anyone if I did. And I will definitely check out that map haha!

This definitely does help! For my plan of study, I want to major in Biochemistry and attend medical school. From what you have said, I will definitely take a look at Auburn. Both schools seem large and prestigious. I have also heard great things about Auburn football. I know that schools in the SEC have a great football scene, which is something that I desire in a school. Finally, the strong STEM reputation is awesome since I mentioned that I want to major in Biochemistry. Thanks!
Tourian's answers were also really good. As for football, it really is quite an experience no matter where you might go in the SEC.

If you do take a look at Auburn (My daughter is a sophomore there this year and my son is an entering freshman, so please excuse my bias) it will be a smaller community than Tuscaloosa. At the same time, it's a cool town and is a pretty quick drive to Atlanta or Columbus, Georgia.

You'll also want to apply early to both schools. I believe that deadlines happen soon into the academic year. The fact that you're from Pennsylvania, however, will help your chances, given how both schools want to recruit students from around the country wherever possible.

Here's some information on Auburn's programs:

Biosystems Engineering
About Chemistry
Auburn Biomedical Engineering Society

Hope this helps!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 AM

10 posts, read 36,064 times
PhilliePhan2013. My advice: Come on down!! I have found Tuscaloosa and the University of Alabama to be welcoming communities. The city is the perfect size for me (approaching 100,000 residents with 24,000 more in neighboring Northport). The University of Alabama's academic standards are high and a degree will open doors all over the South (Although you will find -- as you noted -- a snobbish opinion of the South in general in your native Northeast from people who have never ventured outside that area). The campus is beautiful and there is a lively and active party scene. Bars and live music venues are mostly confined to the downtown entertainment district and the area near the campus known as The Strip. I've been here more than ten years and love it. I've lived on the East Coast, in the Northeast, the Southwest, Florida and the deep South. I've never found a place that I didn't like, but so far Tuscaloosa is the best. You will always find people who disparage any area. I have said many times to people outside our area that Tuscaloosa is home to 100,000 happy people who live here and many thousands more who wish they did. As far as Alabama is concerned, I've lived in only one other city in the state: Birmingham. I enjoyed my stay in Birmingham but much prefer Tuscaloosa. I there racism here? Yes, just as there is racism in all other parts of our nation.

You asked about public transportation. The University of Alabama's transit system (Tide Ride) is excellent and there is no charge for students, faculty and staff to ride. It covers the large campus well with frequent service. The city's transit system is limited to six routes that, quite frankly, do not cover the entire city.

Politically, Tuscaloosa among the most liberal cities in a very conservative state. Get involved, study and have a good time and you will enjoy your experience in Tuscaloosa. Who knows? You might even want to stay. I did.

Last edited by Tider; 08-04-2014 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-05-2014, 10:34 AM

10 posts, read 36,064 times
. .. My advice: Come check it out for yourself rather than depending and my obvious bias in favor or the city in which I live.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-05-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area